Stuttering in almost every game i play

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by hamza1434, Aug 8, 2016.

1. hamza1434

hamza1434 New Member

GPU:
    R9 280 3gb
    Guys i would really like some help right now, ive had my gaming pc for 2 years now and at the start it was good but , i was able to run games with little to no stuttering even in open world games. But right now whenever i do there is always stuttering. Just standing still in games doesn't affect anything 60-120 fps but when i start driving in a car there is alot of stuttering as i move my mouse or just drive, as if the game buidlings are loading slowly/jumpy gameplay. The game will also drop fps as i drive but when i stop after all the area has loaded up it will go back up to 60fps.

I have tried looking at my disk usage and it is never above 60% and i also have a 1TB WD hard drive. A bottleneck (very little) would be my cpu but in most of my games so far it never exceeds 80% and i also have 16gb of ddr4 ram

Last edited: Aug 8, 2016
  2. Spartan

Spartan Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 PCS+
    What cpu do you have?

3. hamza1434

hamza1434 New Member

GPU:
    R9 280 3gb
    It's in older games, la noire far cry 3 ect, mainly free roam sandbox games. Other games such as dark souls 3 and lords of the fallen not as much

4. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    I think your CPU cant handle thise games.

Minitor GPU and CPU usage on background, see if it either hit 90% utilization.

5. hamza1434

hamza1434 New Member

GPU:
    R9 280 3gb
    Guys I know my cpu is abit old but it never goes beyond 80%, I am pretty ok, I can max out advanced warfare and it runs smoothly but when playing sandbox games it's a whole nother story

6. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Maxing out video settings, doesnt always put more pressure on CPU, you just add more load on GPU by doing it. Modern warfare is old game.Now far cry3 is more recent, and since its newer engine with physics and and other effects that directly load CPU, not GPU.

OK, just lower your far cry video settings to minimum and see if lag still happening. If it does, it would obviously be CPU not keeping up.

7. Vipu2

Vipu2 Master Guru

GPU:
    1070ti
    Do you have SSD?
    Not sure if that would fix your stuttering but it would help A LOT at everything if you dont already have 1.

8. Valken

Valken Maha Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    SSD. Get one. In GTA and other free roam games, the data is constantly loading and streaming into your system.

Move the game to the SSD and it will be MUCH better.

Then when you save up, get a better CPU/MB and the fastest ram you can afford for it. It will feel like night and day especially with free roam games.

9. seercirra

seercirra Member Guru

GPU:
    RX480 Nitro+O.C.
    AMD settings is buggy as hell. I've had stuttering where there was no stuttering before and it turned out to be the mere presence of AMD settings running. CTRL alt delete that fool and see if the stuttering goes away. If it does but you still want the AMD software, do a clean wipe of drivers and software and reinstall.

10. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080GTX STRIX
    +1 to this as well. Though it's kind of game dependent. Some games benefit largely from SSD's, others barely.

Though considering SSD's weren't as widespread back when these older games were released, I'd go with the CPU.

Temporarily lower your resolution to like 720p (which removes a lot of GPU, especially GPU bandwidth) and see if it still stutters. If so, probably CPU.

11. Spartan

Spartan Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 PCS+
    If he has that fx 4100 (with ddr4 ram sticks lol), he won't see less fps drops in gta v with ssd, and probably nor in other games.

12. Vipu2

Vipu2 Master Guru

GPU:
    1070ti
    But having SSD makes whole pc faster in everything more than any other part.

13. hamza1434

hamza1434 New Member

GPU:
    R9 280 3gb
    if i were to purchase an i5 4690k for £100 would it be any better than an fx 4100 as i bought the fx cpu for £81. Suprisingly iv seemed to fix the stutter issue by playing with a mouse and keyboard instead of the controller (pretty weird). But there still is an occasional stutter, this may be due to my cpu.

Say if i upgrade to an i5 4690k how long would that cpu last me with gaming

14. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    Easily 5 years or so

FX4100 is pale in comparison to it.