Stutter during gaming on Samsung 960 Pro or other NVMe drives

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Carfax, Aug 21, 2017.

1. qwerty0025

qwerty0025 Guest

GPU:
    1080 gtx (notebook)
    Dude, I have the exact same issue and it's annoying me a lot. And I do not have Logitech software. Do you have any updates on this?

My setup:
    * Obsidian-PC P870KM1-G Laptop (Clevo)
    * Geforce 1080 GTX @ 1933 (notebook)
    * Intel i7 7700k @ 4.7 Ghz
    * 16gb G-Skill Ripjaws 2800 Mhz
    * 512GB SAMSUNG 960 PRO
    * Asus Swift PG248Q 144hz G-sync, Laptop 75 hz g-sync panel
    * Windows 10 Pro . 1703 , build 15063.540

2. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    I installed the Witcher 3 again to see if the removal of the Logictech software would have fixed the problem, and unfortunately, the problem is still there :(

I'm completely convinced it's the game itself. There's no other explanation, because when I play the game from my Samsung 850 pro (on the exact same computer, with the same settings), it plays very smooth. On my 960 pro on the other hand, it's a stuttering mess, especially in Novigrad. I think the algorithms that control resource loading and caching for the game just seem to be incompatible with the NVMe protocol, which wants to load bigger chunks of information compared to SATA. I've always said the Red Engine 3 is a crap engine. It's more of a crossgen engine in terms of its behavior, despite the fact that the Witcher 3 is a current gen only game.

This is the only game I have a problem with on my 960 Pro. Everything else plays better, or the same but not worse.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
  3. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    The issue has been solved. The source of the problem was Windows itself, specifically the Creators spring update! After clean installing Windows 10 Fall update, the issue has been completely fixed, and Witcher 3 plays buttery smooth on my 960 Pro the way it should have from the get go! [​IMG]

Microsoft admitted that in certain games and applications, the Creators Spring update could cause stuttering and lag, though they never specified what caused this to occur.

Well whatever it was, it has been completely and totally fixed with the Creators Fall update. So if your games are stuttering and you can't figure out what the cause is, try updating or clean installing to the latest Windows 10 Creators fall update!

4. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    Agreed. Upgrading from CU to FCU has fixed issues in games related to stuttering or hitching for me as well.

Carfax likes this.

5. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    It's weird though how I never got any stuttering on my 850 Pro with the Creators Spring update. Why did it affect my 960 Pro so much, and only in this game? I guess I'll never know.