SweetFX Shader Suite release and discussion thread

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by CeeJay.dk, Sep 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. willhub2012

willhub2012 Member

GPU:
    HD5870 XFX
    Extract everything from the zip? Yes I did, I've kept the file structure intact.

I'm sure some people have this SweetFX working in DX11 on Far Cry 3, a guy on another forum claims to anyway.

Thanks! It works, even in DX9 it's looking better than stock DX11 now, but what features are missed in DX9?

Any ideas on how this mod can work with DX11?

Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
  2. dmxdex

dmxdex Active Member

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 470 0C.
    Does anyone have a dead island config?

3. TonyTurbo

TonyTurbo Master Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 @ 1750/1180
    not sure whats missed out by not using dx11 but dx9 is so beautiful anwyay.

As for when the mod will work on dx11.....I have no idea. I just watch this space, but like I said, I don't miss it anyway. And dx11 is a resource hog anyway unless you got a punchy rig.

4. willhub2012

willhub2012 Member

GPU:
    HD5870 XFX
    The differences with this SweetFX seem very small.

5. Boulotaur2024

Boulotaur2024 Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD HD7950
    First of all thanks for all the information Ceejay.DK, I learned a lot from your post.

Thing is I get ugly results by using a negative sharp, artefacts everywhere and weird pattern...
    So I kept on trying and trying and it looks like I'm finally getting a decent blur result :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Code is from Jan-Willem Krans video shaders pack, I have no idea what algorithm he's using but it looks GOOD, better than anything I've tried so far, smooth gaussian blur. I'm afraid it's pretty heavy on the GPU though so I guess it's a no go for you...

If anyone's interested I put everything in an archive. Just overwrite your sweetfx settings with this (back them up before ofc).
    3 blur flavours from light to strong (BlurStrength = 1|2|3) tweakable in the SweetFX_settings.txt

EDIT : aww, there's an issue when chaining multiple effects, it overwrites the previous effects in the chain order :/ ah well, happy new year :)

6. StixsmasterHD

StixsmasterHD Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce GTS 240
  7. CeeJay.dk

CeeJay.dk Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 6870
    Odd. I don't.

The reason it looks good is because it's using a larger radius.
    The r=6 blur has a radius of 6. This means it covers a (6+1+6)^2 area. Since he's using discrete samples (one sample = 1 pixel) , instead of the linear sampling trick we discussed earlier, it means his shader takes 169 samples.

That's an extreme amount for a shader meant for gaming (his is meant for video post processing but it's still an extreme amount)

With linear sampling I can reduce that to 49 samples, much faster but still very very slow. If I could use two passes I could reduce that (assuming I used linear sampling) to only 14 samples (and the extra performance overhead of an extra pass) which isn't fast, but is acceptable.

I can actually do two passes with the FXAA injector, but only if I don't do FXAA - I might be able to that with the SMAA injector too , if I don't do SMAA.
    But I think I'll wait for a better shader injector. If that doesn't come I'll try to look for a way to piggyback the first pass onto one of the passes SMAA uses. There might be room for a one channel (luma) blur in it's edge or blend surface - hopefully that won't destroy the branching.

BTW He's not doing a gaussian blur - he's doing a simple box blur which has a stronger effect using the same radius, because all samples are weighted equally. You may have noticed, he simply divides the result at the end by the number of samples he used - getting an average of all of them.
    A gaussian blur uses a weighted average which looks smoother but requires a larger radius to look strong enough.

If you want I can make you a smaller radius box blur that will run at an okay speed. I can also make one with a big blur radius but it will run very slowly.

8. Warpy

Warpy Master Guru

GPU:
    2X 980Ti Poseidon PLAT
    I am hoping someone can help me, I have Google'd for ages trying to work this out.

I have retail copy of Far Cry 3, I have downloaded SweetFX and I want some help in installing the SweetFX mod with Helix 3Dvision fix, it basically has a d3d9.dll. I have tried different combinations with putting the files in different spots with no luck, as well as editing the DX9Settings.ini that comes with the 3dfix please can someone explain for me.

The 3dfix is this: from Helix mod who does 3dvision fixes for games.

Thanks!

9. Boulotaur2024

Boulotaur2024 Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD HD7950
    Ok I might have pushed the offset_bias value too hard, which results in artefacts, but I get it : large radius blur requires a lot of GPU resources and we're limited to 1 pass, contrary to ENB.

You know I was about say "no, don't bother with this since I'm the only guy in the world that cares about blur versus sharpness", and while it's true, I believe that working on such an algorithm could lead to creating a very nice glow effect, which I think people really do care about, so why not, if you have time, don't bother otherwise.

Setting the order of the various effects in the FX chain would be indeed useful too (much like FXAA Tool does iirc).

