Stuck on double buffer Vsync

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by BuildeR2, Aug 7, 2018.

1. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    Hey guys, I'd love some help with this one as I'm pulling my hair out at this point. Basically, without anything changing I'm now stuck with double buffer Vsync in every game. Even the games that have a native triple buffer implementation that were working fine and dandy just a week ago. I haven't changed, installed, updated or reconfigured *anything* yet I'm getting the terrible 60->30->60->30 drops like crazy.

Do any of you know of any particular Windows setting (I'm on a few week old install of 1709) that would do this? I've had all of the Xbox and Game mode/bar/DVR crap disabled from the get go. Not sure what else to say, so here is a list of things I've tried over the past few days.

-Game Vsync on, driver Vsync off
    -Game Vsync off, driver Vsync on
    -Full screen optimization on/off
    -2 different HDMI cables, 2 different DVI cables
    -5 driver sets, just to make sure it wasn't a driver issue (385.69, 387.92, 388.31, 391.35, 398.36)
    -Playing games in fullscreen, FSE, windowed, borderless window.
    -RTSS capping to just under actual framerate, which sadly cuts it right to 30 FPS
    -RTSS/MSIAB on or completely off
    -many others that I can't remember right now

I'm stumped right now, since all of these games (GTAV, Civ VI, Dying Light, Divinity 1&2, Shadow of War, Fallout 4, PCARS2, Endless Legend, Grim Dawn, Trine 3, Witcher 3, Wildlands, Trials Fusion and many more) worked just fine about a week ago with Vsync on and only infrequent minor dips to 58 or 59 FPS as opposed to the insanely jarring and game killing 60->30->60->30 crap they all do now.

Could it have been a Windows update, even though I have all of those things disabled? Is there a DWM related buffer that could have been triggered by launching a specific app? I'm pulling at straws and out of ideas, which is super frustrating since it was just working. Any ideas and things to try are welcome.

2. droopy_ro

droopy_ro Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 Ti MSI
    Get a 144Hz monitor, then you will not need vsync. Meanwhile, did you use DDU from safe mode to clean the drivers ? did you try adaptive or Fast sync ? what about the power options both in Windows and drivers, are they set to performance ?

3. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    getting a 144hz monitor isnt gona get rid of the need for vsync. as the screen will still tear if vsync is off, will the tearing be less notice able with it off? that highly depend on who you ask

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
  4. droopy_ro

droopy_ro Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 Ti MSI
    I had terrible image tearing in games like Dirt Rally on my Dell U2713HM i had, now with the Asus MG279Q in the same game, same resolution, same settings, pooof! the tearing is gone in all the games i played since 2016.

5. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    your one of those people that just cant see it now 144hz just like 120hz "can" hide tearing especially if your able to feed 100+ fps, cause there are more frames in second which will hide it. it still there I have seen and used 120/144hz monitors that friends had that swear they have no tearing with vsync off (fullscreen exlusive mode) I then had them show me and I instantly saw the tearing that they did not, I wish I had there eyes or mind that that can ignore these things like they arnt happening, same for people that think there is no vsync used when windowed/fullscreen windows (mode) is used, all windowed/fullscreen windowed (modes) have forum of vsync it just not limited to monitors hz. or didnt even know that windowed mode has it own version of vsync and swore it was off cause there was no tearing even though they was using

Anywho, to BuildeR2 was this clean install of 1709? or stand in upgrade? if stand in upgrade was it happening before? if not try a clean install? though I would tried to use DDU first reinstalled drivers before this.

