Stutter in Battlefield 3 with MSI Afterburner open

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Overclock Application Discussion' started by MrEWhite, Nov 1, 2017.

1. MrEWhite

MrEWhite New Member

GPU:
    GTX 670 Reference 2GB
    When playing BF3, if I have MSI Afterburner open, I get stuttering every 2-3 second. This doesn't occur in BF4 and 1, which is a bit puzzling to me.

Could anyone help me out? Closing RTSS doesn't fix this issue, only closing Afterburner does. Turning off the Origin Overlay didn't fix it. A clean boot (minus MSI AB of course) also doesn't fix it

My specs are as follows:

EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Hybrid
    i7 7700k @ 5 GHz w/ 1.33v
    Seagate Barracuda 3TB 7200RPM
    Samsung 960 EVO 512GB NVMe M.2
    Asus Maximus VI Code
    16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB @ 3600 MHz
    EVGA Supernova 1000 P2

Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
  2. MrEWhite

MrEWhite New Member

GPU:
    GTX 670 Reference 2GB
    I fixed it, it was an issue with the latest Nvidia driver. Downgrading one version worked.

3. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 GRP
    Gsync monitor?

4. MrEWhite

MrEWhite New Member

GPU:
    GTX 670 Reference 2GB
    Yeah, but disabling it didn't fix a thing.

5. Kyle92

Kyle92 New Member

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    I have the same problem with Wolfenstein 2. The image, with afterburner and riva on (4.4.0 and 7.0 version) , is not smooth and a little bit stutter-like. If i close afterburner the image returns smooth as usual! Is uninstalling nvidia driver the solution?

ps: monitor 144hz no Gsync

6. Coonce

Coonce Member

GPU:
    GTX980
    Try turning off the GPU power under monitoring, it made my stutter in battlefield 1 go away.

7. Kyle92

Kyle92 New Member

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    That does the trick! There is a problem with the power monitoring that causes microstutter. I disabled it on monitoring and in the osd and now is fine. Thanks!

8. megazz

megazz New Member

GPU:
    1080 Ti
    That's it! I can confirm that disabling the power monitoring fixes the micro stuttering.

[​IMG]

9. CaptaPraelium

CaptaPraelium Member

GPU:
    Frametime graph with power monitoring on:
    _____|_____|_____|_____|_____|____

Frametime graph with power monitoring off:

I discovered this myself (the new multi-line selection made the process of elimination much easier thanks unwinder!) and came here to report it. At least I'm not alone.
    There's also this thread over here: https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/micro-stuttering-after-creators-fall-update.417746/#post-5489055

I seem to remember unwinder saying something about certain circuits using a slower i2s connection to the sensor and making for slower reads but I'm not sure if that applies here and can't find the original post.

10. Unwinder

Unwinder Moderator Staff Member

That's driver's bug and it will be addressed from NV side. Power sensors are normally slower that the rest ones but they are not supposed to be _that_ slow as they currently are in 388.13, current power monitoring implementation in 388.13 doesn't suit for high performance realtime monitoring.

11. CaptaPraelium

CaptaPraelium Member

GPU:
    Thanks for the explanation. We'll wait for a fix from nvidia.

12. Unwinder

It should be fixed with new 388.31 driver. Quote from the release notes:

Personal greetings goes to "fair" ban immune person who tried to troll on this issue in AB development thread and ruined open beta testing in the end. Wonering if such people feel at least a bit shame at least sometimes. :) Guess not, they are too busy wasting life on gaming and ruining the work done by others. Heh.

The1, boogieman and LocoDiceGR like this.
  13. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    That was not a troll post.

A legitimate response regarding your attitude; it can be poor and disrespectful to others.

Yeah we get it, answering 'stupid' questions that have been asked before can be annoying, but that's just what you have to deal with in the tech industry.
    Taking your frustration out on others by insulting them is not the way, that attitude would not last long in the real world where you have to deal with people in person.

The fact that you had to bring back a post from 2 weeks ago just shows everyone complaints regarding your attitude.
    My 2c, try to stay a little more level headed and don't take your frustration out on those people who may be technically challenged regarding AB/RTSS; it would go a long way in keeping those 'trolls' like mike happy.

14. Unwinder

That was a troll post, as well as what you're doing now is 100% trolling. Saying "It is not an application issue, configure your system properly PLEASE" to anyone is not a disrespectful or poor attitude. It is a FORUM, not 24/7 paid support service when you can expect any PEBCAK issue to be solved by techsupport. And quite opposite, coming here and saying "you're paid for it so deal with my problem now" is deadly disrespectful and poor attitude and it kills any wish to continue providing any free services to community. Anyway, seeing what you post I really doubt that you can understand it ;) But at least some other readers can understand why I gave up on dealing with AB forum.

15. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    Not a troll post, period.

Did i quote "it is not an application issue, blah blah" and specifically say that is disrespectful?
    No, clearly that is a general statement about your behavioral issues , you know, in general.

Nor did he say "you're paid for it so deal with my problem now"
    You seem to like to twist people's words for whatever reason.

He said "You get paid to do this app so don't act like your the be all and end al"

Considering "be all and end all" is a general english phrase which has nothing do with "fix my problem".

He simply meant don't act like you're the most important/superior person on the planet.

So like i said, you can act super defensive but when someone points out your behavior, you can tell yourself all you want that they are trolls.
    Learn to take constructive criticism. Pointing out your flaws is not disrespectful.

I know it's not a job, but when you post a support thread, you can expect to have people treat it as such.
    Just because you aren't paid doesn't mean you shouldn't act without compassion.

I don't need to point out the many others who have stated similar things about how you act, because you know these issues are cropping up all the time.

Don't bother responding back, this is purely something you should think about.
    Hopefully you'll actually think about it and take it to heart.

Everyone appreciates your work, acting nicer isn't going to kill you even if their issues are PEBKAC

16. Unwinder

I don't need to ask why many others who have stated similar things about how terribly I act, traditionally have open history of infractions/warning for flaming/trolling in their forum profiles and close to zero useful posts history in AB forum section. Do not bother replying please, that is rhetoric question.