Stuck in an off and off loop

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by blitz72, Mar 18, 2021.

1. blitz72

blitz72 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Hey all. I know this could be a lot of things but my friends kid got a new case for his computer and he did the swap out of the components. From what I can tell he's got everything hooked back up right. When he goes to turn it on it stays on for like 20 seconds and then shuts off and then turns back on again. Just keeps doing that. We've checked all the connectors and everything is right and in the right spots. We checked thermal paste and it's all good. Pulled video card out and tried to boot, same thing. Pulled memory and even moved them around to different slots. Reset CMOS.... I don't get any post beeps from the speaker. Anything I can try that I haven't thought of b4 replacing MB/CPU? Strange as no hardware has changed just case. System has a AsRock x370 Pro4 MB, 16gb of 32000 memory(2x8gb sticks), XfX 580 GPU, Ryzen 1800X(not oc'd) one mechanical drive, one sata ssd, and 1tb M.2 ssd. Just figured I'd ask b4 i really dig into it. Thanks

---Doug

2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    memory training is failing, it should boot eventually but you'll want to manually set the ram to 2933 or lower,

if it doesn't, im afraid you'll have to sap the ram with 3000 or lower.

hold up, on second reading, pull the motherboard out and make sure there aren't any standoffs without a corresponding hole in the motherboard, and make sure the ram is put in the paired slots furthest from the cpu.

3. blitz72

blitz72 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Ok will give that a shot. He's already in bed so I'll try out tomorrow and see what happens. Thank you for your response. Much appreciated.

4. Ji1986

Ji1986 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    just double check the cpu power connected is in the motherboard as well

5. OldManRiver

OldManRiver Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia
    Make sure you have the case power and reset buttons on the correct terminals on the MB. Also check and make sure on the IO plate that nothing is shorted to connector. USB is a common culprits for a short.

6. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    That does sound like something shorting after it warms up a bit (that 20 second period before it starts).

I'd suggest just redo the entire build from scratch and check every slot and connector while at it. Meaning remove every part incl. mobo out from the chassis.
    Could be that standoff thing or a loose screw stuck somewhere in the chassis that makes contact with some part.

Or did you get it sorted already?

7. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    Update mobo bios