I by default I force Vysnc ( this only effect fullscreen exclusive) on in NV CP and triple buffer ( even though it don't effect DX last I checked, it just habit) and never had issue with double buffering happening, less it was the game it self forcing the change.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
  6. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    Yes for DDU from safe mode several times. Adaptive seems to work alright, I'd prefer Vsync just to work like it did a week ago but I might have to get used to Adaptive Sync. Fast Sync is much too stuttery in modern games, but works alright for some older games. Power options have been anywhere from balanced to maxed out and it doesn't seem to make a difference. Oddly enough, turning *ON* all of the gamebar/broadcast/DVR stuff at least gives me some sort of middle ground 2.5 buffer Vsync so that games don't do the massive 60->30 drops, but just has small stutters from 60->45->60 kind of thing. I'm not done testing, but don't have a ton of time right now.

Yeah, I'd love to get a G-sync monitor (or TV) but it is too expensive right now. I'm the kind of person who sees tearing even at high framerates. Thanks to a couple friends, I've been able to try out 75Hz, 100Hz and 144Hz monitors but I still see tearing.

Yes, it was a clean install of 1709 just about 2 weeks ago. I have used the most recent version of DDU several times in the last week, in safe mode to give the best clean. I'll keep trying stuff and report back. I just wish I could use 1803 or RS5 because Vsync was properly triple buffered in all my games, but none of my LAN stuff works in any version beyond 1709.

7. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I still using 1703 here, I refuse to do these every 6 month "upgrades" that are basically reinstall of the OS that tend to cause more issue then Clean install will do, even then I had Clean installs that had issue right off the bat, I have reinstalled and clean installed Win 10 more times then I have done rebuilds of my systems (3 +) and clean wipes cause I couldnt fix things of window 95,XP and 7 combined those combined numbers less then dozen, with windows 10 I stopped counting after I hit the dozen mark. in less then 2 years, cause of the inplace upgrades

8. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    Yeah, I'm using Adaptive Vsync for now. It is a tiny bit jarring when the Vsync disengages and some tearing appears, but it is MUCH better than the chugging and hitching of my broken normal Vsync.

9. droopy_ro

droopy_ro Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 Ti MSI
    Then i have a magical monitor at 60 Hz the tearing is visible and at 120/144Hz it is not :shrug:
    Same PC, same game, same settings no vsync of any kind.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
  10. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    Adaptive Vsync by itself is not tearing, I just mean when the game has a hitch or some framedrops the "Adaptive" part kicks in and disengages Vsync for a moment. If I use any ingame framecap or RTSS I get a constant tear about 2/3 of the way down the screen, so I have to use Adaptive Vsync without framecaps for it to work.
    Indeed, same eyes as well. ;) It's not that I don't believe you, just that we have different eyes.

Organik likes this.

11. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    It's not magic :p

When you double the refresh rate, what used to be 2 tear lines becomes only 1. When you double the refresh rate, you halve the amount of tear lines.

You also halve the amount of time each tear line stays visible at its spot. In other words, they jump around the screen twice as fast.

(All this assumes your frame rate being the same as before.)

Whether or not you notice this "faster" tearing or not depends on each person. However, I suggest that you DO NOT GO AND LOOK FOR IT. Seriously :p It's one of those things where once you see it, you cannot unsee it. So let it be, and be happy.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
  12. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    Yep, I can still remember the day I started noticing things like tearing and framerate drops. I was 8 or 9 and playing a new game my older brother had just bought. I didn't know the technical terms or what was going on, I just knew it was interfering with my enjoyment of the game.

13. droopy_ro

droopy_ro Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 Ti MSI
    I went looking for it last night in GR Wildlands :) 60 Hz bleah, tearing, at 144Hz it is gone, the framerate is 50-70 fps depending on the scene, resolution 1440p, High in game settings, vsync off. Asus MG279Q is the monitor, GTX 980Ti the card.

I tested with Freesync a while ago, but with a weaker RX560 card, it seemed to be the same effect as 144Hz and Nvidia. The monitor has a limited 30-90Hz Freesync range though.

14. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    At 70FPS on 144Hz, you get 1 tear every other frame (1 tear-free frame, followed by 1 tear.)

If you don't get any tears, you either have a sync method enabled, or you're not playing in exclusive fullscreen mode.