Sugar-free Energy Drink..

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by shadex, May 14, 2020.

1. shadex

shadex Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA Merc 6600 XT
    Hola! I have wondered from time-to-time if sugar-free energy drinks caused weight gain or not. Artificial sweetener, such as sucrose, triggers sugar addiction, and what's even worst, it's a form of carbohydrate which converts into sugar via liver (which obviously converts into fat). I exercise daily and energy drinks helps (preferably Bang).

So.. any ideas? I might go healthier version of energy drinks such as TurboForce or Synapse.

https://nullchiropractic.com/bang-energy-drinks-are-they-healthy-ww/

2. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Not a dietician, nor a MD.
    Avoid sugar and artificial sweeteners like the plague.
    You may be highly active and exercise. That's a good thing. But sugar cravings are a PITA and having that sugars in your body eventually will trigger insulin resistance which is a nasty thing. Can lead to damages on the vascular endothelial tissue, things that body will try to heal by forming calcification on that small wounds. And calcification of your arteries is the widow maker - silent killer.
    People are not aware that sugar is the number 1 killer worldwide.
    Avoid sugar at all costs.
    There are some natural energy boosters.
    When I was in kayak team I was fed a mixture of raw honey, propolis, polen and royal jelly. A few spoons and it was enough. But this thing cost some money you want to get the real thing.

Last edited: May 14, 2020
  3. shadex

shadex Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA Merc 6600 XT
    Thanks. Does this apply to sucrose as well?

4. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    I just drink a Pepsi max now and again but yeah I wouldn't know if they're incredibly addictive or not but the sweetener chemical they do use as a white sugar replacement certainly has something to it that's pretty obvious far a I can tell at least.
    Reducing the sugar intake overall was the most difficult part of restructuring food intake for the training I am now doing and the resulting gains first reducing weight and overall body fat then increasing weight by building up musculature again.

Take a juice for example, finding a sugar less variant ended up being almost impossible and even around 8 - 10% is as best as it gets short of you know pulping the fruit directly in fact when going over the actual sugar percentages both fruit sugar and added the general is 30 up to as much as almost 60% and even reduced sugar variants like ketchup or what not still has a pretty high amount in it. :D

I don't know much about energy drinks though they're certainly popular enough both among younger an older people and there's often variants in gyms back when I was using these instead of doing outdoors training but I had difficulty enough trying to just reduce soda and other sugar drink intakes without adding in some less than ideal energy drinks and whatever all these contain, some are probably fairly good but others probably do need some reading up on and then addictive substances and what these actually do on the body itself or cause the brain to be like "Oh yeah I want that!" ha ha.

5. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Sadly, yes.
    Get a jar of raw honey, go to a bee hive and get one. Eat a few spoons and it will provide long lasting stamina, if you have a sweet tooth.
    That thing from supermarkets is pure BS. Don't buy it.

JonasBeckman likes this.
  6. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    I quit smoking 13 years ago and I was a heavy smoker. It was hard. So hard. But I did it.
    Now, to quit sugar and soda was an insanely hard challenge. Also, got rid of that.
    Now, next thing is to adapt to new stages of defense against cravings or tricks brain has to go back to those addictions.
    After so many years.

JonasBeckman likes this.
  7. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    I got my energy drink with honey too

5dcl water
    2spoons of honey
    1-2spoons of apple vinegar
    1lemon

Drink for a good month and observe positive effects, also boosts immune system, detox body- more alkane, rich with minerals and vitamins.

Apple vinegar was cherry on top.

Ive been drinking this since last october and never got ill after that, also no sore throat anymore during cold days.

Even ancient egyptians used apple vinigar&honey as a magic elexir drink :)

anticupidon likes this.
  8. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    The daily recommended dose is no more than 2 teaspoons. Our bodies suck at burning carbs from sugars.
    Luckily we have raw honey in the store here, but it's pretty expensive.

9. Coolerking

Coolerking Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX5700 XT
    I have worked for a bunch of different racing teams, and we always got a stack of cases of whichever energy drink company was writing the check.
    We also got stacks of water, in cans that look identical to the real thing, except for the tiny words around the top that say "pure spring water "
    Next time you see any athlete drinking one, i promise you its water...

RzrTrek likes this.
  10. shadex

shadex Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA Merc 6600 XT
    Thanks..... I will keep that in mind. I have Apple Cider Vinegar "Mother's Nature" (aka NON-GMO). Does Makuna honey count? Organic honey from local farmer's market count?

11. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    If you can buy from local farmers market and they'll provide some way to trace the origin of the honey, I think that's it.
    But try to apply a little thing called "local news"aka town gossip.
    Usually, between farmers there is always a competition and some will go out of their way to sell more. Just ask the question and listen to the non verbal response and maybe you be amazed what you'll find out about who decided to "baptized"their batch of honey with the infamous Chinese rice syrup just to increase the quantity of their production.
    My uncle has a few beehives and he decided not to sell anymore on the local market because of this
    He just gives the batch to family and close friends, and personal consumption. You just can't compete with "laced" honey because if the price.
    Sorry for the slight thread derail, but I wanted to point out that even close to the source, you can be swindled a bit.

TL DR get honey from local producers and ask if they add rice syrup to the batch.(just try to be diplomat, nobody wants to confess to this)

12. shadex

shadex Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA Merc 6600 XT
    I am starting to notice premature grey hair growing out in different length - energy drink is causing this?

13. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    I've had gray hair strands in the beard for some time and since a few years now also the hair. Aging and DNA and all that, dad lost most of his in the 20's and I have a nice little receding hairline already so there's a reason I just use the trimmer and go with a shorter hairstyle. :p
    34 years old here, I don't mind too much and other factors can also greatly contribute not that I'm an expert on hair or anything but stress as one thing or how to be body perceives it which can vary. :)

EDIT: Optimal is like what 15 - 25 years and then 30 and hey middle aged!
    Yeah that's not going to set off a few people but the body is what it is not that it's impossible to keep going well into the senior years or anything but there are some changes and they do start comparably early for how long ones life span can be.

I take long walks as does many of the seniors around here so being passed by a 70 - 80 year old who's both faster and less fatigued is common. I am impressed but they've also been doing it for a lot longer than I have so skill and routine factors in.

Historical truth too for that matter. :p
    https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/OldMaster
    (And probably a lot more examples beyond those real life ones.)

EDIT: I don't think sugar and/or a bunch of hopefully declared and mostly-OK chemicals or other booster additives directly contribute.

Perhaps it could in some way though, caffeine alone however would mean most coffee enthusiasts would be graying if it was a major contributing factor.
    Taurine or how it's called and all these other things well I can't say much about these as I don't know much about them.

Red Bull and it's variants and other popular among teens energy drinks probably would have shown effect if it was a thing considering the amount of these that get consumed even with the 15 year old or above age limit enforcement on purchasing them.

Last edited: May 24, 2020
  14. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Used your recipe and took one minute to say: Why didn't I had this before? Why on Earth I just didn't knew this exists?
    Cool drink and healthy. Sugary, soda drinks can stay on the shelf forever, I can have better, healthier option and I know exactly what goes in my drink. And yes, apple vinegar's tartness just suits me.
    Thanks @-Tj-

-Tj- likes this.
  15. vidra

vidra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1060 6GB
    Strong coffe with no sugar.

16. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    Or just caffeine pills.

I use to take energy drinks before workouts but found them to be a waste of money.

To the OP, I have always found fake sugar to be a lie as to its better for you bs. And most sugar in pop/energy drinks is corn syrup. It's rare to find anything with real cane sugar in it anymore.

17. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    sucrose, sucralose, etc (artificial sweeteners) are actually BAD for you..... They've been shown to cause a myriad of health conditions....

anticupidon likes this.
  18. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    @-Tj- tweaked your recipe.
    Added a small pinch of salt ( the best quality I could find) and some fresh slices of ginger, cut in small pieces.
    Added a new flavour and aroma. At work, someone was constantly asking what in the hell I was drinking so "passionate" and made him a small batch for the next day, just to try and see if he likes it.
    Guy showed up at work after a night of heavy drinking and that beverage was to him " the best hangover remedy " he tried in years!!
    Now, we both have our bottle of this drink at work. But not for hangovers...

Solfaur and -Tj- like this.
  19. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    :D nice!

anticupidon likes this.
  20. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Excess caffeine can trigger heartbeat issues.
    After microwaving teabags to get more flavour I can no longer have tea or coffee otherwise my heart misses beats all the time, a classic issue due to problems with too much caffeine.
    Now just a normal cup of tea or coffee triggers it, I wrecked something.
    I'm right fecked off cos I love coffee.
    Be warned, you can ruin one of your favourite things in life!

The most I can have a day now is one green tea in the morning (not microwaved) otherwise it starts again.
    Not even decaff lets me off the hook, still too much caffeine.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2020