Suitable Driver

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by aksel, Jan 30, 2019.

Tags:
  1. aksel

aksel New Member

GPU:
    Radeon HD 7700M
    Hi, all

I’m having a problem with my GPU, Radeon HD 7700M. After last Windows update to version 1809 build 17763.292 it stopped working and I’m unable to even install a driver for it, trying to install a driver will end up with BSOD and various error codes, this is what I’ve tried:
    1. Uninstall the two drivers Intel and AMD with “AMD tool”, and reboot.
    2. Install Intel driver, reboot.
    3. Trying to install AMD driver from inside Windows with AV disabled will always fail, and end up with nothing installed.
    4. Disabled ULPS.
    5. Trying to install in safe mode will install successfully, but the machine will not boot.
    6. Back to safe mode and disable AMD will allow the machine to normally boot.
    7. Tried the above with different Drivers the original and newer versions with same results.
    My Laptop:
    • · Dell model: inspiron 7520
    • · Intel i7 Proccessor.
    • · 8 GB RAM Memory.
    • · Intel HD Graphic
    • · AMD Radeon HD 7700 M.

I hope I’m posting in the right thread as this is my first post.

Appreciate any help, Thanks.

2. GlennB

GlennB Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 EK
    try uninstalling with DDU and what sort of error message do you get on the blue screen.

3. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Evga 2070XC ultra
  4. aksel

aksel New Member

GPU:
    Radeon HD 7700M
    Thank you GlennB for your answer, and yes I used DDU along with AMD tool to uninstall. I always get a BSOD and this "Thread Stuck In Device Driver".

Thank you for the reply and yes I did, no go.

5. Caesar

Caesar Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070Ti Titanium
  6. GlennB

GlennB Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 EK
    Fix for ATI-based laptops
    Windows 10 Thread Stuck In Device Driver errors have occurred on quite a few laptops that use ATI graphics cards. Here’s how to fix it.

1. Navigate to Control Panel, Hardware and Sound and Power Options.
    2. Select ‘Change plan settings’ next to the selected preferred plan.
    3. Select ‘Change advanced power settings.
    4. Find ATI Graphics Power Settings and select ‘maximized performance’.
    5. Click Save changes and reboot.

Should give this a try if possible. You might have to do this in safe mode if the system does refuse to boot.

7. aksel

aksel New Member

GPU:
    Radeon HD 7700M
    Hi, @Caesar,
    I agree that I should be careful with flushing the BIOS, I will do that at the weekend "Saturday" to give myself the time to carefully do it

Hi, @GlennB
    I do appreciate your time trying to help me. The situation that I'm in now is that I had to uninstall AMD driver, disable the card in order to have the machine to boot, otherwise with the AMD driver installed it will not boot. I do not know if I can install the driver in safe mod then change the power plan as you kindly suggested, then try to boot in normal boot, will this sequence work?

8. elaganza

elaganza Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire r9 380
    the best you should try uninstall driver with ddu in SAFE MODE.Actually u can try also amd uninstall utility.after uninstalling check device manager witn "view all hidden device "mode. check 'user folder' programm data for amd stuff. try in cmd pnputil -e to view installed drivers and pnputil -d oemxx.inf to uninstall any kind of amd display/hdmi drivers.

9. aksel

aksel New Member

GPU:
    Radeon HD 7700M
    This is what I did during this weekend and apparently the problem is solved till now.
    1. Cleaned up with cmd pnputil -d, thanks to @elaganza.
    2. Updated BOIS, thanks to @Caesar.
    3. Installed the Dell driver from their site, and it worked all day yesterday without problems
    @GlennB , after the driver installation I tried to follow your kind advice, but for some reason I was not able to find ATI in the power plan.

Finally I am impressed with the amount of help a new member like me would get, I am really grateful for each of you guys for taking the time and effort to help me out, Thank you all.

10. Caesar

Caesar Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070Ti Titanium
    You are always welcome, guru!!!!

11. elaganza

elaganza Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire r9 380
    :) my POV is you should use drivers from Dell website. It is usiual matter from notebook vendors.