Switched to a Bob-O-Pedic after my entire bedlife on Box Springs.

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Mkilbride, Mar 26, 2011.

1. scrapser

scrapser Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    I worked in the furniture industry for 7 years and learned quite a bit during that time.

A few years after I left the industry I bought a futon mattress in 1993 that came with a wooden lattice frame made of Ash. The whole thing cost $450. The mattress is 9" thick and made with a multi-core design. Every 6 months all I need to do is take the mattress off the frame and knead it a little, flip it over and spin it 180 degrees. I've had it for what...24 years now and it remains comfortable. Absolutely no complaints.

I would never buy anything from Bob's or Ikea. They both sell junk in terms of material and workmanship. Yes, you might get lucky but the better approach is to learn what makes good furniture and go out and find it. You will discover you can never judge anything by price alone.

2. ayakaza

ayakaza Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1080 AORUS
    I used to get waken by my ex when she was moving like a crocodile until i was offered a beautyrest black for free . But with those kind of mattress i think ill live in this small condo forever because it was such a pain in the ass to lift.

3. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Strix
    Congrats on your new Bed!

Coming from someone with huge back problems I would like to add something to this...I have 3 slipped discs in my lower back so sleeping is something I take seriously! I noticed the last couple of months my back kept hurting more and more, I even made a thread about it here on Guru anyway....It was the bed causing my lower back to hurt even more, So I started sleeping on the Floor- I have not had 1 bad day since then! I will be getting something similar as you guys real soon.

4. scrapser

scrapser Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    You reminded me of my waterbed days. I had back problems from an injury lifting a heavy object when I was 22. I bought a baffled waterbed about 10 years later and what a mistake that was. I began to experience numbness in my lower legs that took several years to recover from once I got rid of the waterbed. Never again.

5. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
    I have a thick wooden board under my side of the mattress because if can only sleep on a really solid mattress, soft beds for me are a absolute nightmare for my back, can never use them, just so uncomfortable in every way.

6. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    I had a quick look online and found this review synopsis:
    http://www.sleeplikethedead.com/mattress-reviews-bobopedic.html

Lifespan doesn't look exceptional either. That said, you get what you pay for. Also, if Trump got a whiff of it being made in China... Thing I would be concerned about though is that there are dangerous chemicals that are used for some of these imported mattresses, it's quite possibly why people have reported that some of these mattresses stink for a start. I'd give it a good airing before using it!

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
  7. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
    I use a Silentnight Mirapocket, best mattress ever.

8. IcE

IcE Don Snow Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    Wtf lol. Why did you bump a 6 year old thread? I'm going to leave it open because I want answers lol