Happy new year everyone, keep posting oversharpened/oversaturated pictures here ( :D )
    And thanks for replying Ceejay Donkey Kong :beer:

10. Scorpio82Co

Scorpio82Co Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX1070 G1 8GB
    well i´m using the enb series config..one that was made with matso color pallete and i mix it with the sweet fx; im tryin to improve the sweet fx config..better than the pictures that i posted.. later i´m gonna upload the images

11. sexus

sexus Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GF GTX 680 sli

nice , finally some work being done for dmc4, cant wait , lookin good

anybody doing work on re5 dx10/dx9 both please, marcel how bout you , heard you was workin on it :)

12. Triadx

Triadx New Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForceGTX 660 2GB
    Hi there,

I've been using SweetFX as of yesterday after seeing a profile on the XCom section in Nexus Mods with a preset and was very impressed. Put a little research, downloaded the SweetFX Configurator and got it working (after switching my Anti Alias from NVidia to Application Controlled from x4).

Was hopping from Kings Bounty/Sleeping Dogs/XCom but all of a sudden, today I'm getting "has stopped working" messages.

[​IMG]

Sleeping Dogs is still working perfectly fine...but Kings Bounty also doesn't work now.

What can I do to resolve this issue? Really love this SweetFX injector...really adds extra life to games I never thought imaginable!

Edit:-
    Just noticed log.log...but doesn't really clarify it for myself :( (Note, I'm the only user on this PC and admin)

13. CeeJay.dk

CeeJay.dk Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 6870
    I'll have to work on a good larger radius blur at one point since it's a prerequisite step to making a better bloom and HDR shader (I'm not satisfied with the current ones)
    A glow shader is very similar to a bloom shader so I'll probably take a look at that when I research a better bloom.

14. CeeJay.dk

CeeJay.dk Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 6870
    Happy New Years everyone! :hatty:

15. mypc

mypc Guest

Happy new years Sweetfx lovers

16. ninjafada

ninjafada Master Guru

GPU:
    pny 670
    Happy new year !

Triadx
    unpack sweetfx in Steam\steamapps\common\XCom-Enemy-Unknown\Binaries\Win32\
    if you are using the 2.0 alpha use the dll from theSweetFX\dlls\SMAA dlls\ folder because the fxaa doesn't works in dx11

dmc4 wip config sweetfx 2.0a with smaa dlls:
    Code:
       /*-----------------------------------------------------------.
      /                      Choose effects                         /
      '-----------------------------------------------------------*/

// Set to 1 for ON or 0 for OFF
    #define USE_SMAA_ANTIALIASING 1 //[0 or 1] SMAA Anti-aliasing : Smoothens jagged lines using the SMAA technique.
    #define USE_FXAA_ANTIALIASING 0 //[0 or 1] FXAA Anti-aliasing : Smoothens jagged lines using the FXAA technique. WIP - Currently only works in DX9 and you need to use the FXAA injector dlls.
    #define USE_LUMASHARPEN   1 //[0 or 1] LumaSharpen : Also sharpens the antialiased edges which makes them less smooth - I'm working on fixing that.
    #define USE_BLOOM         1 //[0 or 1] Bloom : Makes bright lights bleed their light into their surroundings (relatively high performance cost)
    #define USE_HDR           1 //[0 or 1] HDR : Not actual HDR - It just tries to mimic an HDR look (relatively high performance cost)
    #define USE_TECHNICOLOR   0 //[0 or 1] TECHNICOLOR : Attempts to mimic the look of an old movie using the Technicolor three-strip color process (Techicolor Process 4)
    #define USE_DPX           1 //[0 or 1] Cineon DPX : Should make the image look like it's been converted to DXP Cineon - basically it's another movie-like look similar to technicolor.
    #define USE_LIFTGAMMAGAIN 1 //[0 or 1] Lift Gamma Gain : Adjust brightness and color of shadows, midtones and highlights (avoids clipping)
    #define USE_TONEMAP       0 //[0 or 1] Tonemap : Adjust gamma, exposure, saturation, bleach and defog. (may cause clipping)
    #define USE_VIBRANCE      1 //[0 or 1] Vibrance : Intelligently saturates (or desaturates if you use negative values) the pixels depending on their original saturation.
    #define USE_CURVES        0 //[0 or 1] Curves : Contrast adjustments using S-curves.
    #define USE_CARTOON       0 //[0 or 1] Cartoon : "Toon"s the image
    #define USE_SEPIA         0 //[0 or 1] Sepia : Sepia tones the image.
    #define USE_VIGNETTE      0 //[0 or 1] Vignette : Darkens the edges of the image to make it look more like it was shot with a camera lens. May cause banding artifacts.
    #define USE_DITHER        1 //[0 or 1] Dither : Applies dithering to simulate more colors than your monitor can display. This lessens banding artifacts (mostly caused by Vignette)
    #define USE_BORDER        0 //[0 or 1] Border : Makes the screenedge black as a workaround for the bright edge that forcing some AA modes sometimes causes.
    #define USE_SPLITSCREEN   0 //[0 or 1] Splitscreen : Enables the before-and-after splitscreen comparison mode.

