Substantial FPS difference between Resident Evil Village cracked vs DRM ON (Denuvo)

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 12, 2021.

1. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    This is a double whammy for Denuvo. Performance limiting + crackable.

DannyD likes this.
  2. Sixtyfps

Sixtyfps Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GT73VRE TITAN
    DRM = no buy

3. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GameRock 2080
    F*ck EA and Blizzard!!!

Oh wait.

4. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    That is like asking why DRM is still a thing when only thing tend to hurt person who bought the game and has no effect on people that pirate.

I not saying pirate is good/bad what ever I just say why keep doing DRM thing when they know it dont work. alot dev remove the stuff in patchs later cause it didnt work and it did hamper performance.

5. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    real question is why people keep paying to get punished

pirates wont even know this is a thing, they just enjoy the game with no launchers/accounts/online requirements/annoyances and now even better performance? jeez

TheDeeGee and Athlonite like this.
  6. Athlonite

Athlonite Maha Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5700 8GB
    That Video would have more credence if they used the same driver version for both tests Denuvo On = 466.63 vs Cracked = 471.11 so who's to say that it's not just driver optimisation

7. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro+ RX 6900 XT
    Yep, I'm one of those being punished I guess, though I've yet to see any slowdown while playing the game. I'm now at the tunnel part running around trying not to be killed, no slowdown yet though. Why do game companies bork legit copies of thier game with crud crap DRM and pirates get free reign, shouldn't it be the other way around?:rolleyes:

EspHack and Maddness like this.
  8. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSIrtx3070 gaming X
    Couple of things i noticed in the vid, cpu usage spikes higher in the empress version as well as vram usage is higher and it uses a newer driver version, also using a hdd as a boot drive where the critical save/game data is stored, would have liked to see an all ssd/nvme comparison....not that im interested in the game, at the end of the day....the reason we have drm is because of pirates and like miners....they are not going away any time soon.
    I recently started playing more of GR breakpoint which according to https://www.game-debate.com/games/gamesWithDenuvo still uses Denuvo, i have an all nvme/ssd and my game runs fine, just like all my other games that use Denuvo.

GoldenTiger likes this.
  9. Snorgrind

Snorgrind Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Gaming
    They did something similar to MHW iceborne, I had 100% cpu usage on my old 3770k, when i upgraded to ryzen 5900 it was hovering around 30% across all cores. This basically bruteforced the game to 60fps for me but I still had noticable stutter while moving around. Then a while back they dropped denuvo and cpu usage gone down to 18% and stutter was completely gone and as bonus it now have faster loading times. FPS is still same 60 but it feels way smoother.

10. mackintosh

mackintosh Master Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080Ti
    I’m a simple man, I see Denuvo, I don’t buy the game. Even if it didn’t affect performance, it’s a matter of principle. Always vote with your wallets. It’s the only language they understand.

TheDeeGee likes this.

11. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Master Guru

GPU:
    5700 XT Red Devil
    I wonder, is this a thing in RE2 as well? I have been playing that recently and have noticed weird things like my GPU clock dropping to idle for a brief moment quite regularly. Seems to not be there if run in full screen, though...

12. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Its the same with re2/3 remake.

13. HybOj

HybOj Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 970 DCmini
    So this topic made me investigate more and things are like this:

RE8 has TWO layers of DRM - Denuvo and the Capcom DRM

In this video and released version, ONLY Capcom DRM was removed
    Denuvo is still running at the background NOT disabled, only BYPASSED

These FPS drops were thus caused by Capcom DRM

IF THE DENUVO WAS COMPLETELY REMOVED we would see even more substantial FPS improvement. God knows how much more....

Well... these two layers.... remind me of... Layers of Fear

Thanks for bringing this topic to my attention, kind of went out of games to play

14. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800XT 16GB
    Eventhough I have both legal copies on steam, I play then cracked versions. I paid full price for them but no way Im paying for all the dlc.

I have an i5 4460, 16gb ddr3 1600, fury x rig I can try these two on with the legal copies and see if it has these issues.

15. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I don't think with 6900xt you're get perceptible slowdowns
    cut 100fps by a third you're still getting 70

16. valentyn0

valentyn0 Member Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor 6800 XT
    That's not true, at least for me ! I can tell because i have both versions... The animations are there, not removed.

17. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800XT Nitro+ SE
    COD Cold War has stutter when you run out of video memory. It's a common issue with the game and how it allocates VRAM, it likes to fill/cache memory. The problem has since been fixed in Modern Warfare seen as most people are playing Warzone.

Whereas Cold War still has memory issues. I get massive stutters on my 6800XT after a few minutes of play as it likes to slowly fill 80-90% of VRAM with useless garbage and is consistently switching out assets. Even setting VRAM limit in the games settings to it's lowest of 70% still has stutter issues.

The fix is to go into the games config located here
    C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\Call Of Duty Black Ops Cold War\player

Open up the config folder and search for this line:

Fraction of video memory usage to target

Here you can set video memory to "0.5" and all stutter is completely removed. Set the config file to "read only" to make sure the game doesn't alter the setting.

Your friends GTX970 is pretty low end now, and with its legendary 3.5GB VRAM (the other 0.5GB being SUPER slow) the game is going to spill into that slow VRAM and cause massive stutters. Tell him to try the fix above and see if it helps him out.

I went from seeing 14-15GB VRAM usage to max of 10GB. He should see a similar drop in VRAM usage which should keep him below that 3.5GB limit which you should never go above when using a GTX970.

18. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Master Guru

GPU:
    5700 XT Red Devil
    That'd be very interesting. While I'm experiencing some stutters, I don't know if this is because of some weirdness with the 5700XT or whatever. And I have a 5800X so I don't have a CPU bottleneck :|

19. Zooke

Zooke Master Guru

GPU:
    3090FE + EK Block
    Animations are now fixed in the stutter free scene release,
    No news from Capcom on their fix for paying customers.

Airbud likes this.
  20. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GameRock 2080
    I can already see a thread pop up in 2042... Oh no, the DRM is butchering my fps. I'm shocked.

LOL