Suddenly only 2 of my 3 displays are working

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Adma192, Sep 13, 2015.

1. Adma192

Adma192 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 470
    This is quite strange and quite annoying.

Windows 10 / R9 290 / Intel HD 4600

Until last night I was using 3 displays without any problems - HDMI #1 from my GPU to my primary monitor, HDMI #2 from my motherboard to my TV, and DVI also from my motherboard to a secondary monitor.

I then changed the scaling options for the television through Intel's control panel and that was where the problems started.

Now I can only only ever use 2 displays at once with both devices enabled, the only way to get all three working is to disable the 290.

If I disable the R9 290 through the device list all three displays are detected (except through Intel's control panel) and working but obviously I can't use my actual graphics card - if I enable both the 4600 and the 290 simultaneously only the secondary monitor and the television are displayed but the primary monitor receives no signal, *unless* I unplug the DVI cable from the motherboard, then I can use my primary monitor and television fine. The Catalyst control panel is also missing nearly all of it's options/menus when both devices are enabled but the primary monitor is not functioning (that is when all cables are plugged in.)

I've tried doing fresh installs of both drivers but the problem persists and I'm really stumped - it's bothering me that I can't get it back to working perfectly fine like it was last night.

:bonk:

2. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    I guess you have tried the non working port with different cable and or display?

Also why wouldn't you just let the 290 drive all 3 displays?

3. Adma192

Adma192 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 470
    Thanks for the reply.

I now realize I was actually using a VGA cable with the second monitor..

:stewpid:

I had to dig through some old boxes for an adapter but I found a DVI-to-HDMI connection that is now hooked up to the 290 and working fine.. so I'm just going to leave the VGA port alone.

It could have been related to something I did through the Intel control panel though since it started right after I changed the scaling settings.