SupremeFX II Audio card

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by RandyB, Dec 15, 2007.

1. RandyB

RandyB Banned

GPU:
    HIS HD4870/Samsung2343BWX
    This comes with my board and other high-end Asus boards and I have to admit: this thing puts out pretty decent sound. It was very frustrating at first; but, when I finally figured out how to configure everthing; this is the best sound to ever come bundled with a MB! :)
    Once I discovered how to get the Coax/Digital working - it was great! This is not your everyday 'onboard sound'. I played Farcry and the surround was very impressive; which makes the price of this board look very good. :bigsmile:
    Underwater, I could distinctly hear the bubbles, breathing, helicopters (more than one) overhead - and this is only with one good ear. I was going to reinstall my Audigy 4 SE; but now, I don't feel the need to. :banana:
    Is anyone else liking this card?

2. Nightowl225

Nightowl225 Master Guru

GPU:
    Two ASUS GTX 760 in SLI
    What you will want to do, is download the ADI 1988B 7.1 drivers for the ASUS P5K Deluxe, these are the updated drivers for the ADI 1988B 7.1 HD Audio codec, that is on the Supreme FXII, the Supreme FXI, and many other highend ASUS boards, and has the SonicFocus Blackhawk Equalizer program, and an OpenAL driver in it.

I got the Supreme FX1 card with my ASUS P5N32-E SLI board, and I'm seriously thinking about starting to use it, once I have the replacement HT OMEGA CLARO, in my hands from Newegg.

3. RandyB

RandyB Banned

GPU:
    HIS HD4870/Samsung2343BWX
    Been there - done that! Yes, I have the Blackhawk program and it works really well - now that I've figured it out. :)

4. reflex

reflex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT 725/1800/2000
    I tried mine that came with my Asus P5E, but I got "sound artifacts", like - for example, in warsow, some places on the map I wouldn't here my gun shooting, or I'd here it like it was really really far away. Really really annoying. For now I'm back with my Audigy2ZS, but if Anyone has a fix for my problem I'd probably go back to the Supreme FX II

5. Nightowl225

Nightowl225 Master Guru

GPU:
    Two ASUS GTX 760 in SLI
    What sucks is that ASUS hasn't updated the audio drivers for my board since April 2007, which is why I downloaded the latest ADI 1988B 7.1 HD Audio drivers for the ASUS P5K Deluxe.

6. simri

simri New Member

GPU:
    ATI HD 2900 XT @ 850/1000
  7. snip3r_3

snip3r_3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Works fine in any game i run, maybe try different sound settings? I remember sometimes if you put integrated sound with High/Ultra settings (like BF2) it just gets messed up.

Latest sound drivers for vista (and blackhawk) are on the sonic focus site, not asus as simri posted links.

8. Hexedit

Hexedit New Member

This is my first post here, but I have been struggling with the Supreme FX II trying to get it to work properly. I have it hooked up to my receiver using an optical cable and I can get it to output Dolby Digital 5.1 when watching a movie in Media Center on Vista 64 Ultimate; however, all the other sounds (Games, Music) are all 2 channel PCM encoded crap. I cannot get a single game to work in 5.1. For example I tried playing Unreal Tournament 3 using OpenAL and it outputted 2 channel PCM. The blackhawk dash will not let me select anything other than headphones or stereo speakers. Can anyone tell me how to fix this?

9. t3chnomanc3r

t3chnomanc3r New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 3870X2
    According to Asus level 2 TS, you *CAN NOT* get anything but stereo audio via SPDIF! Now of course the moron was reading the Asus manual not actually knowledgable about it from what I could tell.:stewpid:

So, right or wrong I can not say but I am royally pissed off because my old Asus A78N8X-Deluxe did this just fine and now I have to look into another $200 for a replacement audio card that will both pass DD/DTS & encode it for SPDIF like the old Nvidia SoundStorm was doing for me. :biggun:

I am on XP BTW, frak Vista, so that may limit what I can do with this card also. Another FU from Asus?

10. delfincek

delfincek Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870
    Hello,

I just bought new ASUS P5E and I have a problem with this card. When I connecting it to my receiver via SPDIF I do get a sound but I loose that sound very randomly. It is no matter what I play (MP3, desktop sound, internet radio). Sound is there and there are moments of 1sec where there is silence. So I get interruptions of sound. Otherwise if I do not use digital SPDIF output stereo signal is OK.

My system is freshly installed and I use latest drivers from ASUS web site. I tried also receiver on another motherboard with its own card and it is not a blame. I also changed the cable and nothings helps.

Anyone else had this kind of a problem ?

thanks, D.

11. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    If all you want is DDL or DTS-C you can find one cheaper then $200.

12. snip3r_3

snip3r_3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    There is an updated driver posted on Sonic Focus's site. Give that a try.

13. EAK

EAK Master Guru

GPU:
    ZT-P10800H-10P
    I did the same for my maximus formula. It didnt have updated drivers since 2006. I downloaded the latest driver from the crosshair 2 board, they both use the same audio card. The crosshair set had a windows 7 whql package...they work fantastic.

14. gamerk2

gamerk2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 570 GTX 1.2 GB
    Agreed. ASUS Xonar DX for $89, Auzentech Prelude for around the same price, Auzentech Forte for $139, and even the older Razer Barracuda supports DDL/DTS-C encoding.

Fact is, due to a lack of a 5.1 spec and/or bandwidth (I keep hearing two different arguments on why 5.1 PCM is impossible), uncompressed PCM can only be transmitted in 2.0/2.1 over Spdif. Hence why using digital is in my mind pointless unless you can encode to 5.1 and have the decoder to play back the stream.

15. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080 FE +130/+430
    He some what right for games, you need a DD live card to get 5.1 thru digital for your games. The Supreme FXII card does not encode 5.1 analog to 5.1 digital for gaming. But sources that are already encoded in 5.1( movies 5.1 music) isnt effected which is Decoding. Theres a diffents between the Two. You need Encoding for gaming in digital which why DD live cards was made. Nvidia sound storm had DD live thats why it worked. NVidia sound storm i think was the first DD live onboard of its time.

You have to buy a DD live to output your games in 5.1 thru digital its your only choice for gaming thru Digital also Supreme FX II isnt a DD live card.

Gamer2k he be better off with the xonar then the Razer if he uses Vista/7 because Razer doesnt have any thing like GX/DSGX mode. so Even if he did grab the razer since it does not have GX/DSGX or Xear3D EX which is like GX/DSGX, he would still just get 2 channel any way because of the lack of it unless the game used software mixer to do the 5.1 or Xaudio. If Razer actual did something like that then it be a diffent story.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2009