Switched to a Bob-O-Pedic after my entire bedlife on Box Springs.

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Mkilbride, Mar 26, 2011.

1. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    Got to say, I was skeptical, because I had one of those memory foam pillows like 10 years ago and it was meh at best.

I've had the same bed, for well, as long as I've been using beds...so it's quite old, and indeed was broken, saggy, all that.

So I went into Bobs, and they had very awesome salesmen. I was actually surprised, not sure what the term is, but the guy felt like he wasn't trying to put me into a high pressure situation, he seemed down to earth, like talking with a buddy, and this is coming from someone who is suspicious of everyones motives(A little paranoid).

So he showed me another box-spring like I had, layed on it, was pretty comfy, better than my current run down one, but he showed me one of those Bob-O-Pedics for only 34$ more, so I decided to try it. Of course it's hard to relax in a bed like you would in a store, but I found it great. Like sleeping on air or something.

He gave me one of these bed covers for it that traps dust mites, bodily fluids, ect, very nice, you get 10 of them, and it's not like they're throw-aways, these are high quality, and infact, re-usable, so giving me 10 is pretty damn generous of them.

The foam fits very well onto my frame, I experience no discomfort, and I used to need two pillows, but now I only need one and I get the same support.

It's higher off the ground than my old one, and everything is pretty great so far. 15 year Warranty, non-pro rated, which means anything goes wrong, they pay for it. It even covers burning, which I don't think I'd cover in a warranty if I was them, because you burn your bed...seems like it was your fault.

They also have a 60 day money back thing, you can use it for 60 days and if you don't like it, full money back, or can exchange it for another, quite awesome.

Cost about 334$ for the bed or so( I already had a frame).

I looked at Tempur-pedic, and the same Twin sized bed they had was like 850$...and according to every review I've found, the only difference is that Tempur is made in America, while Bob's is made over-seas. I think I can deal with that HUGE price cut...I mean basically everything else is made over-seas, and I'm not one of those national pride fools who thinks if it's made in America, it HAS to be better.

Bobs is pretty sweet, the deals are insane, the products are quality, and they support you well. It's a real family feeling there, a generic thing to say, but it's true. Bob meets with every new employee of his over 40 stores, personally, which shows something, I suppose, he's not to big for his britches.

Now I understand why other competitors hate Bob, he's charging half the price for the same products, infact, I read an article showing that other furniture places had to lower their prices by at least 40% to compete, and offer special deals due to Bobs sudden eruption in the market.

Mm, so Pedic beds are quite good, I'd recommend them to all, until the next thing comes along.

2. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    Lol, I'm sleeping on a military cot, I kid you not, for a few years now.
    Similar to this but a little more wider
    [​IMG]
    Chicks are not impressed, and I haven't gotten any action since...but there could be other reasons...

Sometimes I sleep on the floor because I'm so used to it. I don't like box springs because they are noisy and I feel better closer to or on the floor.

I have a bunch of extra pillows and blankets because my place is sometimes the crash spot if people get too drunk. I'd rather have people pass out than drive home really. Sometimes, I don't even get to sleep in my own bed ;/

Last edited: Mar 26, 2011
  3. Iggyblack

Iggyblack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY GTX 960 1330/1790
    i use a Sealy pillow top matress

[​IMG]

greatest bed ever invented(at least for me) does not feel like a spring mattress at all and OMG its so comfortable.
    mostly due to the extra layer on top of the bed, hence the name pillow top haha.

also use a tempurpedic pillow
    [​IMG]

4. lIqUI[]

lIqUI[] Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 680DCU II OC
    A couple months ago I got a killer deal on a $3000 latex top mattress at a local store that was moving down the street, and having a great sale. When the clerk told me $650 I was sold instantly. For the life of me I can't even remember the brand right now, but it was the most expensive mattress in the store.

It is easily the softest mattress I have ever been on, and it is so large not only did I have to buy the deepest pocket sheets I could find, but I had to get those straps for the bottom because the sheets still popped off at night.

5. MrH

MrH Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Armour
    I have a Dreams divan bed, it's nice. I really need to get some better pillows though.

6. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    I just cant do anything like Tempur beds. I have to have frim beds because I sleep on my stomach and since I sink in on Tempur like stuff I feel like I cant breathe. Plus I swear it feels like they get ultra hot. I'd go with the thin pillow top.

7. Wicky

Wicky Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon 5850
    a man's bed is the birthplace of his dreams (multiply with 2)

8. TyrantofJustice

TyrantofJustice Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 super
    I sleep on a brand new futon and there is no room to put it into a bed position

9. Renegade8100

Renegade8100 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    milkbride works for bobs marketing department now lol. I sleep on an airbed but that bob-o-pedic has had my eye for a while

10. Psychlone

Psychlone Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD5970 Engineering
    TempurPedic ALL the way.
    I have had minor back problems since I was 17 and was in a fatal drunk-driving accident in CA. (we got hit by a drunk driver, he bounced off us and killed the girl just behind us)

Anyway, I've suffered with vertebra that are consistently out - it's always C1-C4 and T4-T6/7, sometimes (rarely, but still on occasion) L4/5.
    I've done all the stretches and exercises that I've been told to do, gone to Chriopractors for years (They call me a Chiro-baby now because I know all the moves and don't scream like the noobs), but nothing brought me relief like my TempurPedic bed.

