SweetFX Shader Suite release and discussion thread #4

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by CeeJay.dk, Sep 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BenYeeHua

BenYeeHua Guest

GPU:
    Asus 650M D3
    Thank for the information, yes I know FXAA is make by people that works on Nvidia, and I also following the blog that make by Timothy Lottes, it is useful.

But, what's the difficulty for implement SMAA into the driver?

Just want to learn more.:)

2. CeeJay.dk

CeeJay.dk Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 6870
    I don't think there is any extra real difficulty. It should be no harder than implementing SMAA into eFX which I just did.

Sure it's more work than implementing FXAA, because SMAA has more passes, buffers, textures, rendertargets, stencils, samplers and shaders to keep track of, but if you are a graphics vendor and make drivers this should all be easy stuff for you.

I think it's simply a case of "not invented here"

Last edited: Oct 31, 2013
  3. JPulowski

JPulowski Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 690
    There you go:

4. BenYeeHua

BenYeeHua Guest

GPU:
    Asus 650M D3
    Thank for the information, and ya, AMD and Nvidia has many issues like this, and finally the loser is the user...
    Because many online game that I am playing will detect SweetFX as a hack, so most of the time I can't using SMAA+SweetFX while playing.

I think the thing that has been best supported, but not make by them is DirectX. :D

5. redm

redm Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD 7870 OC
    Thank you JPulowski. Works like a charm with Radeonpro :)

Last edited: Oct 31, 2013
  6. BenYeeHua

BenYeeHua Guest

GPU:
    Asus 650M D3
    I think the FAQ should be more highlight on the first post, it look like many people missing it, as it is posted after the long changelog.

7. adi518

adi518 Guest

GPU:
    2x Evga 970 SC
    CJ, is there a way to completely turn Off SMAA without disabling the SMAA dll? (ie, removing the check from the SMAA box in the config app).

I'm playing FSX and FSX has special AA settings applied via Inspector. I noticed that when applying SFX it will override my NI SGSS settings and slightly jag up things. I tried turning all values to '0' on the SMAA properties and yet, it's still jagging up a bit. I'm also using FSX with DX10 and it seems that DX10 mode in FSX cannot work correctly without SMAA turned On (hence my reference to the dll). Therefore, I'm kinda stuck in the between.

Any advice or possible fix? :)

SFX is the best thing since sliced bread... :)

Last edited: Nov 1, 2013
  8. BenYeeHua

BenYeeHua Guest

GPU:
    Asus 650M D3
    I guess it will be support with eFX, but not with the one that SweetFX is using.

9. adi518

adi518 Guest

GPU:
    2x Evga 970 SC
    What is eFX? New version of SFX? I know there was/is version 2.0 in progress.

10. CeeJay.dk

CeeJay.dk Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 6870
    What version of SweetFX are you using ?

11. adi518

adi518 Guest

GPU:
    2x Evga 970 SC
    Hmm.. basically I'm having this problem in 1.4 and I think 1.5 as well. I'm now trying out 1.5.1, but prolly achieve the same result.

Without SMAA at all, the scene becomes very dark. FSX reacts differently to SFX between DX9 & DX10 so I first thought it's probably one of the other effects needing adjusting, but I disabled them all and it isolated disabling SMAA as the culprit. If I could only keep SMAA dll, but without applying AA at all, that'd solve the problem I guess.

[​IMG]

12. OrdinaryOregano

OrdinaryOregano Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Gaming X
    I have been wondering something...

Why do we need so many config files? injector.ini, SweetFX_preset.txt, the settings file(SweetFX_settings.txt), SweetFX_compatibility_settings.txt

Would it not be simpler to have them all in 1? I know Boulo's injector had the keys in the same but that's about it.

13. Quest

Quest Member Guru

GPU:
    SLI GTX 770 JETSTREAM 4GB
    Anyone know programs like fraps which can work together with sfx 1.5.1?

14. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    MSI afterburner

15. CeeJay.dk

CeeJay.dk Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 6870
    Putting all the setting in one file mixes artistic settings which determines the look and that people probably want to share with others, with technical settings that are specific to one computer/user and that shouldn't go into a preset to be shared with other.
    Boulotaurs injector mixes them .. and in hindsight I don't think it was a good idea to do so. When people install a preset meant for Boulotaurs injector they also get their key mappings and other injector settings, which they probably didn't want.

Also the injector wants its ini and I cannot change that and even if I could - again I wouldn't because it's best to keep that separate.

Another reason is that I don't want to overwhelm users with too many settings - which I think I already do. I don't want to make that worse.

So I put the compatibility settings in another file - another reason why I did that is that I didn't want the beginners to mess with that since it's rarely needed and I don't want to receive complaints about error that occurred because people messed with something they didn't fully understand.

The SweetFX_preset.txt is in it own file because it determines what other settings to load. I couldn't put that in the same file as the settings because the settings in that file would override the other settings you wanted to load.
    .. Well I could - but not with out adding logic code to the settings file to avoid that problem. And mixing code with settings would be confusing.
    Technically the settings file is code, but it's presented in a very simple and non-scary way that looks just like a ini that many people would be familiar with.

I have been considering to take out the debugging options and shaders and put them in an advanced settings file (which would be combined with the compability settings) - in an attempt to make the settings look less overwhelming.

With eFX it's possible to tell it to load more than one file, which means that I could make the eFX.ini determine what settings to load instead of using a SweetFX_preset.txt file for that. If you feel this is simpler let me know.

16. BenYeeHua

BenYeeHua Guest

GPU:
    Asus 650M D3
    Yup, 2 difference setting file, 1 for advanced setting(Key Bindings and debug setting etc) and 1 for SweetFX is best I think.

17. OrdinaryOregano

OrdinaryOregano Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Gaming X
    I get it but perhaps I was too poorly wording it, maybe not 1 file for all but rather combining very small parts into 1.

Like for example injector.ini and preset file(and maybe compatibility file) have very few lines so they could be put in 1. Obviously I'm saying it from a layman's perspective but still trying to be more clearer about what I meant.

Putting all of them in 1 would be a bad idea but what about combining the smaller ones and leaving the main settings file?

On another note - The advanced settings file idea sounds... sweet, pun intended.

18. ninjafada

ninjafada Guest

GPU:
    pny 670
    i prefer having SweetFX_preset.txt because i can use my switchfx script to change preset on the fly
    having it include in the ini = new script ; too lazy or busy XD

19. K-putt

K-putt Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti
    Two files would be fine really. One preset file for SweetFX. And one file for the injector (keys, paths, proxy .dll etc.)
    Also, are you planing to port ,or even modify ,Boulotaur's Gauss shader?
    That shader and the option for proxy dll's is the only thing that keeps me away from switching to eFX.

Hey man, why won't you answer my PM? :)

20. Crosire

Crosire Member Guru

GPU:
    -
    Guess what, that's already implemented in the latest public version :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.