"Stub has received bad data" error and other issues with v368.xx drivers

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Darren Hodgson, Jun 18, 2016.

1. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    And what if you play older OpenGL games as well such as RAGE, Wolfenstein: The New Order, Quake 4, etc. not to mention the odd Indie title that still uses OpenGL?

There might not be many games released that use it but having a setting enabled that enables triple buffering is useful to avoid the issues you get typically with double-buffered games (drops from 60 fps to 30 fps and back, etc).

2. Keesberenburg

Keesberenburg Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 TI sc
  3. GanjaStar

GanjaStar Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4G gtx970 1506/8000
    hence i'd rather enable it on a per profile basis, to avoid any potential issues by enabling a feature that won't work in 99% of titles.

even anisotropic filtering is something i'd recommend against setting in the global profile, as there are several titles where it won't work and/or will cause issues.

4. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    You won't unless you are using a 368.xx driver and have MFAA set to On in the NVIDIA Control Panel > Manage 3D Applications > Global Settings.

5. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    I have been using the same global settings for years with no issues and MFAA has always been set globally since it was first fully supported in the driver. In fact, I am sure NVIDIA even recommend that it be enabled this way in one of their GeForce.com articles.

I do not force 16x AF except on a per-game basis.

It's just unfortunate that MFAA affects the 368 drivers this way... or perhaps it is more correct to say fortunate since if it was not for people like myself who change these settings then this bug would never have been picked up on and may have eventually affected the per-game profile settings too... ;)

6. Terepin

Terepin Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 3070 Ti
    What potential issues? That setting only effects OGL games and only with VSync. You're creating problems where non exist.

7. Archer Mac

Archer Mac New Member

GPU:
    GTX970M / 6GB
    Windows 8.1 x64
    Clevo P170SM-A with optimus technology 970M
    Never had a newer driver and never installed GFExperience. Startup applications and services down to the bare minimum for peripheral devices.

Got the stub error once and the stuff that follows, with launching Afterburner (RTSS).
    Had #1, 2, 4 and would probably have #3 if I had known about this thread at the time of the issue which was 2 days after this thread was opened.

MFAA is off by default, settings weren't changed in months and never had the issue before (or after). It's an optimus which means the nvidia gpu is off unless activated by applications, and in this case it was Afterburner which I start up manually before I boot a game when I need monitoring, framerate limits or screenshot capture - nothing is OCd.

After the stub error it started up on the next try but when turning it off it didn't shut down the GPU as it should. Maybe the rtss service was still running, didn't check in the end because I was distracted by a process working hard for some reason at the same time. It turned out to be windows update which was set to check for updates and nothing else but it didn't seem like it was ever gonna finish (granted the whole thing lasted a bit over 10min until I restarted while a normal update check takes 14-15).

After finding this thread I also found #4 as in ~15 windows related services terminate with restart timers as described, which occurred five minutes after starting rtss's service. Everything was fine after a restart, didn't encounter the stub error anymore on any application which engages the nvidia gpu and of course windows's update service isn't running wild on it's own since checks are off and unnecessary since I update manually when I do - and it does work.

The fact all of this came together at the right time all on 365.10 which never saw a newer version shows this driver "branch" is not immune as the thread wants to indicate. It's probably an unusual cocktail of processes rather than "this specific driver + voodoo option #678". Since stub issues might be related to services, rtss does create and start a service at every start and that coupled with Windows Update trying to do something at the time might have triggered this, who knows....

It wouldn't be the first time RTSS is related to various issues for people so it's easy to target it as a likely culprit, but it was already said by scaramonga on page 1 anyway. Heck, Win10+Nvidia+RTSS (mostly in the flavor of EVGA Precission) is the perfect recipe to get the EDID of some Clevo laptop displays like mine overwritten so the screen won't turn on unless rewritten through linux (the main problem is that it's allowed to be overwritten but still the software and drivers have absolutely no reason to do such a thing on their own and mess a machine up!)

Regarding the windows update (from my situation), it's common for it to take "forever" to check/do stuff and it may have been a coincidence. Since I update manually anyway I have turned off the automatic check too now, no need for it to randomly hog a core for 15 minutes to tell me what I already know.

tl;dr
    The point of this post is to show that this unusual chain of events is not really new since 368, or Win10 or desktop cards. As a matter of fact rtss and windows are more likely candidates for messing things up and being on Win10 only makes it harder for the user to have proper control of what it tries to do thanks to it's "we'll do it for you" attitude.

Stub errors seemingly being related to services and windows update being among the ~15 (randomly) terminated clearly shows an indication of why it may look like it's stuck in a loop or if other services throw an error too before they are automatically restarted. The official solution being to lower the number of running services to prevent these shutdowns the OP might want to try to disable some, seeing how many applications with their own services are installed and running....and might want to check if the new driver has some additional service running vs the older one which might be "one too many". And of course if there are applications like RTSS which create a service on each start. Either way, good luck.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2016
  8. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 ROG Strix
    Problem is, I got this even with only the windows services running on a clean install.
    There is something really fishy going on here.

9. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    I'm just glad I'm not the only one. I started a "went back to Windows 7" thread recently because of this stuff. Seems even us smarties are getting this error, and apps and the store breaking. Without tweaking or messing with the OS.

Solutions I've seen have us jumping through hoops, like the amount of start up items, services, and registry items. To be honest, even on Windows 8 I had zero issues. None. I slapped on Classic Shell and it was perfect from start to finish.

I guess I'm just annoyed because I'm impatient. I'm not really an outspoken anti-microsoft anti-windows person. I want to use Windows 10.

