Super PI question

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by PhatPhat, Jan 1, 2006.

1. PhatPhat

PhatPhat Active Member

GPU:
    PNY 6800GT 420/1100
    i have corsair xms3200xlpt at 230x2 at it passes super pi, should i assume this is stable

cpu is at 37 C
    MB is at 28 C

all on air idle.

2. bbvdd2

bbvdd2 Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 960 WHITE SLI
    No. SuperPi isn't really a stress test. It only calculates Pi and doesn't use the full intruction sets of the CPU.

You should run a bunch of different tests to assume stability.

Prime95, OCCT, Sandra, PCMark, 3DMark, then try some games if some of those pass.

3. targett

targett Master Guru

GPU:
    7800GTX 256mb
    32M is usually a fair indication that a system might be stable,

but bbvdd2 is right, its not a stress test.

of all the benchmarks 32M SPI is the hardest to pass, so most benchers class 32M as stable (fully bench stable).

i can do 32M @ 3080Mhz, cant SP2004 much over 2970 @ the same vcore.

targ

4. Royicus

Royicus Ancient Guru

What I've started to do is use superpi as a kind of preliminary stability checker. Since it is relatively quick, I go in extremely small increments using clockgen until I get an error. I then roll back maybe 10 MHz and then stability test that using 3dmark01, memtest, and a day or two of Prime95. If I can pass all that, I generally consider it stable.

5. PhatPhat

PhatPhat Active Member

GPU:
    PNY 6800GT 420/1100
    is 5390 MB/s in sandra memory bandwith test good... cuz its getting compared to ddr 2 machines and im smokin em. seems weird

6. targett

targett Master Guru

GPU:
    7800GTX 256mb
    not for stabilty,

best way to know how good something is for stablity is how long it lasts.

to complete a test your comp only needs to be stable for that length of time.

not a bad sandra score, DDR2 isnt that fast due to its high latencies, but they are improving in both speed and timings and it is the future.

targ