Sudden interest in Phenom

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by Paladinchan, Aug 13, 2008.

1. Paladinchan

Paladinchan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3
    ok.. ive been wanting to upgrade from my "ancient" E6400 for a while now.. but i was just lookin at Newegg and i noticed how cheap (compaired to Intel) the Phenoms are.. from my current setup you guys think if i was to get a quad core chip i would see better performance .. use to be a bit AMD fan till i C2D's came out.. miss them big

2. Phatzy

Phatzy Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 7850
    if you play games there is no point as not many games support 4 cores, if you do alot of photoshop, video edit etc etc, go for the q6600 save your money

3. Paladinchan

Paladinchan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3
    be kinda pointless to get a Q6600 with the new C2D's around the corner.. might as well save for them.. but im lookin more at price/performance totals

4. ManofGod

ManofGod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
    I think the Phenom is a fantastic chip, I have one in fact. However, considering what you own right now, a Q6600 would be the more cost effective choice.

Joe

5. Paladinchan

Paladinchan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3
    should have said i had the idea of getting a Crossfire mobo for future sense.. you know... if im getting a new mobo that opens up possibilites

6. Iarwain

Iarwain Banned

GPU:
    4890 990//1120
    I'd wait for the 45nm phenoms, and their benchmarks. Hopefully in September, most likely sometime in October. Wait for those, and then decide.

7. Psychlone

Psychlone Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD5970 Engineering
    Nah, 9850BE's can be had for UNDER $200 bucks now - GO FOR IT!!! ;)
    http://cpureview.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=66518211/st=product/sv=title

If you're lucky, you'll get a low-voltage chip, in my experience (and I've had 4 of the 9850BE's!) - the lower voltage it can be stable in Windows (under full load, just like overclocking, but the other direction with lower voltage and stock speed) - the better overclocker you have on your hands. (the current one I'm playing with now is stable at 3.51GHZ, but I've had to reduce it to 3.48GHz and less voltage due to my air cooling not being quite good enough for 3.5+)

As for the motherboard, any of the new 780GX/SB750 are worth their weight in gold, and the new 790FX/SB750 boards that are really close to coming out will be the direction I head.
    Good luck!

8. Lowteckh

Lowteckh Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 4850 @ stock
    Just wait for the new stuff to come out. Intel works with crossfire also so I don't see why that's not an option for you. As far as I'm concerned I was happier with my old c2d e6420 @ 3.4ghz than the phenom. Actually just ordered an Athlon 5800 for the higher clock, see how that goes....

9. OldGuy932

OldGuy932 Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 3850 / 3870 Crossfire
    Well, I wouldn't go for the 790GX boards quite yet. I have the one from Asus, M3A78-T, and it is as good as my M3A32-MVP was with an SB600. Vdroop is comparable to all the intel boards I've used, I set 1.3v and I get 1.25v in bios and 1.22 in windows. I haven't quite figured out the ACC feature yet, but when I do I should have a little bit better luck. As has been said before, wait for 790Fx+SB750 and for Deneb Benchmarks, there were a few out already, the one super-pi time, and then a site had it but the TLB fix was enabled so the scores/times were slow.