Surround sound in OpenAL not working

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by Z Overlord, May 8, 2009.

1. Z Overlord

Z Overlord Member

GPU:
    HD5850
    I received my 1TB HDD. So I install Windows on it, reinstall my some of my programs, Sound Card, and OpenAL. Before I got my new HDD I had problems before until I placed this command in a Autoexec.cfg for Doom 3:

s_numberOfSpeakers "6"

That had fixed all problems on my old HDD's Window's installation of Doom 3. I fired up the game on my new HDD, and then fiddled with some in game settings. I then copy and pasted my autoexec.cfg from my old HDD unto the new one's Doom 3 directory's base folder.

All my commands but that one work. I had it work in my old HDD (exact OS, exact pc) but this one will only get 2.1.

I then tried UT3. Same problem, only 2.1

both games use openAL. Games like TF2, CSS, L4D all get 5.1 perfectly.

I have the Logitech Z-5500 for speakers and bluegears b-Enspirer for sound card. I've tried reinstalling my sound card and OpenAL.

Help :infinity:

2. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    What version of OpenAL are you using?

3. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5700 XT Thic II
    I had your same issue in the past with a Razer barracuda AC1 card, I dont know how you got it to work before in vista, But Doom3 will only work in 2.1 on that card in vista. Your only choice for doom3 and UT3 is using DTS neo to upmix 2 channel to your speakers.

HL2, CSS and L4D all use there own sound engine, tho there are games that will output in 5.1 on that card and then ones that will mosty only output to 2 channel. No matter what.

Because what your going thru now is what I went thru when I had a razer Barracuda AC1 sound card in vista.

The only thing You can do is try to set your sound card panel to 8 speakers or use DTS neo for games that output in 2 channel only.

There really isnt much other things you can do. other then trying to mod Asus Xonar drivers for your B-Enspirer to use its GX mode. Or last ditch option is to change over to a Forte/Xonar.

But I know exacty how you feel trying to get every thing right as I had that same issue before with the Razer I mention.

4. Z Overlord

Z Overlord Member

GPU:
    HD5850
    I'm using the latest OpenAL...

As for that 5.1 thing in Vista, that makes no sense as UT3 and Doom 3 had 5.1 surround sound no problem. Is there really no other solution besides a new sound card?

5. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5700 XT Thic II
    Nope other then using DTS neo to upmix the channels from 2 to 5.1. I know it doesnt make sense. But it just how it was for my self with a barracuda ac1.

you can also try to set your speakers to 8 channel in your card config setings and then see if that help with the 5.1 problem. But there not really any thing esle you can really do.

Because as I said , I was in your boots( some reason guru3d fliter dont like sh oes) like 2 or 3 years ago.

Last edited: May 8, 2009
  6. Z Overlord

Z Overlord Member

GPU:
    HD5850
    My only question is, how did I manage to get surround sound in Doom 3 and UT3?

7. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5700 XT Thic II
    You prolly had a upmix function on and didnt know it, as Doom3 as well as UT2k4 was one of the games I had to use a DTS neo to get sound thru out the Rear Z5500's speakers.

I forgot the exact reason,but I had to get rid of my Barracuda for this same reason and using DTS neo for the time being wasnt good as the actual 5.1.

Some games did fine with the settings set to 8 channel output but most games only did 2 channel output no matter what.

Then there was few others I had which did 5.1 without a issue. If you dont want another card, the best you can do for right now is DTS neo.

Unless some one mods Asus Xonar Drivers for your card and gets GX to work fully on non asus cards.

8. Z Overlord

Z Overlord Member

GPU:
    HD5850
    Thanks for your help Gen. Well maybe I should upgrade to a better card? Maybe...

What do you recommend? Price can't be above $200.

As for drivers...I have driver sweeper, but the only audio options I see are Creative and Realtek, how do you get rid of other company's drivers?

I'll probably try to use other drivers for my sound card before I consider a new sound card.

