SweetFX Shader Suite release and discussion thread

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by CeeJay.dk, Sep 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smashly

smashly Master Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 560ti / GTX 670
    Hi,
    Bloom was about the only setting I could see that used such a wide range for precision.

Your right about the limit I reported sounding weird, so I manually forced a range a step at a time first in Max direction then in Min direction.
    I hit the limit of Max 32767 and Min -32768, which makes a little more sense (Total 65535 from -min to +max).

What I do find odd is I can not use Min 0 To Max 65535 or Min -65535 To Max 0

Prior I just set the min/max as -+80000 and it came back as the max limit -+14464.
    I should know better then to assume....lol
    I did a brief search on MSDN and they don't really tell you the min/max limit of a predefined trackbar control.
    They mention GetMin/MaxRange, SetMin/MaxRange but no mention of the actual limit of the range.

2. NeoEnigma

NeoEnigma Master Guru

GPU:
    ---
    That was the point. Just screwing around with settings\color tones to see whats possible. I kinda like the effect. The purple tones give it a more ominous tone I think.

I've played Dishonored to death. I've posted a ton of screens in this thread with my "serious settings" so people know the potential for making the base game look better. Now I'm exaggerating it and creating a new look for funsies :)

3. quickshot101

quickshot101 New Member

GPU:
    512 ati 4850 mobile
    I had a fun interview with ceejay regarding SweetFX. Talks about what got him started making SweetFX, future plans, and the overall workings off the program. If you like this injector and are a "nerdy" "techy" kind of person then im sure you will enjoy the interview. Check it out @ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vb45pio0c3I

4. Wanny

Wanny Guest

It can be a bit hard to avoid crushing blacks true. But, it makes you wonder sometimes why developpers decided to create a lighting like a big washed out sun following you even inside buildings and at night.

5. lycanwrath

lycanwrath Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX480 8GB ref
    This keeps getting nicer and nicer, anyone can post their results with the 1.3 version on BF3 please.

I refrain from doing so myself coz am a bit colorblind :)

6. CeeJay.dk

CeeJay.dk Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 6870
    Don't let that stop you - I am too btw.

7. NeoEnigma

NeoEnigma Master Guru

GPU:
    ---
    Commenting on the shadows in dishonored is... tricky business. They used a combination of POORLY implemented baked shadows and (RARELY used) dynamic shadows. And they have a completely different consistency as far as darkness.

When I actually tried to tweak this game and put in real black levels, a lot of the game got REALLY dark. The screens I posted mots recently reflect this rather well. In the first image, there is 0 contrast. Looks washed out. And for that area of the game (which is trying to convey a certain ominous mood\tone), it looks awful. It's really difficult to distinguish shadowed surfaces and lit surfaces. Which is why, when you inject any sort of contrast, it gets REALLY dark.

It's a shame this game has no mod support.

8. CeeJay.dk

CeeJay.dk Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 6870
    I wish I didn't freeze up so much, but I got nervous once the interview actually started and I became super aware this would be up on youtube for all to hear.
    It was a lot easier to relax and not trip on the words before you started recording.

That said - I think it went ok.

You came through just as clear on my end as you do in the video so the sound problems were either on my end or caused by choosing a server with great ping for me , but maybe not so much for. It would probably have been best if the person recording had the better sound if one needs to choose.
    Anyways I doubt it was Mumbles fault.

9. CeeJay.dk

CeeJay.dk Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 6870
    I could make the shader take a reading of how bright the current scene is and then adjust the contrast based on that.
    It would not be a smooth transition over a few seconds like with digital eye adaptation, but it would be instant from frame to frame, because I can't read any data from the previous frames with the InjectSMAA injector that I could have used to figure out how fast I should make it adapt.

It's an idea I could try for future versions of SweetFX.
    Maybe if I limited how much it could adapt I could keep the effect from being distracting.
    Essentially this would be a limited form of tonemapping only done with a low dynamic range (LDR) , rather than a high dynamic range (HDR).

10. Marcel

Marcel Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming
    Dishonored

still I do not have it finished, but already it looks like according to my ideas

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. NeoEnigma

NeoEnigma Master Guru

GPU:
    ---
    Sounds like a lot of tricky work. In general, I think sweetfx provides a lot of great features and tools to improve these scenarios. I was really trying to make a point of how BAD Dishonored is as far as consistency in the lighting\shadow department. It's almost beyond fixable. You can get it 80% right, but then theres 20% where the game is just too damn dark.

The only way I see fixing this game correctly is a system kinda like ENB for skyrim where you have separate settings for day and night. I'm not entirely sure how he detects day and night, but you can get them looking exactly how you want with the right settings. I know it syncs up pretty well with the game's day\night cycles too, though it uses night-time settings for indoors and day-time settings for caves. Still a huge improvement.

I don't think Dishonored is a big enough game to invest too much time on though. If they made it bigger and open-world, I'd probably never stop playing it, and would be begging you or Boris (ENB) for some solutions :)

12. PirateNeilsouth

PirateNeilsouth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    980 OC
    Marcel be careful of your blacks

13. NeoEnigma

NeoEnigma Master Guru

GPU:
    ---
    Indeed. They aren't black enough!

14. CeeJay.dk

CeeJay.dk Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 6870
    Nfs:hp 2010

Using SweetFX 1.2 (with the default settings I think)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 22, 2012
  15. Marcel

Marcel Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming
    is difficult to make a good black because it has an impact on other colors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. NeoEnigma

NeoEnigma Master Guru

GPU:
    ---
    You're changing the settings to make the game look as good as you want it to look. Don't let other people tell you how to tweak it. If people like your screenshots, you can share them. If they don't, who cares.

The issue with this game and "blacks" is that if you want REAL shadows, you'll have to deal with the areas of the game where the shadows are VERY inconsistent. The very first area (where the empress is killed) is one such location. Another big offender is the Hound Pits Pub at various times of day. You have to make concessions. After I stopped tweaking Dishonored for other people, I made it a moody and atmospheric game the way *I* wanted to.

This is what the game considers to be "night" time:

[​IMG]

What a joke. Where are the shadows? Everywhere, and yet it's still VERY bright. THIS is what *I* consider to be night:
    [​IMG]

Those same settings produce this during the day:
    [​IMG]

You know what happens when you're in a dark room with a spotlight?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I really don't care if my shadows \ black levels are different colors than the vanilla game at this point. I changed the color palette on purpose. Because I like it.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2012
  17. lowenz

lowenz Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 750Ti
    Yes.
    And maybe rename "HDR" setting to something less confusing :D

18. Marcel

Marcel Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming
    Neo Enigma

...I do not want to create a realistic looking setting. I add green and blue into shadows because i like it. but Dishonored have problematic black color on default settings because any location have different color depths. Good looking settings in current mission do not look good in next mission.Your setting look nice but is too dark with strong contrast for me. Is nice for make good screenshots but is not to play it for me.

19. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX AMD Vanguard

GPU:
    Intel HD630
    Marcel : I hope you dont looking at his pictures on TN panel type LCD :D

20. KyleN

KyleN Member

GPU:
    gtx 670
    Cant get it to work with Medal of honor warfighter. Any tips?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.