Surveillance Setup at Home using PC! Best Solution?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Drunkenmasta, Aug 13, 2009.

1. Drunkenmasta

Drunkenmasta Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB GTX 260 OC + Acer 26"
    Hi all,

Well it's been a long time coming but we need to step up the security for our home which means installing some kind of surveillance.

How and what is the best way to implement this? We want good quality cameras setup and wireless ones would be the best for our setup. Cabling could be quite expensive but if it's required for a much clearer image (worth the money) then I'll consider it.

It will be hooked up to my PC which will be on 24/7.

Any ideas are much appreciated.

2. ross

ross Master Guru

GPU:
    Diamond R9 290X 4GB
    Drukenmaster,

I highly recommend a Q-See kit or a Q-See PCI DVR card (along with 4 cameras). Here is a link to a card I have used before - http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1080978&Sku=Q300-2108

I set up a surveillance in a local convenient store and had 4 cameras hooked up to a PC with that card. The minimum requirements are are on TigerDirect's page, and I highly recommend having an AGP or PCI-Express video card.

That particular Q-See card allows you to watch Live Surveillance via Internet Explorer & even through a standalone program. (You need to open the appropriate ports for your router if you are under a router / firewall).

3. Drunkenmasta

GPU:
    GB GTX 260 OC + Acer 26"
    Thanks for the tip ross, I'll check it out.

Do you know if they do a wireless version at all? If not that's still ok but wireless would be much easier for us.

EDIT: The IP cameras look great actually! I can't find any nearby that do wireless N, only G!

Last edited: Aug 13, 2009
  4. ross

ross Master Guru

GPU:
    Diamond R9 290X 4GB
    Drunkenmasta,

Check out this kit available from Q-see - http://www.q-see.com/products/security-product.php?ProductId=2

My buddy just setup a system using this particular kit, and had plenty headroom with the 60ft cable. 60 ft of cable is included for each camera, which should probably be plenty for your needs. You can even extend that 60 ft if necessary. The live remote surveillance is excellent.

Good luck bro.

5. Drunkenmasta

GPU:
    GB GTX 260 OC + Acer 26"
    Thanks for the info ross that setup does look good for sure but we have decided to go with the IP Cameras. I'm not sure if we get Q-See in Australia too :(.

I've been looking into the Edimax IC7000 or something similar to it but the last review I read about it wasn't fantastic. I'll keep looking though.

Take care.