Stuff that dont work on Win 7

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by CocainHore, Oct 24, 2009.

1. Teisco

Teisco Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte Auros 1080Ti
    Does Paint Shop Pro 7,,Driver Cleaner,,Track IR 4,, Magic Jack,,AVG,, all work on 7 Home?

Also, 7 Home does have the XP Mode,,,what does that do and do I need it?

2. nonymous666

nonymous666 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Founders
    Windows 7 Home does not have XP Mode. It's only available for Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise, or Ultimate. It's intended to be used by businesses to help them with compatibility of old legacy business applications they may have.

3. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Can I just add that the XP mode apparently doesn't run games either so it limits its uses for Windows 7 Home Premium anyway.

4. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I'm patched up to v1.2.1 and when I tried the 32-bit v1.2 NoDVD executable and removed the DVD from the drive, the game freezes while loading a level when running the 32-bit version and hangs with a black loading screen during the initial load with the 64-bit version. I always keep the original executables by just adding .bak to the end of the filename.

You may be using a different NoDVD executable to me though. I downloaded mine from GameCopyWorld. Or it may be related to the RealLifesis mod I'm running. As I said I *can* play it fine from the disc so it's not a big deal really.

5. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    Yeah hmmm, its probably something with the mod, couldn't tell you though I as currently don't have Crysis installed.

6. Mr_Alexander

Mr_Alexander Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GYGABYTE 3080ti
    Ordered my Windows 7 today.
    Question. Do you know if first FAR CRY works in Windows 7? Not sure if anyone still has this game but it worked in VISTA.

7. Lofti

Lofti Guest

GPU:
    Visiontek 7970 2GB x2
    My son has Win 7 Ultimate 64...

Stalker CS takes forever to load between zones

his steam client crashes from time to time

his Rainbow 6 vegas 2 runs flawlessly

I have Win 7 Ultimate 64...

can't even launch Rainbow 6 Vegas 2

LOTRO crashes and disables Aero

my Stalker CS runs great

I never have a problem with Steam

both systems are very similar and had fresh installs of Win 7 Ultimate 64, 3 weeks ago..

8. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    0 problems w/ Steam, I have it running whenever my system is on. Rainbow Six Vegas 2 has been working since beta of Windows 7, no problems here. It could be system/driver issues.

For me, only the OCZ Alchemy keyboard drivers aren't Windows 7 capable and the Samsung ML-1640 drivers are faulty, can't print over network.

deltatux

9. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    99% of all the software and drivers i have worked with my copy of W7 Professional quite flawlessly.

stuff that don't work?

i had a problem with my codecs (ffdshow) not being used, turned out it was WMP12 plus it was also hijacking my video files, i've always hated WMP ever since version 7 and later verison, rarely used wmp in XP, a couple of clicks later and i found out that it's possible to uninstall it completely, so i did along with Internet Explorer 8, a reboot later Zoom Player and ffdshow worked. hallelujah! :D

Intervideo WinDVR 3.0 would crash on startup (a software to capture satellite video to pc), i set it to Compatibility XP SP3 and run as administrator, works about 80% of the time but occasionally crashes when i click record, all i have to do is launch the app again, i can live with that.

other than this i'm not having any other problem at all, W7 ftw. :p

10. Mr_Alexander

GPU:
    GYGABYTE 3080ti
    Gentlmen (opps Ladies also) I need your help or advice.
    My windows 7 so far so good but I have couple miner problems.
    1. I think after installing driver for sound card everytime I reboot I get this message on the screen:

The publisher could not be verified. Are you sure you want to run this software?
    Name C:\\Windows\system32\Ctxfihlp.exe
    Publisher: Unknown publisher
    Type: Application
    Always ask before opening this file.

Should I just remove checkmark from "Always ask before opening thisfile" or I should do something else?

2. I can shut down windows normally from the desktop. If I have Steam running on the background and try to shut down computer I get screen with the message "Shutting down" for about 15 to 20 minutes and after it does not get shut down but reboots and I get message "Windows recovered from unexpected shut down". Vista used to close all programs no matter what whas open and shut down but Windows 7 does not do it.
    If you know how to fix it please share.

11. Decane

Decane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    Set SSAO to Medium or Low. Use Float32 / Sky Reclamation Project to get better image quality.

12. Teisco

Teisco Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte Auros 1080Ti
    Found out something amazing today about 7. My apple wireless keyboard installed instantly with 7 finding it and linking it easily. I have had more problems getting this to work in xp.

If you look up apple wireless keyboard and windows on google you will see all the things guys go through to get this apple product to work with windows and then it just comes down to black magic. For some reason win 7 nailed it.

Of course it is not designed for or compatible with windows but it's small size and light weight make it the best wireless keyboard for couch surfing ever.

13. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    Usually works for me this way.
    This must be specific to your software configuration as I can not reproduce this problem when I have Steam running and try to shut down my PC.

Even if you have that problem - why don't you just close/exit Steam before shutting Windows 7 down, then?

14. Mr_Alexander

GPU:
    GYGABYTE 3080ti
    I usually close the Steam and after shut down but unfortunatly the icon that shows steam is running is hidden and I forgot abot it. So I click to shut down and have to wait 20 minutes untill it restarts.

15. Leafblower

Leafblower Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 760 SLI
    Alcohol 120%, Which worked on Vista
    But 52% work though

I went through a lo to get iTunes, hopefully it'll work

A bit of problems with Wolfteam and Crossfire.

I'll probably go back to Vista, it looks nicer, and is stable not like this garbage OS.

16. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    works 100% for me, simply install the game, patch it with the latest patch, play.

if it worked in vista, it had to work in W7.

if you have any issue (for any reason) make sure the exe is set to Administrator and try Vista compatibility, but i don't think you'll need any of this, i know i didn't.