Sudden power loss/shutdown. PC the auto restarts

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Nosein, Apr 30, 2018.

1. Nosein

Nosein Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 580
    As per title...

• Installed windows vista - no issues
    • Created bootable win8.1 usb on this machine after installing vista - no issues.
    • Installed 8.1 - no issues.
    • Attempted to install usb wireless lan drivers - instant shut down and auto power on/restart.

This shutdown/auto restart is happening sometimes at boot or in windows.

Eventually this shutdown/restart process lead to the fresh windows 8.1 install becoming corrupt. Now, when attempting to reinstall windows, this shutdown/restart process happens.

Also... the hardrive im using to install the OS onto is an exrenal HDD taken from a seagate Expansion portable drive, where ive removed it from its enclosure and installed it in the pc via standard sata connection to the motherboard (the drive had a removable usb to sata converter board plugged into it)

Could this be the issue or maybe the psu?

Is the drive simply taking in more read writes than its suppose to while also trying to run an OS?

Hardware specs
    i7 2600k
    Gigabyte z68x ud3r
    Gtx 580 - that could even be dying
    Zalman GV Series 600w psu

2. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Let's narrow down issue. Can you get LAN cable connection, instead of Wi-Fi?

Hardware Side:
    1) Unplug all unnecessary hardware, including GPU. Use your iGPU for display. Boot with PSU, Motherboard, CPU, RAM, System Drive (OS). Make sure only crucial things connected to MoBo. No front panel USB, no soundcard, etc...
    2) Revert BIOS to default settings. Disable motherboard audio and Bluetooth in bios. No need for those yet.

Proceed to software.

Software side:
    1) OS. I am not sure if half done 8.1 is safe OS to run. Stick to Win7 or Win10. If you have older hardware, Win7 could be safer. (If 8.1 is all you got, it's fine, try upgrading to Win10 if still free).

EDIT: I don't like installing 8.1 after installing Vista. Can you just install 8.1 from beginning?

2) Clean install OS, after just install Motherboard chipset drivers and LAN drivers, nothing more.
    3) After you got LAN drivers up and running, fully update Windows. Run windows update multiple times, make sure its up to date.

Test. See if you get any crashes by watching youtube (you don't have sound at this stage). Once it's stable. Download HWMonitor and Prime95. Run Prime95 while monitoring in HWMonitor. Look for voltage (12V, 5V and v3.3V), CPU temperatures and just check once motherboard temperatures. Nothing should exceed 80c.

Once your CPU, RAM and PSU somewhat stable, add your Gtx580. Install drivers for it and try running a few games. You still don't have sound at this stage. Just making sure GPU is stable.
    Once your CPU, RAM, GPU and PSU seems stable, add soundcard (your motherboard sound, or PCI card) and install drivers for it. See if system stable with it.

Keep adding hard drivers and other hardware you use. Once you get a crash, you should tell what is affecting your system stability.

----------------------

Fast troubleshoot: revert bios to stock (NO OC). Disable non cruicial devices.
    Possible hardware issues: PSU, old motherboard and CPU. If you got spare PSU, test with it.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
    DAW40 likes this.
  3. Nosein

Nosein Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 580
    I unplugged everything besides the motherboard and it still happens.

I tested each stick (4 in total equalling 16gb) of ram. Problem continues.

Vista was installed as it was the only OS i had ready to boot (disk edition). Once it was installed, i created a win8.1 iso bootable install usb, formatted the HDD within the 8.1 install menu. This process was done over the course of 30 - 45 mins with no issue.

I then spent maybe... 15 mins looking through a Western Digital Passport external drive looking for the wireless usb lsn drivers (Installed Speedfan 4.50 during thing time). Once i found the drivers, i hit setup, next....then bam, this shutdown restart issue began.

Reason im using the wireless lan is because i dont have access to the gigabite lan drivers or original mb driver cd. So i cant access the net without installing the drivers first.

Also, if i install a psu i know to be busted, the same issue happens at the same places as it does when the zalman psu is installed.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
  4. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB

5. Nosein

Nosein Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 580
    Thanks for those links.

Though i may have found the issue, need to do more testing.

In this thread:
    http://www.overclock.net/forum/6-in...gigabyte-p67-z68-boot-cycling-problem-79.html

Seems the bio couldve been corrupt. I tried the power on hold, release and press method and so far so good. Installed windows and updates, drivers etc. Though while playing far cry 2 for 20mins ot so, the pc shut down again but could have been coz it was hitting near 75/80 degrees on the gpu.

6. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    PC doesn't shutdown cause of 80 degree on GPU. It's probably the same issue, just different timing.

You just gonna blindly repeat same mistake again and again by randomly trying things. Narrow issue by stripping PC and putting it back together.
    Did it work with minimum setup? (Yes, without GTX580 and only latest windows)
    Did you revert your bios to default settings?

As I said, there high chance of bad PSU, so try to get replacement for testing (borrow from someone).

7. Nosein

Nosein Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 580
    Ok, ill try out a mates psu.

Though last night i checked the bios version using cpuz. Turns out that in the entire time the previous owner never updated it.

So i update to each bios inorder till i reached the latest bios, Legacy to UEFI, and so far, after about 12 hours or uptime, no shutdown/repeat cycle..

Yet.

But ill try a psu off a mate.

Thanks again

8. Nosein

Nosein Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 580
    update:

Problem sill persits (Yet to try new psu).

PC stays on in bios, but as windows starts to load, pc shutsdown and restarts.

9. Nosein

Nosein Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 580
    Update 2

Tested with new PSU. Shutdown restart cycle still happens.

Its weird. I was on it all night last night and friday. Then this morning while on youtube after playing q3a for 2 hours, it shutdown and restarted and now wont even reach the login screen before restarting.

Temps are perfect across the board. Rams sticks are fine, tested with a different gpu, tested with everything out of the case to see if the motherboard was being shorted by the case.....

Im a loss here. It cant be the MB could it. Would a bad motherboard even let me game, install windows and stay running for 6 straight hours and what not?

10. godknowswhy

godknowswhy Member Guru

GPU:
    All sorts
    Experiencing something similar on older equipment and Win 10 LTSB. Simply cuts and reboots. Had a little dig around in event logs only to find reference to sudden loss of power. Doesnt happen everyday or all the time. Sense that its graphics / ram in windows related and started recently like month or so. Obviously no solution, just thought i would share.

11. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    If it graphics, you can run from iGPU and test it.

Sudden power loss is also frequent with bad power supply.

12. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080Ti Strix H20
    Make sure you have a quality one to test too.

You may disassemble whole PC and just put motherboard on box with everything connected.

Possibly heat expansion is causing a short.

13. Nosein

Nosein Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 580
    I did try running the system out case. Had MB sitting on a anti static bag on top of a cardboard box. Shutdown restart still occurs.

Yep, samething.

I did try a diff set of ram and gpu. But problem persists.

I dont have another lga 1155 board to test the cpu. But temps and reading both in windows and bios show no errors.

14. godknowswhy

godknowswhy Member Guru

GPU:
    All sorts
    The source of my problem was Ublock origin on firefox 59/60. Also on Chromiuim. If memory serve me correctly firefox 58 was ok. No system crashes and reboots. Just thought to share.

15. DAW40

DAW40 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1060 6GB
    It's not the temp, it's something fishy going on. Can you try another PSU. Or by one from Fry's or something and return it if it's not the PSU. PC shutting down usually is a CPU temp issue. Like when you go above 90c and what not.