Stuttering and input lag on my PC.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by kelzthetraxer, Nov 15, 2020.

1. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3060Ti GamingZ Trio
    the 4790k from my old rig suffered with ram over 1600mhz so thats why it seems slowed down

for 4790k i would go ddr3 1600 cl9

kelzthetraxer likes this.
  2. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3060Ti GamingZ Trio
    Also that psu is likely hitting its limits too only being 530w however dont quote me on that

3. kelzthetraxer

kelzthetraxer Member

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 8GB
    Could you explain more deeply? How did it suffer? I'm reading numerous articles right now and in each one increased RAM frequencies (even 2500mhz) gave a pretty good FPS boosts. Is more FPS nothing in this case? I'd take some lower input lag with lower FPS personally, so I want to be sure.

Passus likes this.
  4. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3060Ti GamingZ Trio
    the less your fps jump around is the best way imo

playing bf5 but with fps going say 80-60-80-70-65- ect ect

you should just find the highest fps you can keep steady

i cant really expalin how it suffered just that, when you know something is off kind of issue

5. kelzthetraxer

kelzthetraxer Member

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 8GB
    Okay I'm testing it and now smoothness is back to how it should be with 2400mhz, but input lag is indeed higher. Do you think tightening timings would help with this or I should still consider lowering speeds? The thing is, my PC is noticeably faster with higher mhz speeds so I'm a bit lost right now.

Passus likes this.
  6. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3060Ti GamingZ Trio
    timings always help mate yeah, what are they running at now?

and what speed and voltage is the cpu at?

7. kelzthetraxer

kelzthetraxer Member

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 8GB
    CPU now overclocked to 4.5ghz with Vcore set to 1.190. I didn’t do extensive tests but it seems to be running long sessions of BF4 and AC Odyssey just fine. RAM is on 2400mhz 10-12-12-31. Right now I changed Command Rate to 1n from 2n and set DRAM to Performance Mode in BIOS. Testing it now with Memtest86+. Really want to squeeze the most from my PC at this point and I’m all into it right now lol.

EDIT: I tried different timings on 2400mhz but they seemed to be unstable (random stutters and slowdowns), so I’m not sure what to do with them here.

Passus likes this.
  8. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3060Ti GamingZ Trio
    first off that vcore is very low, have you actually stressed the system with a program like prime 95 or aida64?

the timings are great ,, try 11-10-10-31

if the timings cause significant problems then its probably the mobo limitaions somewhere so just leave them stock

9. kelzthetraxer

kelzthetraxer Member

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 8GB
    Yeah I agree Vcore is pretty low. I stressed the CPU with Intel XTE program for about 7 minutes (I have a limited time, I can’t do long stress tests but I’m trying to get one). In these 7 minutes it ran good, then I played some games and they also ran good. Do you think aida would be a better test than Intel XTE? Thanks.

Passus likes this.
  10. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3060Ti GamingZ Trio
    well if it stayed alive and didnt crash then id say your ok,, no game or program is gonna run the cpu as much as XTE does in seven minutes over hours of games

11. kelzthetraxer

kelzthetraxer Member

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 8GB
    Okay. Regarding RAM timings, yeah, it may be my mobo or maybe I just need to increase the voltage which I’m not really willing to do, so I might settle on the settings I just set. I may try your timings too, I haven’t thought about such timings so they seem interesting. Thank you very much.

Passus likes this.
  12. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3060Ti GamingZ Trio
    Pleasure mate it is what this community does

13. kelzthetraxer

kelzthetraxer Member

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 8GB
    As an update, I want to report something. Yesterday my tinkering with RAM didn’t go well, games were crashing without an error, so I decided to roll everything back, but couldn’t settle, so then I downclocked my RAM to 2200mhz, which also changed the command rate to 1t itself so at least there was already something good about it, but here’s the most interesting part: input lag that I was talking about in games which worsened the more I play is 98% fixed! And games are SMOOOTH as hell now, which is insane as I already had a very smooth gaming, I can’t believe how many stages of “smoothness” one can have, starting from things like locking FPS, enabling “enhanced sync” (really makes the game smoother) and ending with just RAM speeds. Even my brother who is not even close to being tech savvy immediately asked me if he got unused, is imagining things or his games indeed became smoother. I didn’t say a word, he noticed it himself.

So, it seems like all these years my problem was RAM. My PC flies with 2400mhz, but that floaty mouse feel I was having in games (still have it veerry slightly but now I actually don’t care about it as it’s very small) was driving me bizarre, I lost all the gaming interest I had. But now I am like bring on every game! I am into games again, FINALLY. I can enjoy them again.

Lets see how it goes from now on. I may try 2133mhz to see if I can get zero input lag, but in the end, my games are so much more playable right now that it may be enough for a long run, I am tired of all this tinkering. Unfortunately, stutters that I have in browsers are still there (I think, haven’t tested enough), but at least one problem is fixed so I’m already happy enough. And thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread, I appreciate you guys.

If I’ll find something new, I will keep this post updated.

Passus and mbk1969 like this.
  14. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    I can only see that being possible on a system with ECC enabled memory.

15. kelzthetraxer

kelzthetraxer Member

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 8GB
    It’s those: https://www.gskill.com/specification/165/173/1532068177/F3-2400C10D-8GTX-Specification
    It says non-ecc. The problem I have is weird indeed, I couldn’t even imagine RAM being at fault for such behavior, but turns out it can.

Btw, my stutters are also 98% fixed. They are so subtle now that I can live with them. My brother has been playing AC Odyssey for the whole day now and my PC still feels like freshly booted, no stutters, still speedy. With 2400mhz, it would slow down, stutters would appear and everything would look like slow motion. I don’t know, maybe it’s my motherboard? Or really my PSU not being able to handle all that? I wish I could find an answer.