SweetFX Shader Suite release and discussion thread #3

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by CeeJay.dk, Mar 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elajitz

Elajitz Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI Ventus

Last edited: Apr 29, 2013
  2. r3dfield

r3dfield Active Member

GPU:
    GTX980 OC@1541Mhz/4001Mhz
  3. Preacher0815

Preacher0815 Member

Is there a tutorial or something for laymen like me on how to change contrast, brightness and colors to make games look more real? In most example screenshots for various presets I see black crush, desaturation and the colors appear just off.

Like the Natural Lightning 1.1 screenshot by r3dfield. Even on a slightly cloudy day the shadows outside are way lighter and the colors more vibrant than what is shown on the screenshot. I'm in no way trying to offend you or attempt to degrade your efforts. It's just a handy example out of many others I could have picked to explain my cause.

4. Eddy__

Eddy__ Member

GPU:
    ASUS GTX275
    WOT
    nosfx
    [​IMG]
    sfx
    [​IMG]

5. conan2k

conan2k Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 780GTX
    I'll post screenshots from Dead Space that show the difference between old/new injectors later today (along with their "untouched " originals).

BTW, I've just tried to inject SMAA/FXAA via the new injector without any luck. SMAA doesn't apply (actually it seems to smooth only a pixel or two of each jaggy edge so that the overall impact is unnoticeable) and FXAA crashes the game (Dead Space). The old injector works just fine. I'm experiencing this with both "KB" and "KB-less" version of new injector on my older rig with Win XP SP3 (could Win XP be the root cause of the problem?).

6. jim2point0

jim2point0 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix 2080TI
    I figured out a trick to make the screenshot capture every time. I know Racer_S' mod works in version 3, but they put SSAA in version 4. The game crashes when you press the NO HUD button in that version every time :(

7. r3dfield

r3dfield Active Member

GPU:
    Follow my settings database link and read my description. It's no problem to get less vibrance or pitch black shadows...same like strong lights. If you wanna do some nice screenshots...easy. The problem is, that those settings are not very suitable for actual gameplay and the coloring and lighting on every map is completely different...especially within the different DLCs. You have to find a compromise that works with all maps. My natural 1.1 has been made on newer maps...like End Game and Aftermath DLCs. If you do some pitch black shadows on one map, which may look good on this map...then you get pitch black corridors in others...not that good for spotting enemies. Too bright lights and contrasts are too exhausting for the eyes, if you play hours and in dark rooms.

So read my description and just follow point 2. under "tweak it yourself". You can raise the tv levels (blacks and whites) and lower the bloom threshold. Then u get results like you can see on my first screenshots...it has been like that (deeper black, brighter lights and stuff)...but I changed it for actual gameplay. Makes no sense to create settings just for nice screenshots. I explained why and what I did in my description.

Beside that my screenshots are unedited, just shrinked. If it really looks exactly the same on every system depends on your game and sytem settings. My screen is calibrated by current HD and color standards, my nvidia settings are on standard, game on ultra settings and 4xMSAA. The screens slightly darken through shrinking, cuz some details get lost.

8. Zomgerd

Zomgerd Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus R9 280X DC2T
    I think you might think this is some kind of miracle tool, which it isn't. Getting realistic colors is a pain even with FXAA Injector besides you have to take into a account the games artstlye. BF3 for example has fairly "real" art style but after getting rid of the blue tint there isn't much room for making realistic coloring as most of the blue is taken away. Not to mention that just getting rid of the tint doesn't do away with the excessive blue, you can still see the blue tint cast of light in many screenshots of settings.

r3dfields settings are the closest to natural I've seen even if the color looks a little odd. Not that BF3 settings are exactly ideal as you would need different settings for almost every map.

Your cause is valid however it's not something I'd spend hours on trying to make a game look "realistic" which is a subjective term as not everyone views it the same.

