1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Surround software or new surround headphones

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by Olorin, Jan 29, 2019.

1. Olorin

Olorin Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI Armour OC GTX1060 6GB
    Hi everyone,

So I have currently have Sennheiser HD598 headphones which I enjoy using for music and for gaming.

I just downloaded Dead Space 1 again as I want to play it for a 2nd time but I wanted to know if it's possible for me to experience this game in surround sound using software?

Has anyone done this and how are the results? I don't want to fork out $$$ on a surround sound headphone.

If software exists, what is the recommended one? Your advise on this would be most appreciated.

2. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    The way I solved it to get a sound card that does it, so I can use any headphones I want. I got an Asus Xonar which does Dolby Headphone.

Windows 10 also has an app for Dolby Atmos on headphones. It costs money, but is much cheaper than a Xonar card. It has a trial period, which I used, and it sounded more muffled compared to the DH output of my sound card. The Xonar sounds wider and clearer, with sounds seemingly appearing from far away. If an in-game sound is supposed to be far away, you can feel the distance. You get the feeling of "air" around you.

With the Atmos app, things sound kind of muffled and it also sounds as if sounds are coming from different positions inside your head rather than from far away. You get a "cramped" feeling.

So for me, Xonar DH sounds very immersive. The Atmos app felt meh. In the past I tried another software solution from Razer (I think.) It was worse than the Atmos app.

If you want to try the Atmos app anyway, you can just go to the Windows 10 sound properties, and there's a "positional audio" setting there somewhere. One is for the free Windows 10 built-in headphone surround app, which is horse sh*t, and one is for Atmos, which will point you to the Windows 10 Store.

3. drandiiski

drandiiski Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 6GB OC
    Out of curiosity, what do you set in games after you have setup the app? Do you set the in game sound to headphones, or you must set it to say 5.1 or 7.1 like you did in the app?

4. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    If the game has a setting, you set it to 7.1 (or 5.1 if it doesn't support 7.1.) In other words, everything must be configured the same way as if you were using surround speakers so that the game will output surround sound. The app then takes this surround sound and converts it to binaural audio suitable for stereo headphones.

If you select headphones in games, then that means the game will either just output stereo and thus the app has no surround audio to work with, or it will use the game's built-in headphone surround implementation, if the game has one (CS:GO does, for example.) In that case, however, the Windows audio properties must be switched back to normal stereo, because the surround app would mess up the game's own headphone surround audio.

drandiiski likes this.

5. Valken

Valken Maha Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    I used old SB, Audigy, SB WOW headset with software X-FI and now X-FI MB3 (Software X-Fi) with 50 Cent Sync Wireless headset (old and needs replacing now as no longer in production). I love it... If you don't have a good surround sound processor, and cannot find a good deal on X-FI PCIE, I would ask you to look at the upcoming Super X-FI dongle and plug your headset into that.

Or get the Super X-Fi headsets... I am looking at the Super X-FI Theatre models myself since I watch movies also...

Hope Hilbert gets a pair to test.

6. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 390/GTX1070M
    @Olorin What audio solution do you have?

7. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Redacted by NDA
  8. trixijeffo

trixijeffo New Member

GPU:
    amd
    Try this headphone surround virtualization and equalizer for all headphones

– Dolby Atmos Headphone
    – CMSS-3D
    – SBX Pro Studio Surround
    – Dolby Headphone
    – Sennheiser GSX Binaural 7.1
    – and many more!

https://sourceforge.net/projects/hesuvi/

DerSchniffles and Mufflore like this.
  9. Loster

Loster Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA FTW3 2080TI
    i got the creative's sxfi amp, i think they did a great job. The soundstage is much more wide with it on, music is just awesome. In Movies it kinda adds a slight echoish effect to it what "dissappears" after one or two minutes after being used to it.
    As for games i only tried one "Tomb Raider" and i didn't like it, maybe because the game has atmos already build in and they interfere with each other. I don't know.

But i just got the amp two days ago so need to use it more.

The OT stated to own a Sennheiser HD598 which is available in the headphones section in the creative's amp app.

10. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Redacted by NDA
    This looks like it should be incredible.
    I have run it but am not able to take a serious look at setting it up properly atm.
    I'll post back with my experience later.

11. trixijeffo

trixijeffo New Member

GPU:
    amd
    I've used CMSS 3D for a long time is good but I found HeSuVi with "OpenAL soft HRTF" sounds better.

12. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 390/GTX1070M
    NECRO!!

Playing around with surround virtualization today, testing Windows Spatial and Dolby Atmos for Headphones. Had to resort to using my Realtek audio on the laptop, as my external DAC doesn't support a 5.1 setting. Too bad many of the games I play simply don't have audio preferences for selecting speaker config. :(

Gaming-wise, I tested a bunch of older titles, like Divinity II, Diablo 3, SWTOR, Dragon Age: Inquisition. If a game supports Dolby Atmos, then you're golden, since that will generate a HRTF encoded stereo stream, and you don't need any plug-in. D3 allowed for speaker config, so I was able to use my external DAC for playing with surround.

Comparing Windows Spatial to Dolby Atmos, I found the results to be similar, tho the nod going to Dolby. (I think Spatial has gotten some love, because last time I tested it it was horribad.) I set the Windows Setting to 5.1, and enabled the Surround Plug-in. Worked as to be expected.

I would have tested the DTS plug-in, however, that currently requires an Insider build of Windows 10, which I didn't care to install just to test this.

For music, Dolby Atmos was the easy winner. In fact, rendering 6ch DVDA rips produced a horrible effect with Windows Spatial. With Dolby Atmos, if you used Game Mode, I got a lot of audio clipping going on, which wasn't present using Music Mode in the Dolby app. Metallica's "Enter Sandman" from the Black DVDA was amusing to listen to, however, the rendering of the Center channel could have been a little more forward.

Later on, I will test this with an Atmos-encoded movie.

Mufflore likes this.
  13. warlord

warlord Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Null
    Dolby Access, Atmos Headphones, etc, is the best solution and worth every penny. In my XBOXONE X, movies in NETFLIX, show the ATMOS indicator, so I get the highest tier audio available in comparison with all the other solutions. Also, games wise in ATMOS like AC Origins results are outstanding. Surely it could be better, especially the virtual center channel seems not forward enough, I speak to a person and is kinda separated front center,left,right. But for one time pay under 20$, it is surely a solution, going in both PC and XBOX ecosystem, up to 10 devices. NOT BAD!