10. Minotaur

Minotaur Member Guru

GPU:
    Gainward 1080 GLH
    Guessing all the Win10 users are on version 1511 (10586.420) and have the patches for it from win update installed?
    Just sayin' :stewpid: because I ain't seen this error since updating..

11. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    I am on Windows 10 Pro v1511 Build 10586.446.

Again, I will repeat that myself and likely most people, if not all, will only see this error if they enable MFAA in the Global Settings profile. If you do not change that setting then you can continue to use the v368.xx drivers without any of the issues I reported in my first post. I have not seen any of these issues in a week now since I left the MFAA setting alone at Off.

12. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 ROG Strix
    Well, that sure doesn't work for me. I don't change anything in the driver and I get all kinds of things crashing, start menu doesn't work/crashes when it shows, all kinds of other services crash, stub error comes up (albeit not as often), Windows store update doesn't work, all kinds of connection problems with any of the 368.xx drivers on a clean install of the driver using DDU. I haven't tried a dirty install yet.
    Not sure what causes this in my case. Going back to 365.19 resolves all issues.

Correction: I just did a clean install of the 368.39 Quadro driver with modified .inf and for some reason I have no issues with this one, even though the 368.39 WHQL GeForce drivers (as well as 368.22, 368.25, 368.51) gave me all the non-gaming issues, even without changing anything in the Nvidia control panel, to the global profile or anything etc. including MFAA (even resetting the profile afterwards didn't help). Really odd. I didn't think Quadro drivers would make a differentce, but apparently they do for me for some odd reason and it doesn't appear to be a placebo effect people usually credit to Quadro drivers around here.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2016
  13. GanjaStar

GanjaStar Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4G gtx970 1506/8000
    one last reply on this offtopic, but related to ease of troubleshooting.

there's a reason that nvidia default global profile settings are conservative, same for unwinders RTSS and d3doverrider.

Just because something doesn't work, doesn't mean it doesn't hook/attempts to hook itself into the game. That's why all of the above apps have a conservative global profile, with the most compatible settings, and specific app profiles containing additional changes.

It saves time on troubleshooting issues later and saves time in continually tweaking the global profile depending on the app.

You might never encounter any issues, depending on how many titles you play per year, but it's always easier to just reset one app profile to see if the issues are related to profile changes.

I've personally played many titles over the years where aniso filtering and vsync settings changed in the profile caused game issues. from start up hangs, graphical corruption, random stutters.

Just look how much time it took to find the cause here. all because of a global profile tweak.

14. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Sorry but it reads like you are making excuses for NVIDIA's mistakes here.

The fact is that the global settings are intended for applying settings across all games and applications so if NVIDIA break something in a new driver, that previously has been working fine before, then the problem is not that the user decided to apply their own settings!!! ;)

As I wrote earlier, if people like myself had not changed these settings then these issues could have gone unnoticed for months, years even, potentially leading to more serious issues in the per-game profiles.

15. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    I don't know what is happening on your system. Your problem might be caused by something entirely different even if the issues (Windows Store updates not working etc, stub error) are the same. Even when I had all those issues with the v368.xx drivers, I never had crashing Start menu and stuff like that.

I have seen a lot of posts over on the GeForce.com forum from people suffering from issues with nvwgf2umx.dll, mostly crashes and so on, which is one of the files which is connected to these issues. I believe that particular file is the culprit but it seems to affect systems in different ways.

16. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 ROG Strix
    Yeah, my event log shows lots of crashes of that file also when the start menu crashes and such.
    That said, I have a very full Windows 10 start menu as I start everything from there. You said you have everything just dumped on the desktop, I believe, so it might be something with the start menu and the drivers/that file.

I still don't understand why I don't have any issues with the Quadro version of the 368.39 drivers except when MFAA is enabled globally, though, yet with any other 368.xx version including the non-Quadro 368.39 I have all these issues no matter whether MFAA is enabled globally or not. It makes little sense to me, but I've now gone back and forth three times between the regular and quadro versions and I was able to reproduce this issue every time.

17. GanjaStar

GanjaStar Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4G gtx970 1506/8000
    no, I have no affiliation with nvidia. I'm simply sharing my usage pattern that has resulted in years on end of issue free PC usage. That seems to be something many are still trying to achieve. Simple user to user advice on how to minimize issue causing scenarios. only barely related to this specific driver issue, hence I said it's a bit offtopic.

18. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    I also have a very, very full Start menu too, in fact, it has so many shortcuts that most of them did not show in the default Start menu until Microsoft fixed the 512 limit in the v1511 update last year! I have over 200 shortcuts in the Games folder alone!!!

I do use Start10 though in preference to the Windows 10 Start menu but only because it allows for sub-folders which the default one doesn't leading to a messy lists of Readme files for example with no way to tell which is which unless you open them.

19. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 ROG Strix
    Hm, then that isn't it. I'm really at a loss what causes all the problems on my system with the 368.xx non-Quadro drivers. :(

I like sub-folders. By the way, can one make Start10 look like the Windows 10 Start menu just with old school "All Programs" start menu list (with sub-folders) instead of the All Apps thing yet? Or is there something else out there that can do that?

20. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    @ Cave Waverider - Start10 has three main themes, one based on Windows 7 (which is the one I like and use), one based on Windows 10 without the tiles and finally you can set the Windows 10 one. It has variations for each of those including square/rounded edges and with/without profile pic plus it supports background textures (skins). I have mine setup so that hitting the Windows key shows the original Start menu.

Why not try it? I think you can use it for 30 days for free but don't quote me on it.