Stuttery Vista x64 :(

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by franki, Apr 23, 2008.

1. franki

franki New Member

GPU:
    Inno3D Geforce 7600GS 256MB
    I was hoping someone would be able to shed some light on what is going on with my PC...

It's a brand new build of Vista Business x64 with SP1, along with an AMD Phenom 9550, 4GB RAM, Asrock ALiveDual-eSATA2 mobo, and an (old-ish) Inno3D Geforce 7600 GS (AGP).

Now, as you'd expect this flies along quite happily on the desktop, but the problem comes when gaming. I can easily reproduce this problem with FSX, so I'll use it as an example. Load the game, and for the first ~2 mins all is fine, decent framerates, menu animation is fine, you know the score. Then it slows to a crawl - 1 frame every 3 seconds kinda crawl. Exit out of the game, and the whole machine is now slow - browsing net and the scrolling is juddery, same with folders and documents. 1 core seems to be heavily loaded, but after a while it subsides, but the problem remains. Now, change back to the Vista Basic theme, and it all flies again (apart from the gaming, which is still knackered). So, a reboot is done, and the whole cycle repeats.

I was thinking something is overheating, but the graphics card has been heavily used in the past and showed no issues, while the CPU fan hasn't spun up (as it does when loaded). All fans are fine. Tried different driver sets (the ones pre 174.85 seem to give 2D corruption) with the same effects. So I'm stumped.

Any ideas on what else to try would be appreciated!

2. Jonny Manc

Jonny Manc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA 3080 LHR
    Hi and Welcome!!

Are all your non-gfx drivers (motherboard etc) up to date?
    Have you tried an older gfx driver? (as you have an older AGP card, maybe pre-170 series)
    Could be Superfetch n stuff sorting itself out in Vista!?

Anyone else got any ideas?

3. fr33k

fr33k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX3080TI FTW3
    you have some pretty good hardware there but you are using an asrock. Those are budget mobos and i wouldn't trust them as far as i could uh... throw one.
    It looks like you are using too much graphics RAM and vista is unable to clear it properly after you are done gaming so it ****s a brick lol.
    look into getting a decent mobo and going PCI-E asap.

4. franki

franki New Member

GPU:
    I've tried 163.75 and 169.25, and these gave graphics corruption. All the mobo drivers etc are up to date.

I'll try letting the machine settle for a while to see if it makes any difference, but in the mean time any other ideas would be good.

5. Shankbuster

Shankbuster Member

GPU:
    EVGA 460GTX
    I would check your temps on your GPU. I have noticed that with 169.xx drivers for my own cards, it doesn't throttle fan speed under load. I think the default is 35% fan speed. Install nTune or RivaTuner and crank up your fan speeds to around 80% to see if it makes a difference. Both utilities will detect your temps.

I think your mainboard and other components are fine. Let us know what happens.

6. franki

franki New Member

GPU:
    Had a look at both RivaTuner and nTune, and it doesn't look like I can change the fan speed - the option is greyed out in nTune, and I can't find it in RivaTuner.

What I have been able to find is that the core temperature is ~50 degrees, and doesn't change when the graphics slow down.

Would you say this is too hot for the card? The thing I find strange is that even if you then let the GPU 'rest' for a while (e.g. an hour), it still stutters on the desktop, with high CPU usage figures for 'normal' tasks, which leads me to think it isn't overheating, rather something to do with memory allocation.

I tried changing the AGP apeture size, and it seemed to help a little, but it still ended up stuttering after a couple of minutes.

Any more ideas?

7. troop

troop Active Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX
    Did you do this? Read carefully. (AGP)

Check: http://www.asrock.com/mb/note/ALiveDual-eSATA2.html#Phenom

'You will need to install NVIDIA® XP 64-bit GART (AGP) driver and set up your system after installing above AGP VGA card on your motherboard.
    Please refer to the quick installation guide for detailed procedures.'

What about other heavy games? Same behaviour?
    -
    Other things to try: Disable Fastwrites for AGP if present in BIOS.

1. Stop services (temp) ReadyBoost and Superfetch. Startup on Automatic.
    2. Navigate to Windows\Prefetch and delete the *content* of folder 'ReadyBoot'
    3. Navigate one up and delete the content of the Prefetch folder. Retain Readyboot folder.
    4. Resume ReadyBoost and Superfetch Service and reboot 2-3 times.
    5. If you install any patches for apps/games which change the executable, repeat 1-4 once in a while.
    -
    Do you have installed everything on one drive (OS + game) only? If so, OS, paging file and game are
    battling over ressources. FSX is heavy on streaming content off drive and Vista is stressing drives as well.
    Your chipset and SATA drivers ok?
    Try to disable Windows search and Indexing services, when running FSX or similar streaming games.
    Get fast second drive and put paging file and games onto that.
    Does this happen as well, if you choose lowest possible settings for FSX? (Viewdistance, ect.)
    -
    Does anything of the above at least ease the stutter up a bit? :)

Edit: Theres more to it. Check your Power saving profiles within Vista. There are 3; High performance,
    Balanced and Energy Saving. If you have choosen the High performance option, check the advanced
    settings ( do this for all three profiles) and make sure you change the setting for 'Windows Indexing' to
    'Power saver'. Thus, it will be immediately suspended, if running games for example and afterwards resumed.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2008
  8. franki

franki New Member

GPU:
    Yeah, I'd read (and followed) the stuff on the ASRock site. I haven't got the exact 7600GS card which it 'guarantees' will work (having bought it well before even considering the mobo), but I don't know if it's significant enough to cause all the problems? Also, the recommended display drivers gave me significant graphics corruption, which is why I've resorted to something from the 174.xx range.

I'll try disabling fast writes and see if that eases up anything, and also the indexing and other services.

Some further info which might (or might not help). I ran the Vista Performance Assessment last night, and since then the machine has stuttered on the desktop constantly as well (even after a cold boot - literally ~7-8 hours off). The only way to get it to run properly is to go back to the Aero Basic theme, and then it flies along. Game performance is still knackered though. So I'm wondering if there's something that got changed after running that which might be a clue?

9. franki

franki New Member

GPU:
    I've tried all the suggestions from troop, to no avail :( Any more suggestions?