Super old budget build!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Flamin-roids, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Flamin-roids

Flamin-roids Maha Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 4870 X2
    I'm glad there are others who appreciate old computers. 10 years ago, I would have killed for the competer I'm building now (the PIII one that is).

2. Deathspank

Deathspank Guest

GPU:
    Gainward GTX570 1280mb
    lol i thought they were water dispencers.

3. Flamin-roids

Flamin-roids Maha Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 4870 X2
    Well this sucks. I got all of the parts that I ordered and the key component (CPU) will not work. The computer currently has an ASUS CUV4X board in it and it came with a celeron 800. Now i ordered a 1.4ghz pentium 3. The FSB is different on both of them but I have PC133 ram and I set it to jumperless so I could adjust the FSB and multiplier in the bios. The computer will not boot at all with the P3. I am guessing that its a bad CPU but I want to make sure my board will even support it first.

4. Brendruis

Brendruis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Reference GTX 680 SLI
    It will not work with a Pentium 3 1.3GHz nicknamed the Tualatin. It requires more power you will need to modify the board. The board is designed for the "Coppermine" chips like the Pentium 3 900MHz for instance.

There actually used to be an "upgrade socket" they don't really make these things anymore and I bet it would be very hard to find.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2011

5. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    This I have found. Dug my old rig out of the loft and made a few "improvements" to it, though it's still a bit on the noisy side for my liking. "New" CPU cooler in order.

Currently
    Sempron 2600+ 333 FSB
    2GB DDR400
    9800 PRO.
    WinXP

Works like a treat, can't fault it. Hell it even loads faster than my win7 machine with specs left.

6. Flamin-roids

Flamin-roids Maha Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 4870 X2
    I did some research on it and if the board can support a "coppermine", it can support a "tualatin" as far as voltage goes. The issue is that intel made a few of the pins function differently so i wouldn't be compatible with older boards. I am going to update the BIOS and see if that helps. I forgot that old processors weren't as user friendly when it came to compatibility as the newer processors are.

7. Chadmin

Chadmin Guest

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE HD6970
    Just my luck a thread about oldstuff.
    I just cleaned out my Workshop and threw out all the old gear I had.
    About 4 cases and 4 apple boxes with assorted mobo cpu pci pcie video and sound cards.
    About the oldest I have left is a P5Qdulux with a quad core 4gigddr2 and a 5770.

8. grunger

grunger Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX970 4GB
    Yep the tualatins were more power hungry, great chips though...

Infact as I recall a really overclocked 1.4Ghz P3 Tualatin would beat a P4 Northwood in most applications apart from video encoding....

9. DementeD

DementeD Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD "6970" 1000/1500
    i have an old rig in my back room thats nice to use but i think ill use it for video surveillance
    has an althon 3000+ s754 though :( 1.5gb ddr400 gv650 capture card for 8 cameras and a agp 9400 64mb vid card.. nothing great but runs xp well ..i love playing with old comps.
    Also i have 1.8 celeron with 768mb ddr266 and then 2 p4's with ddr2 but blown psu's in both..not sure what speed they are though..need to order some new psu's for like 7 bucks each on ebay, got the comp for free so why not right?