Super old budget build!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Flamin-roids, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Flamin-roids

Flamin-roids Maha Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 4870 X2
    So I was making my usual rounds through the thrift store when I came across a $7 computer. I didn't know what was in it but it did have a DVD drive and a Lite-on CD-burner so I figured the drives alone were worth $7 so I bought it and took it home. I didn't exactly strike gold when I opened it up to find a Celeron 800 processor but it did have a nice ASUS board and it was a socket 370 so I could swap it with a P3 pretty easily. And it booted too.

Now the 20GB IBM deathstar drive was dead (if anybody remembers those horrible drives) and the video card was an old Elsa so I was about to pull the drives and dump the rest in to the donation bin before i came up with an idea. I got on ebay and found a 1.4ghz Pentium III (Tualatin) for $6. I bought it and snagged a 60GB WD hard drive for $10 as well. I received the parts and put it together. I installed windows xp and it runs super smooth.

At this point I am trying to decide what is a reasonable amount to spend on a video card. I'm into this system $23 and I would like to keep it under $35 total. Any suggestions on what card would go best with this build? And at what point would you stop spending money on such a computer?

2. grunger

grunger Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX970 4GB
    I would have thought you could get a GF4 Ti 4200 or 4600 for next to nothing which would fit that era quite well

You could probably even get a agp 6600GT for about £20, but that is probably overkill

3. Flamin-roids

Flamin-roids Maha Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 4870 X2
    So far I have been looking on ebay and I have yet to find a TI4600 for under $20. I would like to get a 9800 pro or XT but people are asking way too much for those. I've seen FX5200's for around $15 but those are crap.

4. grunger

grunger Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX970 4GB

5. David Lake

David Lake Master Guru

GPU:
    Titan V watercooled
    My god whats the point, a phone is more usefull than that old stuff!

6. micketh

micketh Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3070 8GB
    Because it's enjoyable!

7. fxmercenary

fxmercenary Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC Edition
    I did the same thing, but put a Voodoo 5 card and windows 98 in it. The computer is a top-of-the-line 2001 power house!

I use it to play all my old games.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Gazebo

Gazebo Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 2070 Super
    File server?

9. Flamin-roids

Flamin-roids Maha Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 4870 X2
    My son already has a DSi and a PS3 so he isn't being denied any new technologies. He really loves my old computer games (Warcraft 3 etc) and I want him to get into computers now that he's at an age where he can sorta understand them. My first computer was a PII 350 with a Voodoo 3 video card and I loved the hell out of that thing. Besides, a 1.4ghz PIII is fast enough. If I could snag a 9800pro or a TI4600, it could be a pretty fun computer. I've been on it more than my Quad core system the past week because I can't believe how useful it still is.

10. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Dude, you're freaking me out. First you have the Tie Fighter CD collectors edition, then you have the same exact Joystick I used to have to control it; and then you have my exact keyboard as well. :banana:

Check out X-Wing Alliance. :)

11. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    Because a smart phone doesn't have a nostalgia factor?

Still got a laptop with a P3 working adequatley ;)

12. Anfield82

Anfield82 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 7970
    This is awesome.

13. Flamin-roids

Flamin-roids Maha Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 4870 X2
    Well I picked up a TI4600 for $17 and snagged 1GB of PC133 memory for $10 so it looks like my super old budget build came to about $50. Here's what I ended up with:

CPU: Pentium 3 1.4ghz Tualatin
    Mobo: ASUS CUV4X
    Memory: 1024mb PC133 sdram
    Video: NVidia TI4600 128mb agp 4x
    HDD: Western Digital 60GB 7200rpm IDE
    PSU: Antec smart power 350 watt

It's ten years old but I think it will still prove to be a fun machine.

14. The Chubu

The Chubu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX560 TwinFrozrII OC
    Thats full tower? I SO want one right now.

15. Darkest

Darkest Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD7950
    There's a lot of older games that just don't like to work on newer systems, even with the help of the likes of dos-box and other programs. Even some more recent games from the 2000-2005 era, and all the tweaking in the world wont help at times.

I'm a huge Thief fan, for example. Thief 3 refuses to work for me on more modern platforms no matter what I do, and trust me I've tried 'everything' with no joy. There are other games I have similar issues with, that are a pain to get working properly for various reasons. Half the time whether you get some games working or not even with known 'fixes' it's down to luck.

For this reason I've got a bit of an older single core system sitting around (which also doubles as a file server).

Athlon XP 2000
    MSI K7N2-L
    1024mb PC3200
    Geforce 6200

I can still max the older games I play out on that system, but without the hassle of trying to make some of them work on my main rig. Plus, as I mentioned it has other uses.

16. att_user

att_user Banned

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5870 2 GB
    Hmmm...DOS-Box? I can´t believe that there are games that will not run on todays hardware and OS like Windows 7 64 bit. Maybe checking out the VOGON website will also help with that.

17. Darkest

Darkest Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD7950
    One of the problems with the Thief games is the engine disliking multiple cores, the funny thing is I can get the origional two games working fine. Thief 3 is another story entirely, as is Deus Ex 2 which uses the same engine. Setting the game to run with only one core allows me to start but the games still periodically crash. I literally tried everything possible before throwing that rig together from old parts.

Another game that comes to mind his VTM: Redemption, which is a royal pain in the arse to get running at times. The worst of it is, some of these games will work fine for you, then after a format they'll take some unknown issue even if the reinstall is identical to the last.

Being a retro fan and in need of a bit of a server anyway it just made more sense for me to go the route I did rather than spend inordinate amounts of time farting about with settings and and fixes whenever I felt like playing something a bit on the aged side. Besides, it's fun throwing the old hardware together for the nostalgia factor.

18. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE

What is with those speakers? They look like floor fans.

19. airbud7

airbud7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    12 years ago....=$5000.00 setup...Ill bet media player still sounds Good!!!

20. fxmercenary

fxmercenary Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC Edition
    they are Altec Lansing ACS 450 surround sound speakers.

I have X-wing alliance! it rocks on the voodoo 5!

Old computers are awesome!