Suggestions, should I upgrade my GPUs?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by rolldog, Jun 6, 2015.

1. rolldog

rolldog Member

GPU:
    2 x Gigabyte 980Ti G1 6GB
    First, let me tell you my system specs:
    Asus X99 Deluxe
    Intel i7-5960X OC'd to 4.4GHz
    Koolance 380i
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 2800 DDR4 memory
    Corsair AX1200i PSU
    EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti Superclocked (w/ full EK waterblock)
    EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti Superclocked w/ ACX cooler (cooler replaced with EK waterblock)
    These two GPUs are running SLI
    Running 3 monitors, a 4K monitor, 1440 IPS monitor, and a 1080P monitor

I want to be able to run games and stream video in 4K, and with the latest release of Nvidia's 980 Tis, Nvidia has been marketing these cards as their "4k GPUs." Looking through some performance benchmarks comparing the 780 Ti Superclocked with their 980 Ti, some tests look like the 980 Ti won't be a huge benefit, in others, looks like it would be a significant boost from a 780 Ti. I realize these are new cards, and it's only a matter of time before every manufacturer releases their "amped up" version, but if I were to upgrade my 780 Tis to the newer 980 Tis, would I see an increase in performance where I could possibly play some games in 4K, maxed out, and not experience any studdering? Would two 980 Tis running SLI be able to run 3 4K monitors allowing me to upgrade the two I currently have that aren't 4K.

I'd like to know if A. I would see a performance increase, and B. Considering what I could get fir my 780 Tis, I wouldn't be coming out of pocket for 2 brand new cards with waterblocks, just the difference between the price of the new cards minus what I get for my current cards.

Does anyone have any advice? I really appreciate anyainput. put

2. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    980Ti SLI for 4k would be a massive upgrade over 780Ti SLI.

3. lexer98

lexer98 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 - WC
    >Other advantage of upgrading to a 980ti is the VRAM, some actual games hit the 3Gb mark even at 1440p.
    Maybe your problem is there, yours GPUs hit the 3Gb mark and the game start "swaping" textures from the hard-drive.
    >3 x 4K with two 980Ti.... Mmmmm maybe, but at 30FPS without filters and lowering the graphics settings

Last edited: Jun 6, 2015
  4. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    I hit the 3gb mark regularly, the 1 game I could run out of vram was far cry 4 with 8x aa. 4xaa all other settings maxed high fps same vram usage, I would go 2 980ti myself for 4k, I think I am going to get a couple myself. He only has 1 4k monitor.

5. rolldog

rolldog Member

GPU:
    I do have only 1 4K monitor now, but I'd like to replace my other 2 with 4K monitors. Of course, I'd love to be able to run 3 4K monitors while playing a game and have them setup using Nvidia Surround, but I don't think 2 980 Tis would be able to do this. I'd be satisfied if I could just run 3 4K monitors so each one runs at the same resolution and I can utilize all 3 while I'm working, but if I have to disable 2 of them when playing a game so I can get smooth video, I'm fine with that.

I also have an Nvidia Shield Tablet, and I just got my Nvidia Android Pro TV in yesterday. I'd like to be able to stream some games to my TV in 4K. I tried doing this playing The Witcher 3, but it only played for about 1 minute before hanging up.

Like I mentioned, I'm running 2 780 Tis. 1 is an EVGA Superclocked and the other is an EVGA Superclocked that came with an ACX cooler, which I replaced with a waterblock. The EVGA ACX GPU will overclock at a higher speed. Does this have something to do with the card itself, or is it just luck that it overclocks better? I'm just wondering if I should go ahead and buy some 980 Tis or wait until some manufacturers have come out with their versions of the 980 Ti.

6. rolldog

rolldog Member

GPU:
    I use 3 monitors mostly for work (I work from home so my work PC and my personal PC is the same) . I usually have them setup so I'm running different applications on each monitor, but whenever I play a game, I'll usually only use one monitor, my 4K monitor is my primary monitor. I used to have 3 1080P monitors, but over the last couple of years, I bought a 27" IPS 1440 monitor, and then I bought a 4K monitor. I was just wondering if I would be able to run 3 4K monitors so I'm using the same resolution on each one. This way, whenever I move an application to another monitor, I don't always have to resize the windows like I do now running 3 monitors and each one using a different resolution. I wouldn't think I would be able to utilize all 3 simultaneously playing a game. I would probably just use 1 monitor. That would be sweet though.

7. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I would look into 3 or 4 if you want to run 3 4k monitors. 2way sli for 1 4k screen is what i would do. 980ti should fit the bill. Not all cards can be overclocked exactly the same, silicon lottery. In my years of sli usage adding sli takes away some overclocking abilities (you will prob get a stable higher clock running single cards instead of sli)

Last edited: Jun 6, 2015
  8. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC
    We're not yet at a point where a single card, be it the Titan X or the 980Ti, can comfortably run a demanding game at close to max settings, no AA, at a constant 60FPS. Far from it.

9. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    Titan X gets very very close. 40-50FPS in Battlefield 4/Far Cry 4.

10. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC
    That's average FPS.

11. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
  12. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I do not consider that framerate acceptable. I need a bare minimum of 60fps never dropping below that.

13. rolldog

rolldog Member

GPU:
    Does anyone even make full waterblocks for the 980 Ti yet?