Sub with Xonar Essence STX /w 2x Studio Monitors?

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by DraZor, Dec 3, 2017.

1. DraZor

DraZor Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 690
    Forgive the title for its length.

I have the non-2.0 Xonar Essence STX soundcard in comp with some HD650 headphones and Fluid Audio F5 Monitors for output - question is, is it possible with this configuration to add a subwoofer into the mix? And at that without any additional hardware?

Audio sounds sexy enough through the 650s already with the STX, but when producing beats a sub could come in handy when using the Fluid F5 Monitors I believe (the Fluids don't have that low end below 49Hz so it sounds somewhat lackluster as opposed to the 650s).

Thx for any input.

2. Chastity

Chastity Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapph Nitro 390 BP
    Do you already have a sub?

3. DraZor

DraZor Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 690
    No, sorry if it wasn't clear enough, was thinking of buying a sub to add.

4. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Maha Guru

GPU:
    Titan X (Pascal) SLi
    You should be able to use the RCA outputs on the soundcard to connect to the subwoofers RCA inputs and adjust the crossover/subwoofer volume using the controls on the back of the subwoofer.

You'll need a powered subwoofer with a built in amplifier to do this, it'll have to have RCA outputs on the subwoofer as well to connect your main speakers too as well i'd assume.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017

5. DraZor

DraZor Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 690
    Thanks heaps anxious ;).

I'm looking at getting this bad boy to woof the subs with the studio monitors, this section of info here explains it's supposed I/O versatility;
    The rear:
    ... so what I'm gathering from you're input (haha punny), is that I will have to use RCA outs on the sub, which it does not have, however it does has XLR/TRS outs?

6. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Maha Guru

GPU:
    Titan X (Pascal) SLi
    Yep that’ll work just fine with your monitors.

It’ll look something like this: Soundcard RCA output to Subwoofer RCA input, then Subwoofer XLR/TRS (your choice here) to Studio monitors XLR/TRS input.

Hope that helps, enjoy :D

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
  7. DraZor

DraZor Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 690
    Oh you absolute legend anxious, that's what the guy at the audio shop said also, cheers.

As a side-query, there is huge amounts of ground hum coming off the sound card during games through the studio monitors (and a little non-gaming), as mentioned here by me;
    I'm wondering if the sub will eliminate the humming/buzzing without an eliminator? I suppose I'll just fork out the cash to go ahead and grab one in the meantime before I get the sub just to be safe, cause if the sub doesn't eliminate it, there's gonna be some debris...

8. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Maha Guru

GPU:
    Titan X (Pascal) SLi
    No problem at all.

Sounds like you probably have a ground loop problem, sometimes soundcards can amplify things from the power supply, you could try running the soundcard from a different cable on the power supply, or as suggested in the other thread a ground loop isolator should eliminate it

9. DraZor

DraZor Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 690
    Kewl, I will give that a go too I think, thanks again :)

10. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Maha Guru

GPU:
    Titan X (Pascal) SLi
    No problem, hopefully the new setup works well :)