Stuff that dont work on Win 7

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by CocainHore, Oct 24, 2009.

1. CocainHore

CocainHore Master Guru

GPU:
    4850 \ waiting for Fermi
    some updates :

- Jericho works flawless on compatibility mode only , if i dont use comp mode as Vista or Xp it crashes.

- using the internet \ downloading and playing online games somehow feels better and smoother for me than Win Xp in the past.

- so far every game i installed worked fine, Steam is also working perfect.

2. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Further to my earlier post about sleep mode not working properly with Windows 7... well it's working fine now! I believe I fixed it by disabling the Nvvsvc (NVIDIA Display Driver Service) service, which was giving me an error message in the event log but only at startup and shutdown. However, it was not causing any crashes or other issues, just recording this error message twice per PC session.

If anyone else is having problems with sleep mode not waking up under Windows 7 and they're using NVIDIA display drivers then try disabling the Nvvsvc.exe service and see if that fixes it for you.

3. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Oh and according to Acronis, True Image 2009 doesn't work under Windows 7 although I've been able to backup my system partition fine anyway via the weekly schedule. I haven't actually tried restoring such a backup though so that may be where the incompatibility lies.

Their solution to this problem...? Buy the latest version, True Image 2010. Gee thanks, that's just what I wanted to do after having bought the 2009 version less than a year ago!

4. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080TI
    i found something that is not working properly..damn!

The LOGITEC G15 Keyboard ADDON for Team Speak software. it freezes after a time..not working i mean...shame. i use it very frequently

5. maddy2012

maddy2012 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980 Ti
    cant get either of my wireless adapters to work, tried and edimax and a belkin.

I've tried the drivers supplied, downloaded the latest, tried using the troubleshoot compatibility thing, nowt, the belkin installs but when i try to connect it just fails, then when i shutdown it hangs until i remove the card.

Don't know if it's cos i'm on 64bit or what but atm i might go back to xp for now.

6. Decane

Decane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    Office 2003 automatic updating -- the built-in updating system in Windows 7 is only for Windows 7 and perhaps Office 2007, it seems. That means you need to download Office 2003 SP3 and install it manually, and then check which security updates have come out after SP3 and install those manually, too. And some of them won't install at all...

I think I'm going to buy Office 2010 if it comes out at a student discount price at some point... :(

7. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    Thanks for mentioning this, Decane. I completely forgot about updating Office 2003. :D

The missing Windows Automatic Updating support for it sucks, btw. :realmad:

8. lambchop

lambchop Member Guru

GPU:
    None
    Crysis did not work for me either in win 7 64bit... came up crysis has stopped working before it even came to the intro movies. Works fine in 32bit. Gothic 2 doesn't work either...some more games but i can't remember. Im sticking with 32bit right now as i have less problems with it.

9. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    Here's my fix:

If that doesn't work your issue may be somewhere else, as after I did that both Crysis 32-bit and 64-bit launch and play without any issues, tested on multiple Windows 7 installations as well.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2009
  10. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 6800
    Shift doesnt work on Windows 7 ? I dont know what are you smoking but you should stop :p

It works just fine , as Crysis does.

11. dshramek

dshramek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1070
    Shift works fine for me too.

12. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    @kapu - Both SHIFT and Crysis are working for me now with Windows 7 as I said earlier.

SHIFT required me to put the PhysXLoader.dll and NxCooking.dll files from X-Men Origins: Wolverine in the SHIFT game folder where the game executable is in order to stop it crashing when starting a race, something it also did under Vista too. Obviously I have some kind of PhysX related issue and this was my workaround. The game now runs flawlessly.

Crysis won't work if I use the NoDVD hack but it runs perfectly fine off the DVD, both the 32-bit and 64-bit DX10 versions. I haven't tried the DX9 ones but I've no reason to think they wouldn't work either. Sucks that I have to use the disc but at least I can now play the game again.

13. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    Hmmm, thats weird because it works fine me with a NoDVD file. Are you updating your game to 1.2 or 1.2.1? If so install the 1.2 patch backup your exe file, and install the 1.2 NoDVDs, then install the 1.2.1 patch as it doesn't modify the 64-bit exe, but you will have to download a 32-bit 1.2.1 NoDVD, as that is the only exe to get modified.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2009
  14. Decane

Decane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
  15. dshramek

dshramek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1070
    Really? Office 2003 updated for me on my netbook & desktop. Windows update downloaded & installed sp3 for it, plus all the additional updates.

16. Decane

Decane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    Are you sure that it worked straight away from the Control Panel, without first going to the Microsoft Update website? Do you have automatic updates enabled? Or do you have yours disabled? Because I have mine disabled; perhaps that had something to do with having to download Microsoft Update (note: NOT 'Windows' Update) separately.

17. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080TI
    Nero Burning rom works good.
    Imgburn works good.
    K-Lite Codec Pack works good. Media Player Classic works good too
    CompuPic works good.
    Creative Alchemy works good.

18. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    Thanks a lot, Decane! :thumbup:

It's working 100% now, although I didn't have to start that service. I just went to the update link and then ran Windows Update.

Although I already had the Office 2003 SP3 installed it found 23 updates, btw. :eek:

19. Decane

Decane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    Sounds about right, assuming you have the 2007 compatibility pack installed. If not, you have 5 updates more than me. :p Where it says "Microsoft Office Small Business Edition 2003", I have 18 updates installed in Control Panel. 5 more are located under "Compatibility Pack for Office 2007".

20. mmaturen

mmaturen Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 260 GTX
    Running a clean install of windows 7 64 home premium, and so far so good.

Games I’m running like a charm:

Fallout 3 and all the DLC.
    Dragon Age: Origins.
    Borderlands.
    Batman.
    Red Faction Guerrilla.

The only issue I have so far, (And this was an issue on my Vista ultimate &4 install as well) is that there is not a fast option (right click, scan drive or folder) to scan anything using antivirus Software (Symantec End Point protection. so I have to custom scan everything i need scanned (pen drives are a bitch...)

but other than that I’m loving this OS.