Switching to 8Gbit/s

Discussion in 'Network questions and troubleshooting' started by mrrulez911, May 31, 2024.

1. mrrulez911

mrrulez911 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4080
    I've switched my current ISP speed to a 8Gbit per second connection. I've bought the TP-link TX401 to make the connection useful. I'm gonna check the current speeds and will report back about the results.

[​IMG]

Horus-Anhur and WhiteLightning like this.
  2. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    im getting 1gb/s next week myself :D

386SX and mrrulez911 like this.
  3. mrrulez911

mrrulez911 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4080
    Nice, which isp you're using? I've been on 500Mb since we had Alice as a ISP, then we've switched to KPN which provided 1Gb but was too expensive back then. Afterwards we've switched to T-Mobile which now is Odido and delivered us 1Gb for 5 years, now finally go to the next phase. I think I've only got 1 nvme drive which is capable of getting high speeds of writing, but we'll see. I want to do more of uploading then downloading, so it saves me a lot of time IF the servers of f.e. YT support this high speeds ofc.

4. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Im gonna be using Delta. I am using Ziggo right now but a 400/40 line. They are really expensive, so hopefully delta is better since i want to get rid of ziggo. I will pay less with them, and have more tv channels and faster internet.

mrrulez911 likes this.

5. mrrulez911

mrrulez911 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4080
    Ah nice! Yeah, I must say the time we had kpn we still used those setopboxes but since we are using only apps like NLZIET, Netflix, videoland, HBO we decided to pay only for internet.

I think, the 8Gbit will cost around € 85. Before we did pay € 30 for 1Gbit.

386SX likes this.
  6. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    Be happy.
    1Gbit/50Mbit is about 50 Euros in Germany and that is the best speed you can get as a private individual.
    Companies may get 1Gbit/1Gbit for about 1000 Euros per month.
    10/10Gbit is insane, about 5000 Euros per month.

I would LOVE to pay your prices. Really.

Is it 8/8Gbit or some asymmetric line like 8Gbit/100Mbit?

Edit: do you connect straight to your modem/router?

Last edited: May 31, 2024
    fantaskarsef and mrrulez911 like this.
  7. mrrulez911

mrrulez911 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4080
    My g*d that's crazy. Es tut mir leid, if that's correct. But ehm, it's 8Gbit up and down yes.

I still need to do the whole cabling and stuff.

So, I got a 50 meter cat. 7 1000Hz cable from a neighbor that he didn't use.

I'm gonna put the utp connectors on there, throw it in the empty wall pipe (google translate for in Dutch: Loze leiding), yeah really.

And perhaps in the near future and perhaps new house, I'm gonna get a 10Gbit switch, but now it's just my main (gaming)pc.

386SX likes this.
  8. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    mrrulez911 likes this.
  9. mrrulez911

mrrulez911 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4080
    Have a nice weekend!

That was exactly the one I was looking at yesterday lol.

386SX likes this.
  10. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    The only downside with this switch is: do not place it in a low ventilated area.
    If it is sitting in an open shelf or the like that is enough for it to work passively.
    I didn't care and put a box on top and the switch right in between two metal frames (NAS and firewall), which resulted in the fans spinning at full speed. The noise isn't "nice" (some high rpm noise).
    But shortly after I removed the box on top, less than 5 minutes later, the switch was 100% quiet again.

Edit: vlans work as well. Link aggregation, too, but only on specified / fixed ports. Read the manual before purchase if you're interested in that.

mrrulez911 likes this.

11. mrrulez911

mrrulez911 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4080
    Thnx for this info. It's gonna be a future product for me, but now I know some ins and outs so thnx for that. ;) Vielen dank

386SX likes this.
  12. skacikpl

skacikpl Maha Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 4090
    Does the ISP actually provide such connection on single port?
    There are very few consumer routers that can pass 10gbit traffic on single port so it'd seem counterproductive for most consumer grade ISPs to have them in offer, not to mention ONTs.

Most ISPs i've seen, at least in my country fake offers above 1gbit by claiming that the speed is guaranteed to the gate device and across entire household, since all individual ethernet ports on the router are 1gbit at best.

mrrulez911 likes this.
  13. mrrulez911

mrrulez911 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4080
    What I saw, is that they supply a Zyxel T-56 device, which has at least 1 10Gbit port. That port I'm gonna use for my main pc and the others for the rest in the house which already is full of mesh devices.

386SX likes this.
  14. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    I searched the web for this particular router and I only found this to be of some help:
    https://community.odido.nl/algemeen-538/zyxel-t-56-hoe-werkt-het-350643

I partially understand what is written there, but one image on that page shows the T56 as "only 2.5Gbps WAN/LAN".

