Support for Windows 98 ends (again)

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by scatman839, Jul 11, 2006.

1. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
  2. r3claim3r

r3claim3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Up until recently, I thought that M$ had quit supporting Win98 until I read a similar article last week.

I would think that most new viruses target Windows 2000 and XP instead of 9x. More people use them than the old DOSers (95, 98, and ME).

I still have my 95, 98SE, and ME disks. I don't really use them anymore.

3. Blaise

Blaise Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 4090 OC
    I retired my last ME rig last week (a work test machine) and replaced it with Windows 2000. This machine has 7 inkjet printers hanging off it and is used specifically to test cartridges I refill (guess my profession). What was a major surprise was a) how many patches it required to get 2000 up-to-date, and b) how much better USB support is under 2000 over ME (I used to fight communication errors particularly with Lexmark).

Personally, I don't give a toss about them dropping support for the older operating systems (looks like 70M customers need to upgrade or fend support for themselves). I used to be a software developer and I would sunset (i.e. drop support) releases more than 2 generations old - it's just too damn hard to support and normally fixes for earlier bugs have been eradicated in the later builds. It used to annoy me no end that people would continue to hold on to old versions and complain about problems that were already fixed in a newer release.

4. Sieras

Sieras Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 4GB
    hmm.. i've heard about it long long time ago, and they do it again :D well, i don't use any of those 98/ME for a quite a long time, but still have those disks though, like r3claim3r :) have no idea what to do with them :D
    but i remember, that those 98 was a pain in my head and nothing more.. so much problems and all, the only good thing about them was that they run really reaaly fast and don't eat up so many resources :) the Windows ME was the most unsuccesfull microsoft release (my opinion.. ), but i still tried them because they were new and i expected them to be great.. well, they woked on my old rig for some time..but later i threw them off and installed win 2k, was very happy with the stability of those :D and later, win xp shew up.. :dave: anyway, old products will always become obsolete in one day, so it's logical that microsoft is doing so :) they should focus on what's used now, and by the most people :) and who still uses those 98/ME (or even 95 :( ) should think about an upgrade :)

5. r3claim3r

r3claim3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Windows 98 is still good for running very old games that are incompatible with Win2K or XP, for those who believe that there's no school like old school.

6. SolidBladez

SolidBladez Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti OC
    Microsoft's support for Windows 98 sucks. I was just reinstalling my dad's computer and when I went to go do a Windows Update, I got an error. I tried sending them a email using the link they had but it was an old account which had closed so the email couldn't be sent. HAHAH. I finally figured out that I needed IE6 instead of IE5 to install the updates.
    Since the support for 98 has just ended, I hope my dad will go out and upgrade to a better computer (he won't let me build one for him:flame:).

7. Animatrix

Animatrix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC2 512
  8. p.vlad

p.vlad Master Guru

GPU:
    8800GTX (resurrected)