Supreme Commander Demo

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Anarion, Feb 6, 2007.

1. Copey

Copey Guest

GPU:
    960 2GB
    so if the bombers patrol they wont get shot at???

also can i upgrade the weapons on my commander as there is a option but i dont think i had anywhere near enough resources ??? sorry for the stupid questions

2. OrionRU

OrionRU Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTX (621/1512/2020)

No they will be shot at. Point is to overwhelm the defences.

At later stages in the game direct assault with mass of tanks is nearly impossible.

Think of T3 shield gen with 10-20 T2 Point Defences and 10-20 T3 AA defences. that defence can wipe out a huge force.

3. Copey

Copey Guest

GPU:
    960 2GB
    cheers mate , can i get to T3 in the demo on the second level , not in skirmish , never been a fan of skirmish i like the campains better usually

4. OrionRU

OrionRU Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nah demo maxes at T2 and even then you're missing part of T2's

Its late tonight Ill post some screens from retail game tommorow.

5. Khenglish

Khenglish Master Guru

GPU:
    external GTX 580
    You can upgrade even if you don't have enough resources, but when you run out of mass or power all of your production will be slower, including the upgrade.

I could never get patrol to work right. Sometimes it works perfectly and my bombers blow up everything, but other times they turn around when they get shot at, and loop back into the AA fire just before the AA guns are out of range, even thought I clicked patrol right over the base. Once a bomber flew a mile in the opposite direction and started bombing my own base, a LONG way away from any enemy. Fighters are just as bad, if I tell them to patrol a base to kill off enemy fighters, they sometimes do that, but sometimes they just land in the base and I lose 40 fighters in 5 seconds. It makes sense to me to be able to select multiple points and have your guys go back and forth between them, but I never saw how to do that.

I never got my guys to go anywhere in formation. I heard that you're supposed to left click, then right and left again, but that did nothing at all.

I also read that your supposed to be able to automate lots of micromanagement stuff, but all I could figure out was how to repeat unit build orders, how to change where completed units went, and build lots of the same building in a row. Supposedly you can order engineers and commanders to pretty much build the base for you, but I never saw any way to do that.

You'd think with all the load this game puts on the CPU that the AI would be good, but twice the computer sent its ACU at me all by itself. One time was in the 2nd campaign mission vs 120 tanks, and the 2nd in skirmish vs 3 monkeylords, 8 sACUs, and 30+ siege bots. Not once did the AI ever send a coordinated attack. When it sent the flying gunships at me, it would take down a shield, then the one next to it, and then attack the 1st after it went back up, then the 2nd when the 1st dropped again, and repeat this until it got blown up, even though it EASILY could have taken out all the defenses.

I really like how crazy things can get and all the different tactics you can use, so I think this game has lots of potential. Some of the stuff I didn't know how to do is likely just because the tutorial didn't work, but lots of stuff like the bad AI and bomber attacking my own base need to be fixed.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2007
  6. Abrams

Abrams Master Guru

GPU:
    9800 gtx+/8850m gddr5
    I passed the 3 tech parts mission quite easily. First of all make sure each of the mass extractors are in place with 4 mass storages and some defences, enemy air simply love to stealth bomb them. Once you have it, build a whole lot of T2 Ground2Air and Ground2Ground turrets accross the factories. Especially alot of ground ones at the beach also going a bit into the enemy territory to get rid of huge lot of ships coming on you. Then start building both T1 and T2 armored stuff. I win most of fights by redirecting fire from main units to about 100 light bots, they go first, then i sent the tanks and bombers while big turrets busy chasing the smallish stuff. Dont send small chunks of stuff just to keep attack going, build them up inside your territory, use all engys and your ACU to assist factories, then once you assemble just go nail them. I built almost to the max, then just moved that whole bunch around the map with air transports, had 0.95 kill/loss ratio but got the job done and great to see chunks of reddish dots crash into lines of green ones:chainsaw:

7. OrionRU

OrionRU Ancient Guru

GPU:
    [​IMG]

First mission in Campaign for UEF

Im loving it!

8. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Hm... Not playing the demo anymore? I don't blame you. :thumbup:
    I'm off to start the campaign now too.:gape:

EDIT: Oh, and build some mass storage things...

9. OrionRU

OrionRU Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I had 16 T1 factories pumping out tanks constantly in that pic :p

10. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    16 factories? lol... I was talking about your mass limit stuck on 1150. I don't think you can build mass storage structures in the first level tho, or can you?

Just started the campaign for UEF, the game rocks, but I'm having the same problem as with the demo, it keeps restarting my pc. Anyone having this problem?

Oh, and I love the way you can build multiple buildings (handy with power generators for example) with just dragging the mouse around. It's all very intuitive.

11. OrionRU

OrionRU Ancient Guru

GPU:
    The second mission is tricky!

Whent they tell you Aeon are about to attack, they will not touch your main base... They will for generator.

Lame, i got owned that mission gotta start over >>.<<

12. OrionRU

OrionRU Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Also second mission brought my PC to a stand still for some reason...

First mission with around 300 units on screen, not even a slow down.

2nd, with like 30 huge slow down.

13. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Hm, I just finished that first mission, was quite good fun. I kept building countless turrets, had about 40 of each towards the end of the mission. Haven't started the 2nd yet, will tomorrow. Will let you know about the performance, I had a slight slowdown in the first one, in big battles. But nothing major.

Anyway, a few screenshots from the 1st UEF mission.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Abrams

Abrams Master Guru

GPU:
    9800 gtx+/8850m gddr5
    One thing im still missing, in both demo/regular one, how you get yours mass production(that green number) that high like +500? I built a T3 factory in demo along with T3 Air and surrounded them with generators T1/2/3 and energy storages, still on max builds it takes me max to maybe +50 even if i got about 5 mass extractors working?

15. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    hm... build more mass extractors. and upgrade them... 5 extractors is nothing in bigger campaigns... Even in the first level of the UEF campaign, which is like a small starting map I had around 15 extractors built. Also build mass storages, they are very handy as they increase the maximum capacity of mass you can hold.

16. OrionRU

OrionRU Ancient Guru

GPU:
    In skirmish I run 20+ T3 Mass fabricators

17. OrionRU

OrionRU Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Also, if you are forcing AA through CP or using Enhance AA setting with G80 your perfomance will be cut in half...

Literally. Just tested it.

With 8AA enhanced perfomance == 57
    with 8AA app controlled == 32
    (lower is better)

18. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Hey OrionRU, have you completed that 2nd level of the UEF campaign? I'll get on it later today...

19. OrionRU

OrionRU Ancient Guru

GPU:

Nah not yet. :)

20. Copey

Copey Guest

GPU:
    960 2GB
    ive just ordered the special editon version , i hoping i get it for friday