Cost me something like $2200USD - last one in the store (was expecting delivery of more in a week, but I was in "upgrade-mode", had the cash and was one of those spontaneous buys)

I couldn't be happier with it! The salesman had nothing to do with it - he simply told me the bed sells itself, so I lay on it for about 10 minutes in the store, tried different positions and couldn't believe that my back didn't hurt at all!!

Anyway, I don't own stock or work for TempurPedic, but for anyone that has had any back problems (again, mine are minimal compared to what other people live with!), the TempurPedic is definitely worth every dime you pay for it!

Psychlone

11. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    Yeah, and a Bob-O-Pedic is exactly the same as one, but at a third of the cost!

:p

They're not hot at all, in fact, and I got a firm version. It's firm for me, I sleep on my back, can't imagine sleeping on my stomach, I'd feel sick.(I also have an odd panic attack when I sleep with my back exposed).

And 3000$ mattress, at 650$? Must have been a going out of business. I think anyone who would actually spend that 3,000$ on the bed is an idiot, even if they're rich, unless it was for some type of medical condition, but based on what you've said; it's not.

2200$? Mine was a Twin, so 334$ Bob Had a King for like 600$, and a Queen for 900, with a Double King for like 1600$.

I can't imagine breaking the 1,000$ mark on a bed.

12. Iggyblack

Iggyblack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY GTX 960 1330/1790
    a king is bigger than a queen :3eyes:

13. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    I can sleep on most beds as long as they don't have like a dodgy spring or anything, but my flat mates is so comfy. saying that I fell asleep on a wood floor the other evening and was fine lol. I can only sleep on my side.

14. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    Not around here, because I've always been told Queen Size is bigger than King, and seen it as so. Maybe it's a northern thing. :p

15. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    Kings are definitely bigger.

I love my Tempur stuff though as well. Expensive but when you spend so much time in bed in your life, you may as well be comfortable.

It's one of the most crucial things to spend your money on.

16. Doug

Doug Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Bought this last year, best £400 I ever spent I love it

[​IMG]

17. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    i can sleep almost anywhere..\
    i sleep very little so buying a bed wasn't a big thing to me
    until now...

18. Psychlone

Psychlone Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD5970 Engineering
    Sorry Friend, but you've been misled.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bed_size
    [​IMG]

King is the bigger bed wherever you are, and California King is the largest.

I purchased the TempurPedic 12" Cali-King and couldn't be happier. I checked out a Bob-O-Pedic site (the only one that seemed like a real website) and after reading about those beds, they're clearly NOT the same thing as a TempurPedic...they're knock-offs, which is why they're sold so cheap.
    I have 12" of real Tempurpedic visco-elastic memory foam and a 20 year warranty, and the Bob-O-Pedic has 8" of "subcontracted to the lowest bidder" visco-elastic memory foam (that somehow can be altered to a different firmness level) and a 15 year warranty (warranty terms aren't bad though IF they stand behind it - the BBB gives them a D- rating which means they don't stand behind their warranty like they say they do...check it out!!)

Just sayin' - THIS is why I paid more, and going back to what Finchwizard mentioned, we spend a full third of our lives in bed, so reading reviews, doing your due diligence and research on the available products and finally making an informed decision shouldn't have a price attached to it. In all, it shouldn't matter what you pay for a mattress if you consider how much of your life is spent in one.

Really, I shouldn't be bagging on anyone's bed - I only just recently purchased mine after a lifetime (38 years) of inner-spring/boxspring beds. But, I did do my due-diligence and made a decision based on what was best for me, not what was the best price - in fact, I paid more for this bed than it's actually worth by about $200 because it was the last one left and I didn't want to wait for the next shipment. Again, it shouldn't be about what you spend on it, but how it performs - and if you're happy with how your bed feels and more importantly, how YOU feel when you wake up in the morning, then there's nothing to worry about.

Psychlone

Last edited: Mar 27, 2011
  19. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    I'm sorry, but there are many websites where you can find the info about both beds, and "cheap knockoff" doesn't really suit it.

It is the same thing, made with the same materials, one complaint was low density foam used in his, but you can order the high density like other beds if you want, at no extra charge.

The second is Tempur is made in America, while Bob's are made over-seas. Now, I live in America, but I'm not such an idiot that I believe that because "Made in America" is on the label, it suddenly makes the product better than any over seas.

Plus, your warranty is pro-rated, which means you pay for replacements, things that go wrong, or if you **** it up. Bobs is non-pro rated. Which means even if I somehow burned this entire thing, they'd replace it for free.

You paid for a name brand. Like those people who buy a 160$ pair of sneakers and claim they're superior to a 50$ pair, when they're really not, and it's just the brand.

I've research the Bobs quite diligently and pretty much everyone but Tempur-pedic admits it's the same thing.

20. TyrantofJustice

TyrantofJustice Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 super
    I agree about king beds seeming smaller than a queen...might be because it is shorter in length