Symantec catches 8 apps on Microsoft Store that secretly mined for cryptocoin

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 20, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. cuneytcam

cuneytcam Member

GPU:
    Battery optimizer app logo and VPN+ app logo are misplaced. Why i did bother to point this out i have no idea.

SamuelL421 and Silva like this.
  3. bigfutus

bigfutus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 VENTUS 10G
    So in other words, Microsoft doesn't bother to run the apps even once.

4. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Your m$ store is brought to you by the same people that have given you hits like the all present Windows Defender.

You mean like their updates recently? :D

5. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    The main selling point of app stores is security. Without that, the MS store is more useless than it already is together with the limitations of UWP. Even Google Play/chrome store has these issues. Meh.

Backstabak likes this.
  6. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    If it's at all like the crypto-mining virus/malware I picked up a few years ago, it is anything *but* silent, fortunately. I noticed it because of my GPU fans ramping up to full when I was web browsing. Chased down the symptoms on the Internet and found a very easy-to-execute removal remedy--on a Steam forum, believe it or not. It amounted only to a few simple file deletions--no 3rd-party AV software required in that case. Nuked it immediately, and never had trouble again. Never did know where I picked it up, though...that was the baffling thing. (the Microsoft store either didn't exist at the time, or I had not used it, can't recall which.)

airbud7 and RzrTrek like this.
  7. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    so MS store is about as safe as google play store where they dont really test what is put up there to make sure it safe? or legal? I still refuse to use MS store and I never will.

the only app store I use is apple store for tablet and phone, and only thing I really downloaded from that is FFBE and Gmail and there assorted office apps

8. Yeah this stuff pains my ass been on it since utorrent got pwnd off years ago and now's crawling with mining among other clients... that was before the store came along...

same with browser extensions, no coin etc

9. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    They most probably do. But how can you know whether it's malware or not just by running it? These things are usually remote controlled. They only start mining once they get the "go" signal from a server they connect to.

10. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    How youtube video downloader is even allowed on M$ store. If this doesn't scream malware, I don't know what is.

11. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    This is very ironic as the main advertisement of MS store is security. They even have a setting in win 10 that only allows apps to be installed from their store, as they are supposedly secure. Finding like this just means they do not bother with any security there and it makes the entire thing obsolete.