/                  SMAA Anti-aliasing settings                /

#define SMAA_THRESHOLD 0.05           //[0.05 to 0.20] Edge detection threshold
    #define SMAA_MAX_SEARCH_STEPS 64      //[0 to 98] Determines the radius SMAA will search for aliased edges
    #define SMAA_MAX_SEARCH_STEPS_DIAG 16  //[0 to 16] Determines the radius SMAA will search for diagonal aliased edges
    #define SMAA_CORNER_ROUNDING 0        //[0 to 100] Determines the percent of antialiasing to apply to corners.

// -- Advanced SMAA settings --
    #define COLOR_EDGE_DETECTION 1        //[0 or 1] 1 Enables color edge detection (slower but more acurate) - 0 uses luma edge detection (faster)
    #define SMAA_DIRECTX9_LINEAR_BLEND 0  //[0 or 1] Using DX9 HARDWARE? (software version doesn't matter) if so this needs to be 1 - If not, leave it at 0.

/                  FXAA Anti-aliasing settings                /
    #define FXAA_QUALITY__PRESET 9       //[1 to 9] Choose the quality preset
    #define fxaa_Subpix 0.400            //[0.000 to 1.000] Choose the amount of sub-pixel aliasing removal
    #define fxaa_EdgeThreshold 0.250     //[0.000 to 1.000] The minimum amount of local contrast required to apply algorithm
    #define fxaa_EdgeThresholdMin 0.060  //[0.000 to 1.000] Trims the algorithm from processing darks

/                       LumaSharpen settings                  /
    // -- Sharpening --
    #define sharp_strength 0.80   //[0.10 to 3.00] Strength of the sharpening
    #define sharp_clamp    0.041  //[0.000 to 1.000] Limits maximum amount of sharpening a pixel recieves - Default is 0.035

// -- Advanced sharpening settings --
    #define pattern 2        //[1|2|3|4] Choose a sample pattern. 1 = Fast, 2 = Normal, 3 = Wider, 4 = Pyramid shaped.
    #define offset_bias 1.0  //[0.0 to 6.0] Offset bias adjusts the radius of the sampling pattern.
                             //I designed the pattern for offset_bias 1.0, but feel free to experiment.

// -- Debug sharpening settings --
    #define show_sharpen 0   //[0 or 1] Visualize the strength of the sharpen (multiplied by 4 to see it better)

/                       Bloom settings                        /
    #define BloomThreshold 20.25 //[0.00 to 50.00] Threshold for what is a bright light (that causes bloom) and what isn't.
    #define BloomPower 1.346     //[0.000 to 8.000] Strength of the bloom
    #define BloomWidth 0.0242    //[0.0000 to 1.0000] Width of the bloom

/                        HDR settings                         /
    #define HDRPower 1.08  //[0.00 to 8.00] Strangely lowering this makes the image brighter
    #define radius2  0.77  //[0.00 to 8.00] Raising this seems to make the effect stronger and also brighter

/                      TECHNICOLOR settings                   /
    #define TechniAmount 0.4         //[0.0 to 1.0]
    #define TechniPower  4.0         //[0.0 to 8.0]
    #define redNegativeAmount   0.88 //[0.0 to 1.0]
    #define greenNegativeAmount 0.88 //[0.0 to 1.0]
    #define blueNegativeAmount  0.88 //[0.0 to 1.0]

/                      Cineon DPX settings                    /
    #define Red   15.0  //[1.0 to 15.0]
    #define Green 15.0  //[1.0 to 15.0]
    #define Blue  15.0  //[1.0 to 15.0]

#define ColorGamma    2.5  //[0.1 to 2.5] Adjusts the colorfulness of the effect in a manner similar to Vibrance. 1.0 is neutral.
    #define DPXSaturation 1.15  //[0.0 to 8.0] Adjust saturation of the effect. 1.0 is neutral.

#define RedC   0.36  //[0.60 to 0.20]
    #define GreenC 0.36  //[0.60 to 0.20]
    #define BlueC  0.34  //[0.60 to 0.20]

#define Blend 0.11    //[0.00 to 1.00] How strong the effect should be.

