1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

switch to mcafee free year?

Discussion in 'General Software and Applications' started by dsbig, Jun 28, 2010.

1. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070
    my bank (bank of america) has an offer where I can get full mcafee security 2010 with free year and 50% off for the following year. do you guys think I just stay with my free Avira antivirus with go the mcafee offer?

2. Leafblower

Leafblower Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 760 SLI
    McAfee sucks so much It's a trojan in itself. (of course that's my opinion.)

3. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    it rates better than the free Avira in most AV reviews i've seen. then again i never put much faith in freeware versions of security products, you get what you pay for.
    though i think security essentials rated better than Avira in pcworld
    just read some pro reviews of both and decide for yourself cause everyone else opinions vary based on nothing, its not like anyone tests each one with tons of real malware like the pro reviewers do

4. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
    As a person who has used mcafee myself i would personally say stay from it because its bloated and painfully slow

infact i got hold of someones laptop since they said it was being slow etc etc and i noticed in the taskmanager these odd .exe files which turned out to be viruses and yet mcafee pretty much did nothing even a direct scan on the files didnt do anything

but i managed to install kaspersky which started disinfecting the machine pretty much straight away but in short i would only trust kasperksy or nod32 security wise

5. Svein_Skogen

Svein_Skogen Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX570, ASUS+eVGA
    Most AV programs I've seen (there are a few exceptions to this rule, McAfee isn't one of them, nor is anything bloated by Symantec) behave in ways that make them worse than what they're supposed to protect you against...

//Svein

6. dshramek

dshramek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1070
    I used McAfee free through Comcast for many years. I switched last year because they put out an update definition that accidentally removed a boot file from windows. If a company is that reckless, I could not use them. It was the 2nd time in 4 years that they did that. It left many user unable to boot into Windows.

7. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070
    and what about avast. I noticed they are doing a deal 2 years for $59.95

8. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
    Go on kasperskys site i believe you can preorder the 2011 at about the same cost :) which is also 2years or cheaper for 1year which ever is best

9. Svein_Skogen

Svein_Skogen Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX570, ASUS+eVGA
    Avast is one of the ... least harmful antivirus solutions.

However, the absolutely, hands down, best antivirus solution is to install a cynicism filter in the wetware...

//Svein

10. pogostickio

pogostickio Master Guru

GPU:
    Hallryu's HIS 5850 GPU
    I'll give a thumbs up for Kaspesky Internet Security. For the past two years the society I work for has been running a one year subscription to employees on their home pc's. Excellent and non-invasive internet security = 10/10.

If I couldn't get another free subscription I would buy one. :)

11. Stingray

Stingray Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 1080GTX AMP Edition
    Not in a million years.

Using Microsoft Security Essentials (Free) right now and love it. Takes up little resource. Very discrete updates. You won't even notice it's running.

12. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    Mcafuk sux ass!

Avira FTW:thumbup:

13. Anubis

Anubis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 760 4GB
    I'd reccomend Bitdefender..
    You can choose yourself what you want by your needs, but Bitdefender Total Security 2010 did it totaly for me..

Bitdefender TS costs $69.95 - 3 PCs / 1 year, so it's preety much a great deal if you ask me
    Antivirus only is $29.95 - 3 PCs / 1 year, not bad either, but I like the "extra" stuff in TS

edit:
    And yes, stay far far away from Mcaffe's and Symantec's products..

edit#2:
    And for Kaspersky.. I've used Kaspersky IS for two years before trying Bitdefender.. Got nothing against it, but now I see that compared to BitDefender, Kaspersky is slow and resource-hungry as hell...

Last edited: Jun 28, 2010
  14. nvlddmkm

nvlddmkm Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX285
    Been a Trend Micro user for quite a while now. It's very low weight, contains no bloat-ware, easy to use, and uses heuristic scanning as well. The other alternative would be NOD 32 by ESET imho.

15. Svein_Skogen

Svein_Skogen Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX570, ASUS+eVGA
    I'd say stick with "proper thinking before clicking on stuff" is still the best option. If that fails, go with Avast or MSE. ;)

I should add that I use the cynical mindset + once-a-week scan via ClamAV (boot from CD and scan FSes). It's clean so far...

//Svein

16. dockap

dockap Master Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 470 sli
    free versions of avast+malwarebytes+advanced system care:thumbup:

17. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
    I agree its currently sitting in the background using a total of 24mb of ram and 0% cpu, so on that note il guess i need to swap 4GB for 8GB of ram because clearly 24mb is TOO MUCH :banana:

18. jaydeee

jaydeee Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 7600GT
    I've used in with my previous company... its resources hunger.
    Suggest if its just personal use try AVAST which is also free, effective and very light on resources.