[​IMG]

Are you sure this device offers a 10Gbit port? 2.5 GbE would give you about a third of what you should get.

mrrulez911 likes this.
  15. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Delta uses the Sagemcom Fast 5684

[​IMG]

It has a 10GB port .
    1gb connections or lower all get nokia modems.

I dont know which modem his ISP uses though.

mrrulez911 likes this.

16. mrrulez911

mrrulez911 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4080
    Thnx for your research. I've just received the package. I'm gonna check it later today and will report back about the device.

Edit:

You're correct. The t56 is just 2.5G lol.

I found out, that also this is inside the box.

https://e.huawei.com/en/products/optical-terminal/en8010ts-20

Edit 2:

Omg, just checked their website. They delivered the wrong modem. They had to deliver the t-75. I'm gonna give them a call.

Edit 3:

I was right, I've called with the customer service of Odido and he asked me why I did think that I've had received the wrong device. He did check it with his supervisor and came back with the answer that I indeed need to receive the Zyxel T-75 cause of the higher speed and the 8Gbit port on it. He told me to call with the mechanic about it, so that's what I'm doing now.

Edit 4:

The mechanic couldn't give me the green light if they would bring the correct device cause of the high speed. So I had to call again with the customer service of the ISP.

They made a ticket to their technical department which should give a response within 3 working days hehe.

The mechanic was planned for an appointment this Tuesday but rescheduled it to the upcoming Friday. Let's hope that the ISP delivers the Zyxel T-75 in time.

To be continued...

Last edited: Jun 1, 2024
    386SX likes this.
  17. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    I hate this behaviour of the technician.
    Usually a technician who is working for ISPs does carry a lot of devices around in the case there is a service request or else.
    Usually, if they have it in stock and they are not complete a$$holes, they would offer you to install one of their devices and get a new one sent by the ISP in question.
    ISPs usually only need the MAC address to provision the device, so they could send this info to the ISP, either up front or while at your home. The provisioning takes about 2 minutes.

Best luck. This is awful. There is a phrase in Germany for that. "Servicewüste", translates to "service desert", where you be left alone with your troubles. I sincerely hope it work out for you pretty fast. ;)

mrrulez911 likes this.
  18. mrrulez911

mrrulez911 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4080
    I still got faith.. :p

386SX likes this.
  19. mrrulez911

mrrulez911 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4080
    Tiny update:

Tomorrow it's Friday, and that was originally the 2nd day planned for the mechanic to come and install the right equipment. Unfortunately, after contacting both the ISP and the mechanic company, they were talking past each other. Resulting in a created case that gave me no outcome until 00:00 this morning. It says, we're still busy with solving your case. We'll inform you on any updates.

So, then I've had the appointment tomorrow canceled, got better things to do then wait 4 hours till the mechanic stops by. (like going to the zoo with my 4 year old daughter for the first time)

But, the other reason why I'd also canceled the appointment, is that neither the customer service employee of the ISP nor the employee on the phone of the mechanic company could give me a closure about who's taking care of the correct device, the Zyxel T-75.

And, yeah of course thus morning I did receive a call of the ISP with questions like, did you cancel the contract and did you arrange a contract with an other company? I said no, not by my knowledge hehe.

Ok, fine then. I also see that you've had canceled your appointment with the mechanic, is there a specific reason for that? Ehm, yeah. Cause you guys did send me in the middle of night an email stating that the case hasn't been resolved and it would take longer and we'll inform you when there's an update.

I was like, guys come on. I'm gonna pay €85 buck each month for just the 8Gbit line and probably be one of the first adaptors in Holland doing that. Fix it please.

He said, you need to make a new appointment with the mechanic, I was like.. No, really??

I've had explained him that the case wasn't resolved and on top of that no one told me who's gonna take care of the device.

He was quite fast with his answer, I advice you to make the appointment after you've received the correct device.

I was like, okay dude. Thnx for your information.

Which was again, completely different story from what the customer service employee and the other employee of the mechanical company said.

I'm like this close of complete cancelation of the whole shabam but I'm like, hmm I did buy the 10Gbit pci card for my pc and everything is ready to go. For this week no further update until the device arrives and/or I've created the appointment with the mechanic.

Btw, I'll probably very happy in a couple of moths after this is all over and I can up-and download with this extremely high speeds.

386SX likes this.
  20. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    Do you have both mail addresses of both companies? Write an email to both (1 mail and both mail addresses put into "TO:") and discuss with both while the "other" sees the response. It helped me in the past to get both parties to "the table".

Otherwise (like they do in Germany) ask if the ISP could send you a device and you create another appointment with the tech after the device arrived. (Just like the one guy told you.)

I still wish you best luck. ;)

mrrulez911 likes this.