Suggestions Wanted for Automatic Backup of HD

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Ladyhawk, Dec 2, 2000.

1. Ladyhawk

Ladyhawk Member

GPU:
    Sapphire ATi Radeon X1900XT 512 MB
    Hi,<P>I've decided to rule out RAID as a backup device for my hard drive. I want to get an IBM Deskstar DTLA 75GXP and do an automatic mirror back up about once per week. I was wondering what configuration and automatic backup utility you all would suggest.<P>I guess I want a cheaper HD (removable or otherwise) that will reliably back up data automatically with the right backup utility. I want a complete copy of the other drive, boot sectors and all.<P><P>------------------<BR>|_/\|)`/|-|/\\/\/|&lt;<P>--Why is there braille on drive-through ATMs?

2. Funny, I refuse to use RAID mirroring because it simply uses two identical (sized) HD's.<P>I'm also looking for backup software which can backup to another HD preferably with some compression. Any thought anyone !?<P>------------------<BR>Hilbert Hagedoorn - Chief Editor<BR>- "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."

3. Ladyhawk

Ladyhawk Member

GPU:
    Hmmmm...<P>Could Microsoft's back-up utility be used in conjunction with task scheduler to automatically image a hard drive once a week? Does it even *do* mirror imaging, boot sectors and all? I've messed with it a little and it wants to save everything in a *.qic file. You'd have to use the back-up program to restore all files, but I think I could live with that, provided it actually does its job.<P>I noticed it allows compression. How large would the backup media have to be for, oh let's say...each gig of space under maximum compression?<P><P>------------------<BR>|_/\|)`/|-|/\\/\/|&lt;<P>--Why is there braille on drive-through ATMs?

4. I've looked at the MS Backup utility in the past, and back then it could not safe to a file/hd.<BR>Ah, I'll check again.

5. Ladyhawk

Ladyhawk Member

GPU:
    Dude,<P>Have you checked into it?<P>------------------<BR>|_/\|)`/|-|/\\/\/|&lt;<P>--Why is there braille on drive-through ATMs?

6. Guest

Guest Guest

I use Norton Ghost to make an identical copy of my main hard drive. At the moment, I must open my case and reconnect my back up hard drive to the ide cable and then boot the computer with the Norton Ghost floppy in the floppy drive. Then it makes an identical copy of the other hard drive. I have tested to see if I could boot my computer with my back up drive, and it works perfectly. The software is normally used to make multiple copies of a single hard drive. I highly recommend this software. The only thing that would make this easier is to make the back up hard drive removeable. I haven't gotten to that yet. Any recommendations on a "kit" for making a hard drive removeable?

7. Ladyhawk

Ladyhawk Member

GPU:
    Yeah, I just tried Ghost, but even with compression it couldn't fit all the information onto my back-up drive. I know it can do spanning, but it's not safe to plug in an extra drive while the power is on...d'oh! I could disable my CD-ROMs and see if it would span to two smaller hard drives, maybe. I even have a third smaller drive (has bad sectors, though), but I was going to put them all in my other computers for more space.<P>With Ghost is it possible to span from a hard drive to a CD-RW? Even if you could, just think how many CD-RWs it would take...AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRGGHHH!!!<P>Maybe the answer is a large-capacity USB hard drive? I imagine they're expensive as hell, though, and probably slower than molasses in January...might be smarter to get a second IDE drive of the same size and do a bi-monthly back-up or something. Anyone know how large a hard drive would be needed to back up a 45 gig drive if you used the highest compression? <P>I really would hate to lose my data now. Hard drive crashes really blow chunks.<P><P>------------------<BR>|_/\|)`/|-|/\\/\/|&lt;<P>--Why is there braille on drive-through ATMs?