Switching from Nvidia

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Runz, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Runz

Runz Active Member

GPU:
    CF 7970 Sapphire Ref.
    I am going to be replacing my two GTX 460s with 2x7970 and a AX1200 today. I am wondering what I need to do driver wise.

I keep a fairly clean os and really don't have a need for everything on it. Should I strip the drivers out and load up or should I reload the whole system?

I would rather have the best performance I can then save a few minutes of time, but if its unnecessary then I don't want to waste time.

Thanks,
    Runz

2. MyBrains

MyBrains Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7950 OC 950MHz
    Uninstall the nvidia drivers and then u'll probly need to run Driver Sweeper to get rid of the nvidia stuff but u can leave the PhysX. Run Ccleaner too but do ur usual reboots etc

3. Del_Boy

Del_Boy Banned

GPU:
    MSI R9 290 (2560x1600)
    Don't do it, if your green already for Pete's sake stay there !

4. PrEzi

PrEzi Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 64 LC
    Del_Boy:
    Grass ain't greener one either side, so please - stop trolling.

Runz - please be aware that there are (some) issues with two or more card-setups on both sides - be it SLI or CF. It's not like there won't be any issues - be it green or be it the red side.
    However (IMHO) I still prefer ATi/AMD ;)
    Good luck mate.

5. drac

drac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix RTX2080 Ti OC
    True both SLI and CF have issues, but CF has more. You'll get better game support with SLI, Nvidia have superior drivers. Personally I'd get 2x 580s or even 2x 590s or wait for Nvidia's next gen. 7970s are over priced for the performance at the moment, a 590 is quite a bit better and similar price... :rolleyes:

6. aayman_farzand

aayman_farzand Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    Woah that's a massive upgrade, almost 3 times the power lol. Do post back how they perform, after proper drivers of course.

7. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
  8. bokah

bokah Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 670GTX 2G
    some games does need config reset after swapping

i used both sli and cf in past, cf profiles took way much longer to get into drivers, its been awhile tho (and now u can make sli profiles anyway)

gl

9. Runz

Runz Active Member

GPU:
    CF 7970 Sapphire Ref.

Thanks,
    I made the switch and so far I am very happy.

The green team has no support for a guy like me in comparison to ATi.

I use 4 monitors 3 in span with 1 to run videos/netflix and what not. Because of this on a Nvidia setup I have to run 3 cards, or 2 cards and a USB VGA. However on my 7970s I run all 4 off the top card and it works great. The only issue I have so far is CF only works when I put SWTOR in fullscreen. As far as performance and what not I am very happy. I cant wait to see what they do when they have a proper driver and full support for CF in fullscreen (windowed) like I like to play in.

as far as performance, 1 7970 pulls about double the frame rate of my SLi GTX460 in 5760x1080.

10. Runz

Runz Active Member

GPU:
    CF 7970 Sapphire Ref.
    I recently got a decent pay bump and operate on a tic tock with my system.

Next year I will upgrade CPU, MOBO, MEM so this year its graphics time.

I would rather have the most powerful I can than spend 200 less.

I am very pleased with the cards so far.

11. Runz

Runz Active Member

GPU:
    CF 7970 Sapphire Ref.
    Once card pulls double the frame rate with far more stability. All that with the current drivers being in their infancy.

Played BF3 in crossfire like a champ!

12. drac

drac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix RTX2080 Ti OC
    Good to hear mate, nice upgrade that is for sure and who knows when NV will release their next gen. So if your not fond of waiting for who knows how long, and don't mind the extra cost then definitely a solid choice. Only negative I've found with Nvidia is they can be painful sometimes, when you have to wait for them to release their new cards, especially if you are looking for a new one(s).

13. alphaproxima

alphaproxima Active Member

GPU:
    ATI 5850 @1040/1200
    I suggest u reinstall windows. Drivercleaner might not make things perfect, dont risk it imo.

14. Runz

Runz Active Member

GPU:
    CF 7970 Sapphire Ref.
    Did it almost a week ago, been fine for many hours of gaming.

15. bryonhowley

bryonhowley Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI
    Well that is a load of ****! When is the last time you even used a ATI video card? Hell my Intel/Nvidia rig will crash the video driver just sitting at the desktop doing nothing there is Nvidia's superior drivers for you! On top of that when I can get that rig to play a game I get micro stutter in most all current games not so with my AMD/ATI rig.

16. bonob

bonob Master Guru

GPU:
    radeon hd 6970 2 go
    i think the op must reinstall is mb driver aswell

17. Runz

Runz Active Member

GPU:
    CF 7970 Sapphire Ref.
    Never reinstalled MB drivers and having 0 issues.

18. Matthew Simis

Matthew Simis Active Member

GPU:
    HD7970 + GT240 Physx
    In fairness, Id agree with him. I have a bunch of systems and flip between Nvidia all the time. There is a huge difference in the effort and annoying software issues between NV and ATI. ATI (AMD) is fun and does things NV cant (eg. like Runz said, the SLI requirement for Surround) but good god their drivers and game fixing patches and Cat Profiles and conflicting driver release versions are like something from 15years ago and market infancy. Shocking stuff.

For people who want to spend more time playing games than fixing them, Id recommend NV. Id use AMD as I like the challenge, but I wouldnt recommend them.
    Lol, I rest my case. New (AMD) graphics card = completely new OS setup? Kinda defeats the flexibility of PCs doesnt it? I didnt and wouldnt entertain this, but amusingly par for the course on an AMD Driver forum.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  19. Runz

Runz Active Member

GPU:
    CF 7970 Sapphire Ref.
    Well said, being in IT I have no problem fixing and figuring out my issues, but I dont recommend it to others. For me the small annoyances are well worth the extra features and at this point power.

If NV comes out with some killer cards in 5 months that slaughter my 7970 I might switch back, but its doubtful as I only play SWTOR at this point.

20. syncore

syncore Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6990 4GB + XFX GTS250
    Crossfire is a pain in the ass, with new games especially... However, the new application profile support may ease the pain somewhat. Personally, I can't wait to go back to the green side myself... I don't know if 12.1 supports 7970, but if it does then I would use that with your 7970 since it has the custom application profile creator

And before people say I'm dumb/they've had zero driver issues etc., try not being cheap for a change and try playing new titles across multiple monitors with multiple gpus then come and talk

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012