/                      Lift Gamma Gain settings               /
    #define RGB_Lift  float3(0.980, 0.980, 0.980)  //[0.000 to 2.000] Adjust shadows for Red, Green and Blue
    #define RGB_Gamma float3(0.990, 0.990, 0.990)  //[0.000 to 2.000] Adjust midtones for Red, Green and Blue
    #define RGB_Gain  float3(1.060, 1.060, 1.060)  //[0.000 to 2.000] Adjust highlights for Red, Green and Blue

/                        Tonemap settings                     /
    #define Gamma 1.00        //[0.000 to 2.000] Adjust midtones

#define Exposure 0.00    //[-1.000 to 1.000] Adjust exposure

#define Saturation -0.20  //[-1.000 to 1.000] Adjust saturation

#define Bleach 0.00      //[0.000 to 1.000] Brightens the shadows and fades the colors

#define Defog 0.000  //[0.000 to 1.000] How much of the color tint to remove
    #define FogColor float3(0.00, 0.00, 2.55) //[0.00 to 2.55, 0.00 to 2.55, 0.00 to 2.55] What color to remove - default is blue

/                       Vibrance settings                     /
    #define Vibrance 0.37 //[-1.00 to 1.00] Intelligently saturates (or desaturates if you use negative values) the pixels depending on their original saturation.

/                        Curves settings                      /
    #define Curves_contrast 0.20  //[-1.00 to 1.00] The amount of contrast you want

// -- Advanced curve settings --
    #define Curves_formula 2      //[1|2|3|4|5|6|7] The constrast s-curve you want to use. I prefer 2 myself.

/                       Cartoon settings                      /
    // nothing

/                         Sepia settings                      /
    #define ColorTone float3(1.40, 1.10, 0.90) //[0.00 to 1.00, 0.00 to 1.00, 0.00 to 1.00] What color to tint the image
    #define GreyPower  0.11                    //[0.0 to 1.0] How much desaturate the image before tinting it
    #define SepiaPower 0.58                    //[0.0 to 1.0] How much to tint the image

/                       Vignette settings                     /
    #define VignetteRadius 1.00   //[-1.00 to 3.00] lower values = stronger radial effect from center
    #define VignetteAmount -1.00  //[-2.00 to 1.00] Strength of black. -2.00 = Max Black, 1.00 = Max White.
    #define VignetteSlope 8       //[1 to 16] How far away from the center the change should start to really grow strong (odd numbers cause a larger fps drop than even numbers)
    #define VignetteCenter float2(0.500, 0.500)  //[0.00 to 1.00, 0.00 to 1.00] Center of effect.

/                        Dither settings                      /
    //No settings yet, beyond switching it on or off in the top section.

//Note that the checkerboard pattern used by Dither, makes an image harder to compress.
    //This can make your screenshots and video recordings take up more space.

/                        Border settings                      /
    //No settings yet, beyond switching it on or off in the top section.

/                     Splitscreen settings                    /
    #define splitscreen_mode 1  //[1|2|3|4|5]  1 = Vertical 50/50 split, 2 = Vertical 25/50/25 split, 3 = Vertical 50/50 angled split, 4 = Horizontal 50/50 split, 5 = Horizontal 25/50/25 split

more on / off screenshots
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

please when you quote remove img links

17. evohan

evohan Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus DCU2 GTX670 4GB SLI
    ıcant make any sweetfx or sharpen effect for Dragon Age Origins , why
    ? pls help

18. Marcel

Marcel Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming
    Happy New Year :)

I finished today my day settings for Skyrim ENB+SweetFX... some shots.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2560x1440@1920x1080

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. raj7095

raj7095 Member

GPU:
    Reference R9 290 4gb
    Hey CJ, about the blur filter, i found this really neat blur shader:
    Code:
    uniform samplerRECT samp0 : register(s0);

void main(out float4 ocol0 : COLOR0, in float2 uv0 : TEXCOORD0)
    {
      float4 c_center = texRECT(samp0, uv0.xy).rgba;
      float4 bloom_sum = float4(0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0);
      uv0 += float2(0.3, 0.3);
      float radius1 = 3.8;

bloom_sum += texRECT(samp0, uv0 + float2(-1.5, -1.5) * radius1);
      bloom_sum += texRECT(samp0, uv0 + float2(-2.5, 0)  * radius1);
      bloom_sum += texRECT(samp0, uv0 + float2(-1.5, 1.5) * radius1);
      bloom_sum += texRECT(samp0, uv0 + float2(0, 2.5) * radius1);
      bloom_sum += texRECT(samp0, uv0 + float2(1.5, 1.5) * radius1);
      bloom_sum += texRECT(samp0, uv0 + float2(2.5, 0) * radius1);
      bloom_sum += texRECT(samp0, uv0 + float2(1.5, -1.5) * radius1);
      bloom_sum += texRECT(samp0, uv0 + float2(0, -2.5) * radius1);

bloom_sum *= 0.03;

ocol0 = (c_center * 0.75 + bloom_sum);
    }

i've tested it out in dolphin emulator, as it uses cg shaders, and there doesn't seem to be a noticeable performance impact and overall it gives a really nice look.

20. raj7095

raj7095 Member

GPU:
    Reference R9 290 4gb
    did u try turning in-game aa off?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.