9. Z Overlord

Z Overlord Member

GPU:
    HD5850
    HOLY ****, Gen, how'd you get your Q6600 to 3.5Ghz?! Mines at 3.2Ghz (I thought that was the highest for a Q6600 to be stable lol).

10. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5700 XT Thic II
    I would say the Auzentech Forte its $169 dollars on newegg, Also using analog will give you higher quailty over Digital. Only reason why I didnt suggest my card, as the Deluxe ver has the dauther board to plug in your speakers in analog.Which I have the non Deluxe ver of. Other wise I would recommand both and then you go for what your wants and needs are.

The card is PCI-e based and works in any pcie slot. If Digital is all your gonna use then just grab a cheap Asus Xonar, as Xonar cards all of them has DSGX in there drivers which would help you alot around your current issue as it doesnt force your audio to 2 channel with GX mode enable.

Tho for the forte for games that needs DS Hal your gonna have to use alchemy for those, with Xonar it just a option that you switch off and on. Forte might be a better choice for you any way, because I get the idea that your gonna care about having actual EAX3-5 vs Emulation of eax5 on the Xonars.

Edit: Go stepping lot of voltage testing. I actually been running 3.52ghz for a while. But its a luck of a draw.

11. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    If you want, maybe try recompiling OpenAL? I had to recompile OpenAL on Linux to get all the features since the OpenAL that came with the game was broken.

You can recompile it on Windows using Visual C++ Express Edition.

deltatux

12. live4life

live4life Banned

GPU:
    Asus EnGTX295
    its easy mines is 3.8!from 2.66 stock with aircooling....

13. Z Overlord

Z Overlord Member

GPU:
    HD5850
    I use Analog Orange, Green, Black

Don't exactly know how to compile stuff :frown:

I'm a quick learner (didn't know squat about computer in December 2007, now I build them and do all sorts of stuff).

I'll look into all my solutions before I consider purchasing a new Sound Card (I think mine is too unknown, user base small, drivers are a year old, seems to barely work in Vista, etc.)

I use Analog Orange, Green, Black

14. Z Overlord

Z Overlord Member

GPU:
    HD5850
  15. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Compiling shouldn't be that hard but I guess if you know nothing about programming, then it's not advisable.

Most likely that's your HDMI audio output. Make sure that you installed all the ATi drivers.

I'd recommend to check if your onboard audio works with surround sound. Most onboard chips already have this capability.

deltatux

16. Z Overlord

Z Overlord Member

GPU:
    HD5850
  17. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    I'm sure your card has DVI out, which you can use an HDMI adapter and the DVI would also transmit audio through it.

I'm not the person to ask about soundcard quality since I haven't bought a soundcard in years as I found no reason to.

deltatux

18. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5700 XT Thic II
    Get the Auzen X-FI Forte which is 149 dollars. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829156010 Made with better components over creative X-FI and also has higher sound quailty over them too because of the LMA4562 Op-amp besides it having a headphone amp incase you use headphones which req it in the future..

It has a adaptor which plugs into the vga looking plug on the card which is called by a diffent name,which has the other 5.1/7.1 connectors. Yes on both cards, But then you paying 199 for no reason, when the Auzentech X-FI Forte is the better buy because of its price and components.

Incase your wondering it comes with full and low profile backets.

As for your openAL surround sound question Yes that card will do it, so will Asus Xonar's and def Auzentech's X-Fi's

19. gamerk2

gamerk2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 570 GTX 1.2 GB
    You need to make sure the upscaling is working properly. I also know the Sound effects in Doom3 were Mono sound files, which may be part of the problem (there was a mod for stereo files somewhere...)

20. Z Overlord

Z Overlord Member

GPU:
    HD5850
    So I'm on my old HDD's Vista right now, surround sound works in Doom 3, UT3, and STALKER (Stalker's wasn't working on my new one either). My Sound settings are the same. No DTS Neo or any other mixer or whatever. It's real surround sound, my newer installation is being a *****. There must be a way to make it work in my newer HDD...

I'm not questioning your knowledge Gen, it just that it works perfectly in my old Vista installation.