Stuttering active window

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Catalyst Drivers Section' started by cryss1922, May 1, 2017.

1. cryss1922

cryss1922 New Member

GPU:
    ASUS rx 580 8GB
    Hello,

Few days ago I bought the ASUS Radeon RX 580 graphics card. Of course, I first completely uninstalled the old drivers using the AMD utility, then downloaded and installed new ones, but I started to notice some difficulties. When watching a fullscreen series (via Plex, BSPlayer, VLC, etc.)
    (I only notice in the fullscreen, if the window is smaller, the video is running smoothly), the playback is abnormally lagging, but only when the window is active, ie when I click on the desktop on the second monitor or another application, lagging stops. I registered the same problem while playing the League of Legends in the borderless window or in The Walking Dead: The New Frontier (I do not know if this is relevant information, I'd rather mention it). Temperatures are OK (CPU ~ 45 °, GPU ~ 55 °).

It is important to note that this lagging is happening only on the main monitor, when I move the video on the secondary monitor, everything is fine. I wondered if problem isnt in cables. I disconnected the secondary monitor (BenQ G2420HDBL, 60hz), the main monitor (AOC G2770PF, 144hz, FreeSync) is connected by DisplayPort and since I do not have a second DP cable (or DVI) at home, I tried to connect it via HDMI- I didnt notice any lagging. Previous GPU R9 290x was connected by the same DP cable and this problem did not occur.

I would mention that I remowed all OC software, the system is updated and I tried all available drivers for rx 580.

So I think either I have damaged DisplayPort cable or I was lucky for a faulty piece of GPU.

CPU: i7 4790k
    GPU: ASUS Radeon RX 580 ROG-STRIX-RX580-O8G-GAMING
    PSU: Fortron 750 W
    RAM: 16 GB DDR3

Here is a video for demonstration:
    //youtu. be/O8vNlVZNwpc

Thank you in advance.

2. A2Razor

A2Razor Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS R9 Fury X
    Sounds like a FreeSync specific issue to me, especially that it only occurs in fullscreen modes (borderless or true full) on the active (foreground) window. I noticed that the framerate picked up the second that you alt-tabbed at the end of said video, the second that the game dropped out of foreground.

Also notice that you've tested with an HDMI cable, possible that you can re-run that test disabling Freesync via the Crimson CP on DisplayPort? Probably not the cable so much as FreeSync being active, given FreeSync doesn't function over HDMI.

--Since I only see removal from the AMD utility listed, have you also tried DDU already?

EDIT:
    I've personally seen something very similar to this whenever swapping back and forth between my Fury-X and 7950 in testing sessions. (with testing ClockBlocker) DDU has always cleared it up. Removing all installed monitors via CRU and rebooting also generally cleared it up.

-For the sake of testing, you might also want to try a trial run with only the AOC active on DP (no secondary display). I've heard of alot of problems on dual monitor setups with FreeSync active, and so it wouldn't surprise me if that's also at play here.

While it obviously doesn't help you if the problem only happens with two displays (expecting you want to use both at the same time), it may at least narrow down if the card is able to drive the monitor properly and or if the cable and FreeSync are even working with your software setup.

Last edited: May 1, 2017
  3. cryss1922

cryss1922 New Member

GPU:
    ASUS rx 580 8GB
    FreeSync was one of the first things I turned off. In fact, on rx 580 (or 17.4.* drivers) FreeSync either doesn’t work or flickers. And yes, when is window on the background (in this case League of Legends) I have stable 16 fps, which is ok for background window.

Today I uninstalled drivers using DDU in safe mode, it didn’t help.

I tried test with ClockBlock. I think problem isn’t in GPU Clock but in GPU Usage which is very unstable and ending up with problems.

Also, I disconnected secondary monitor and tried run only with AOC connected with DP - stuttering continued.

//In LoL I noticed that game doesn’t lagging so much when I turn on Vertical Sync, but game still isn’t smooth enough.

4. A2Razor

A2Razor Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS R9 Fury X
    -Yep, I'd doubt that this is a clock control problem this time. FreeSync stuttering as a result of power-management is generally much higher FPS than that (where the card will still pull 60 fps in a game yet frametime consistency winds up just atrocious). Your situation looks like the card or drivers are pumping out frames with almost a full second pause between bursts.

-Shame, I expected those might've made a difference.

-This part is interesting. Do you happen to have any frame limiter active outside the game, such as RTSS' built in?

I'm not an LoL player (never touched the game personally), but I'm assuming you mean the game lowers its framerate when not in the foreground. Since it still only happens in fullscreen, I'm still keen on that this is somehow tied to freesync, even though you've apparently disabled it in the driver CP.

--If you look at your monitor's status (signal status or display-mode), does it state that FreeSync is active after FreeSync is unchecked? If it does, then I'm betting that FreeSync is still on, both in display driving and frame sync driving. (which would certainly be a driver-bug, if that's what's happening)

Another idea comes to mind here of how we might test. We could "force" the display and drivers out of FreeSync, even if the driver CP's setting is for whatever reason being ignored.

-Get a copy of and install Entech Taiwan's Monitor Asset Manager:
    -Run it with administrative rights (will be required on Windows 10).

Take note of the detailed modeline section for your panel, such as:
    -Get a copy of CRU (as mentioned in the last reply, you may already have it).
    -Use CRU to add a new resolution for your display's native res (this is where those modelines will come in handy), and remove all other refresh-rate entries for this one. (eg, where only 144hz can be selected at native)
    -Select not to include the display's extension block.
    -Delete all other duplicate entries for the AOC, if they exist.
    -Accept the settings, and reboot.

Assuming that worked, the machine should come back up locked at the max refresh.. Importantly with FreeSync forced off, since the monitor's profile no longer supports it.

EDIT: If you get a blackscreen, you'll need to boot in safemode and tweak further in CRU.

I'll keep brainstorming on this one, but hopefully that narrows things down a bit if we can bring up the display with FreeSync off.

Last edited: May 1, 2017

5. KyleStilkey

KyleStilkey Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 580 Nitro+
    This is a very similar issue I have been reporting since 4.2 drivers. 4.1 and back to not have this issue. Now being I have a 580 now I'm stuck with this mix feeling of the card due to this issue.

Freesync has already been tested with it being off and even testing in on my old 8350 system with a single monitor no freesync monitor it still happens. I've already tested the steps above and nothing has changed as I can replicate this issue between on 3 monitors and even single monitor setups.

I can record a video if need to give you an idea of the issue, it seems to be having some sort of rendering issue as making screens smaller, it seems to be gone, as soon as you maximize them, minimize them, Alt-Tab or even move the windows around it becomes a mess. It even causes the mouse the lag and fall behind.

6. CoffeeCartCarl

CoffeeCartCarl New Member

GPU:
    Asus RX580 8GB