9. Preacher0815

Preacher0815 Member

I'm aware that there's no easy solution, as even experts have difficulties with photo editing, however I find it odd that on one hand the hardware is becoming more and more powerful and developers claim their games look more and more realistic, when on the other hand textures in games still look largely like comics and developers simply up the poly count and add more effects. I've been waiting for that realism that is being advertised for a couple of years now, but it isn't coming.

So now I've decided to see whether I can't do a better job myself, even if it is only an approximation because of the differing "coloring styles" of places, as r3dfield pointed out. Guess I've got a steep learning curve ahead of me.

10. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    maybe you need to split the files.. Sweetfx and sweetfx settings in main dir that dx9.dll in game exe dir.

Do you use OSD monitor at the same time?

Yours is still to blue, his looks more suitable but I agree it needs just a little more blue/green ~5%+

11. r3dfield

r3dfield Active Member

GPU:
    Mine is colder, ya...but if you look at nature pictures and stuff...then cold blue sky tints the landscape a bit colder. Cold blue morning skies etc. have no red tones in it. It's not still the vanilla blue, it's different...only skylight. I have another, warmer version :)

12. Xceptiona1

Xceptiona1 New Member

GPU:
    nvidia 640 2win
    I have sweetfx working on two games, Defiance and World of Warcraft. The other day I installed Nvidia experience which sets your game config to their recommended settings for a particular game. I also am running lucid logix virtu software. WoW used to work just fine, however this week it does not seem to be turning on anymore. I have tried a couple different profile and nothing I've tried is working.

My thought is perhaps the nvidia software messed it up somehow because that is new to the system, but going into the game and resetting the graphics didn't seem to fix it?

What in game settings do I need to check to make this work again. My understanding is DX9 and 32bit client should be used. Anything else?

Thank you for any assistance

13. r3dfield

r3dfield Active Member

GPU:
    Now with a tiny bit more red tone. Just a few percent...cuz cold skies don't tint the world too warm ;) Actually it depends on the map and their sky...some have warmer skies...some colder...have to find a compromise.

version 1.1a
    http://sfx.thelazy.net/games/preset/372/

Last edited: Apr 30, 2013
  14. Elajitz

Elajitz Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI Ventus
    hey!
    How far can i go whit Downsampling whit my Mobility Radeon 5800 Series My stock Resolution is (1920×1080) 16.9
    and how far can i go ? 2048×1152, 2560×1440, 2880x1620, 3840×2160 and 4096×2304
    I am not so sure of my monitor because i use My built in display at my Laptop

New Lgg less red!
    http://sfx.thelazy.net/games/preset/382/

15. r3dfield

r3dfield Active Member

GPU:
    You have to try it yourself, depends on your display and stuff. I go with 2880*1620, which is 150% of my native resolution of 1920*1080. 200% is too much for my screen. Too high DS results a major performance drop, esp. with injector.

16. ninjafada

ninjafada Master Guru

GPU:
    pny 670

remove lucid logix virtu software

17. jim2point0

jim2point0 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix 2080TI
    Got Boulotaur's injector working in NFS: Most Wanted. I loves it. Dat screenshot naming! Still has problems capturing screenshots though. I have to wrestle out each one. Tweaks are pretty minor as for now. Here are some samples.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. CeeJay.dk

CeeJay.dk Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 6870
    I've been away on holiday (I visited Spain) and just got back.
    I didn't have a computer capable of running SweetFX while I was away, but using only the compiler to test my code I made some performance improvements (hopefully) that I'll be testing this week now that I again have to opportunity to do so.

I also need to catch up on what happened in the thread while I was away so if anyone asked questions and still need answers please be patient.

19. CeeJay.dk

CeeJay.dk Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 6870
    An idea for screenshot naming:
    Include the name of the application that called the injector so the screenshot name will include the name of the game.

I've seen problems with getting the NFS games to register keypresses as well.
    My workaround so far is to redefine the keys in injector.ini - I use / * and - on the numeric keypad for the new NFS:Most Wanted and Hot Pursuit games.
    I was considering making them the new default until I found that on other computers they don't work well - so it's different from PC to PC.

20. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    nice shots jim2point0 :thumbup:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.