Suicide - How talking helps?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by dk_lightning, Sep 10, 2020.

1. SerotoNiN

SerotoNiN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080
    You have to help yourself if you want help. Such as taking your heart and diabetes meds. Staying on an anti-depressant (careful, some make you suicidal) and getting help as well as maintaining a positive out look. If you don't take care of yourself, you're part of the problem. I cried about my life for years and did nothing to improve it. Then I finally did. I still struggle, but eh. Not as bad. There's always someone worse.

I was feeling bad for myself one day, driving in my neighborhood, while driving and having a pity party I look over and there is this kid...can't be more than 15. Maybe younger. And he's sitting in his garage with his pop but here's the thing. He's all messed up. He's belted into a chair, a disability chair, arms all messed up, head turned, looked like his neck wouldn't let him straighten it. Kid had a huge smile on his face. And I thought, what the frack do I have to feel bad about? Yes, we are all different people and we handle things a certain way, but if we are mentally and physically able to change them there's no reason or need to dwell on them. Dwelling wastes time. That kid can't take a pill and feel better. You can. What you choose to make of your life and your out look of it is up to you. No one else. Talking is good. Just try to ground yourself with the realization you could be strapped to a chair. Life can be hard sometimes. Not saying it can't be. Find the right focuses and don't sit and only think of negatives. It takes work.

2. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
  3. ZXRaziel

ZXRaziel Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia

^
    Good advice - get out don't sit in the house feeling sorry for your self , keep busy man otherwise the depression creeps in . Go outside and look around , the world is a beautiful place just look at the sky , waterfall , full moon and take a deep breath that usually helps .
    I believe that we only have one life one chance , make the most of it before its too late . Give your self a target in life aim to achieve something , leave something good behind so you will be remembered . Volunteering in pet rescue or a care home if you have the time , you will be amazed how good it feels to make someone happy .

4. Holocron

Holocron Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 850M / 4GB
    Reading the Bible helped me a lot when I felt that way. To not be overwhelmed with the enormous amount of text, I suggest going with the One Year version (https://www.amazon.com/One-Year-Bible-NIV/dp/1414359918).

Here, take a glance at this:
    http://www.brandonweb.com/sermons/sermonpages/12kings5.htm

5. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    This is how talking helps
    @dk_lightning

More on the depression

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
  6. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3200U
    Talking helps a lot. It's good to get your feelings out in the open, preferably with a stranger who knows how to help you manage.

7. liluglymane

liluglymane New Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Thanks for starting this discussion.

I hope you've had a chance to get some rest this week. It sounds like you've got some dangling concerns (debts, pandemics) that make you uneasy all the time, which is keeping you from getting some rest and, in turn, making you real sad.

Be a little easier on yourself, even if you have to designate just 10-30 minutes at a time for it. I don't mean you should wallow in self-pity. I mean just try to drink some water throughout the day, and be conscious about your breathing. Maybe you're so worried that you forget to breath sometimes!

Another thing that is crucial: make getting regular sleep a priority.
    This may be the most difficult, which is why you must devote a serious effort to it. Put it in your mind that you need to create a permanent sleep schedule. adjust if necessary for a job or other priorities but sleep itself needs to be a high priority.

If I were to extrapolate from my own miserable life I suspect you go to sleep every night thinking about your losses, recalling the long-gone but cherished moments, maybe even fantasizing about re-living those moments. Then you sleep in late the next morning, clinging to the dreams and fantasy. You eventually get up feeling all hazy, especially if there were drugs and alcohol involved the previous night. And the cycle continues.

Maybe that was an oddly specific generalization on my part. I hope you can't relate to that! But if you do, then I suggest working to eradicate that thought pattern. And if applicable, cut out drugs and alcohol.

Whatever keeps you up at night, you have to learn to manage those concerns as they arise throughout the day. If there are concerns about something that you have to do sometime in the near future, then maybe you can soothe them by planning realistically or taking small steps toward a good outcome. Easier said than done, I know. But even entertaining the possibility of planning is a good start.

If there are generally miserable thoughts about emotional loss that dangle in your mind, I suggest creating a designated time block for these thoughts and stick to it by determining something to distract and engage you immediately afterwards. If the time block thing isn't for you, then simply try to distract yourself from those thoughts by posting here, reading about the new graphics cards, or whatever else works for you. The key here is simply to avoid dwelling on these thoughts, as you'll find that misery is an inexhaustible resource that multiplies the more you feed into it.

Sure there is a lot of collective suffering among us now, but there's also a lot more sympathy going around. find someone to sympathize with.

Wishing you well brother.

DannyD likes this.
  8. When you talk - you find something out that you didn't know when you were silent.

9. electronerd35

electronerd35 Member

GPU:
    8 RAM
    I know Depressions from family members and it's one of the hardest deseases one can have. You should start to see a therapist who can teach you behaviour which can help you in hard times.
    Tell your friends and family how you're feeling and what kind of behaviour helps you and which one does not. It's always easier for people telling you you should be strong and stop suffering than helping you in the right way. Sometimes you only need a hug and no words so you can kind of feel that you are not alone.

Repo Man likes this.