SweetFX Shader Suite release and discussion thread #4

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by CeeJay.dk, Sep 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vejn

vejn Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 7870 TF3
    NO, MSI is only free.
    Mirilis is trail but I alredy have MSI Aft.

2. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC GX980Ti Amp!Extreme
    Care to share config for this? :)

And amazing work CeeJay.dk :thumbup:

3. CeeJay.dk

CeeJay.dk Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 6870
    Without the option to load custom textures with the injector that is not that easy because you have to describe each letter mathematically.

Very tricky.

With the option to load custom texture (which Crosire is working on for eFX) it's a matter of first making a watermark texture, then in the shader looking up in that texture the color of the pixel at the current position and then lerp'ing between the original color and the new one, by the alpha component of the watermark texture.

Pretty simple.

I'm sorry but there is no built in text drawing features in hlsl, like so you can't just do cout << "Hello World!"

4. vejn

vejn Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 7870 TF3

5. K-putt

K-putt Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 780Ti
    Sure, here it is.

I upload almost all my presets on this site.

6. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC GX980Ti Amp!Extreme
    Ok thanks & bookmarked :)

7. RavenGT

RavenGT Member

GPU:
    FX5600 256mb
    Thanks for your reply.

So I take it that displaying an external png is much easier than displaying raw text, I'd like the png method too. However I have to ask if this alpha png overlay is impacted by Windows' Desktop Composition setting. You see, I already have a program that does this, but it takes a huge framerate hit when I use it with Windows Classic theme (Aero + Desktop Composition off). My FPS was originally 140 and enabling the png overlay will drop it to 80 instantly. For anyone curious reading this, Desktop Composition offloads fancy Windows effects to the GPU instead of CPU.

I also have a second concern I'd like to mention.

Before 1.5.1, I was using Boulotaur's version and his has a fantastic film grain shader. This is nowhere to be found in your core SweetFX and I'd like to see it get ported without relying on custom.h. My only complaint with his version is that SMAA is at the end of the shader chain so SMAA is constantly being applied to the film grain at every frame, and it looks smudgy and flickering especially on text.

Edit: Boulotaur's film grain uses an external png but there is no framerate hit... I think. Something to consider.

8. apoklyps3

apoklyps3 Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX970-DC2OC-4GD5-BLACK
    eFX will be the only option for us, windows 8.1 users (without radeonpro tricks), but the injector is still WIP. Correct?

9. Marcel

Marcel Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming
    and working also FXAA? For me do not work in SweetFX 1.4/1.5 but with old Boulotaurs version works.

10. Quest

Quest Member Guru

GPU:
    SLI GTX 770 JETSTREAM 4GB
    Can anyone make some desent settings for Assasin's Creed 3 with 1.5.1 version pls.

11. K-putt

K-putt Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 780Ti
    Yep works.

12. CeeJay.dk

CeeJay.dk Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 6870
    Using the alpha channel in SweetFX does in no way affect the way Windows renders.

The film grain shader (by Jorge Jimenez) in Boulotaurs version like all the shaders have a performance hit. It's not that big though.

It's not found in the core version of SweetFX because that injector does not have a time counter - without one you can't animate effects and the film grain would be static.

I don't want to make a film grain shader until I can make it animate.

13. K-putt

K-putt Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 780Ti
    Would it actually be possible to make real filmgrain with the new injector?
    I mean random grain formation. Or what ever it's called. Also dark areas aren't affected by the the grain.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
  14. CeeJay.dk

CeeJay.dk Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 6870
    Yes.

Why shouldn't dark areas be affected by the grain? In reality the darker a scene is the more grain or noise it receives.

You can see this at night when you have gone to bed and everything is really dark. You will see noise in the darkness, but the lighter the room is the less noise you will see.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
  15. K-putt

K-putt Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 780Ti
    I forgot to mention that i mean boulotaurs grain method. Sorry for that :D
    With that method there is no grain in dark areas.
    But that's probably because it's just an image that "runs" across the screen really fast.
    And the white dots are to transparent to be seen in dark areas.

16. RavenGT

RavenGT Member

GPU:
    FX5600 256mb
    I don't know if it's on the to do list, but I'd love to see a png overlay shader. I'd imagine it has positioning options like a flag for origin (1-center, 2-top, 3- top left, etc.) and another flag for X/Y offset from the origin by pixels or %.

17. Sajittarius

Sajittarius Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX980Ti
    i couldnt get either 1.5,1.51 regular, or K-putts modified Boulotaur to work in Fin al Fantasy 14. Tried last night and kept getting errors, unfortunately im at work so i cant post the errors from the log. I might try again tonight and post what i see.

I do remember K-putts version throwing an error with the ChromaticAberration because it didnt like the path in main.h. I changed the path and then it started throwing an error about a bad float (on the line with outofFocus?)

18. Zomgerd

Zomgerd Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus R9 280X DC2T
    I don't think that's what he meant when he said Crosire was working on the injector part, not that I think it matters as the two projects strive for basically the same thing. :p

19. Wanny

Wanny Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980 Ti GAMING 6G
    Good I'm not alone then!

20. Sajittarius

Sajittarius Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX980Ti
    Yea, i really wanted to try the chromatic aberration, lol :/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.