Surround sound newb. Picked up a system and have questions.

Discussion in 'The HTPC, HDTV & Ultra High Definition section' started by blackbeauty89, Oct 6, 2013.

Tags:
  1. blackbeauty89

blackbeauty89 New Member

GPU:
    Hey guys. Just picked up a surround sound system for 44 bucks from an auction.

Came with tuner, CD player, receiver/amp, 5 speakers and 1 woofer. Unfortunately they are a mismatched set. The CD player and tuner are both Technics I believe, and they are circa 1990's. However I'm not interested in those anyway being that I mainly want the system to play music through my iPod.

The amp is a Sony TA-E741. And the speakers/woofer are Zenith LHS-25SLW. And basically what I'm looking to do is hook those up in my basement, have a speaker to every room, and have iPod connectivity.

First and main issue is wiring the speakers. Seems that the amp takes an actual connector to hook up speakers? The speakers just take normal speaker wire.

Also, is there truly a way I can get a iPod connection through this? Or am I just dreaming? I have an iHome that maybe I could get to connect to the amp as well? Idk. I'm hoping you guys could be able to help me out! I'd appreciate it

2. drbaltazar

drbaltazar Banned

GPU:
    amd 7950 3gb
    You all need wire aside from that ? Should be a breeze to plug !

3. drbaltazar

drbaltazar Banned

GPU:
    amd 7950 3gb
    Your iPod will send signal via a base I assume ?

4. blackbeauty89

blackbeauty89 New Member

GPU:
    Well on the back of the reciever there is no place for bare wire to plug in to. There's a right and a left and whatnot, but it's almost an a/v style port looks like

5. blackbeauty89

blackbeauty89 New Member

GPU:
    Ended up having to buy an RCA phono wire to plug in the speakers. So I plugged that end into the reciever and then just obviously using the other end of the wire and plugging that in to the back of the speaker. However I'm not getting any sound. Pretty sure there's sound going to the reciever because the little equilizer bars are moving up and down with the supposed sound, but not even static comes out the speaker.

I only have 1 hooked up at the moment just to test things out. I've tried swapping the connection, unplugging, switching through all the modes, adjusting the balance and fade, pushed just about every button.

Could I have done something wrong??