"Stub has received bad data" error and other issues with v368.xx drivers

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Darren Hodgson, Jun 18, 2016.

1. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 ROG Strix
    Hm, I don't import profiles, although I usually set the base profile manually with Nvidia Inspector (mainly to enable highest quality and 4x SGSSAA by default) and change a handful of game profiles that don't like the base settings I use, so it might have something to do with profiling being broken in these drivers. Then again, I didn't even install Nvidia Inspector when I did the tests with the clean windows installations, although I might have enabled DSR settings in Nvidia Control Panel, as well as Full RGB and changed my PhysX card to the Titan X as I always do.
    However, your effect could also be a placebo one like I had when I installed Afterburner and the problems returned a day later, so keep us posted.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2016
  2. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    A couple of ideas just off the top of my head:

1. Have any of you tried changing / upgrading your network adapter driver?

2. Have any of you tried running a full scan with some proper AV software like Kaspersky or Eset?

3. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 ROG Strix
    1. Yes, although there are no newer drivers for my network card, so I tried some old ones, but it didn't help.
    2. Yes, I did that, also full malware scans and other things. Nothing was found.

I also did a plethora of diagnostics for corrupted OS, disk and such that people on the web usually suggest for bad stub errors, nothing found.

4. Terepin

Terepin Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 3070 Ti
    I have same issue. Furthermore MSI AB and RTSS won't start with system and show error when closing.

5. bishi

bishi Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SLI
    I am experiencing mouse issues:
    Mouse stutters when video devices change (i.e HDMI amp turns on) or intermittently in game (BF4). Does not seem to be linked to any specific 'load' scenario (i.e CPU and GPU not maxed, can't see anything spiking in Process Lasso running on another screen.).

I've reinstalled a fresh copy of 1511 and tested in BF4 again and I get the same issue. Literally nothing installed in windows apart from Origin for BF4.

I don't get the other issues people are reporting here such as:
    Bad Stub
    Chrome issues
    Slow boot
    etc

My system for reference is:
    5960x
    Rampage V Extreme (X99)
    32GB Ram
    980 TI SLI @ +250/+250
    Benq XL2730Z (2560x1440)
    Logitech G502 mouse (tried different USB ports but same issue)
    Asus PCE-AC68 Wireless
    Other unimportant stuff :)

6. DesGaizu

DesGaizu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS 3060TI
    OK less drunk today and I've coffee, lets go!

Firstly lots of really unhelpful people posting here that failed to read past the first post.

My install of windows 10 is very fresh and as I said I have TWO start up programs BOTH are nivdia ones. So no its not a conflict with that.

Now reading about the nividia profiles I have already tried without importing anything BUT

I do enable DSR and MFAA in global settings :eek:

SOOO I set nvidia global options back to default (I used the restore button)

1 hour so far and no stubs, windows update works (found a update too for windows clock) and task scheduler works.

EDIT: its 100% DSR causing the problems I can fully recreate all the problems on and off with my DSR options.

7. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    THANK YOU!!! :D

That explains why I am seeing the error when importing my profile as it has DSR enabled among other things in the Global profile. Obviously, the default profile has it disabled hence why it fixed my issues when I did the clean install earlier. I always reimport my profiles after a driver update then reboot my PC. That is why I have always had the issue because I have never tested without DSR enabled.

My guess is that NVIDIA have not tested that either when trying to reproduce the issue, which begs the question of why they haven't.

So do people who don't have the issue have DSR disabled or is it still something specific to our hardware? I can happily live without DSR for now but I'm wondering just how widespread the problem really is.

*EDIT*
    Damn, jumped the gun a bit on that one. Seems my Global profile does NOT have DSR enabled (it shows as Off) but yet I am still getting the neverending spinning cursor with the Windows Store when checking for updates. Will see if my PC needs a reboot...

First though, I am going through both my custom profiles and the default v368.51 one using Notepad++'s Compare feature, paying attention to profiles for non-gaming applications then editing them back into my profiles. I'm not paying too much attention to the ones for games except deleting many of those Chinese/Korean ones that appear in mine for some reason but not the default profile. I am editing in any lines that appear in the default profile for applications and programs but not in mine as I suspect those may the cause on my system.

Maybe. Lord knows but I usually do a refresh of my profiles from time to time to edit in any updates that NVIDIA make so that I also keep the ones I've been making for AA and AO as well as new games that NVIDIA never bother adding (mostly indie games).

8. DesGaizu

DesGaizu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS 3060TI
    Did you reset the global settings? I did that and now if I put DSR on the problems return instantly off and they all are fixed, it's insane how that could effect stuff like windows update 0_o I don't even need to reset the pc. Also make sure you don't have any custom resolutions.

IMO you should just do a total fresh install of the drivers use DDU to clean any profiles you have imported and see how it goes.

9. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    @ DesGaizu - Yes, I hit the Restore Defaults button but it made no difference.

Does the Windows Store's Check for Update work for you with DSR on or off?

I know I can fix that issue just by importing the default v368.51 profiles which I saved (as a .TXT file) using the GeForce 3D SLI Profile Tool. As soon as I reimport the default profile then the Windows Store works; import mine and it causes the Check for Updates to just keep checking (endless spinning cursor).

There must be some other setting in my profile that is conflicting with the driver.

10. DesGaizu

DesGaizu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS 3060TI
    Updates work when DSR is off and when DSR is on it just spins and only stops when I close it.

11. gwit

gwit New Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 970 (EVGA) 4G
    This is something I have in common: using DSR and other custom profile stuff.

I just did a DDU and clean install of the 368.39 and did not import any profiles nor set DSR and checked windows store--works fine. Nothing else has crashed either yet and no stub errors.

On the one hand if it is DSR and/or other profile stuff causing it: Great, maybe NVIDIA can track it down now.

On the other hand it sucks because DSR gives much better results than any of the AA options which is the main reason I use it--I hate aliasing with a passion. :) And now nvidia has to track it down if they can. Certainly something changed.

As mentioned in the other thread, my PC is primarily a development machine and secondarily a gaming machine. So there was only so much fiddling I wanted to do to it (not doing clean windows installs or anything on this one.) Have to get paid so have to be developing. :) Were this a gaming only machine I would have been doing clean installs, swapping out parts already..

Anyway tinkering with drivers on and off I can do. Also the weird start menu slowdown explorer crash is also gone.

So far so good.

UPDATE: I enabled DSR again and everything is still working. So it may have been something else in my profiles. Usually I would import profiles between installs. But on some of the tests I just did an install (but not resetting profiles with the clean option) and would get the crashes.

So there may be some incompatibility with the old profile settings in general, not something caused by importing them.

Note that DDU uninstall and install of 368.39 using "clean" option resulted in no crashes. Enabling DSR after that works. I can manually reconfigure profiles for games as needed. I don't use SLI so I just use profiles for overriding settings in games that have inadequate graphics options.

I had done DDU and install without clean option and still had problems--was never sure if DDU removed profiles or not since I always imported them when things were normal. In fact last few drivers up to 365.19 I just installed without bothering with DDU. Guess I got complacent. :)

12. GanjaStar

GanjaStar Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4G gtx970 1506/8000
    so the issue was you guys importing ancient driver profiles into new drivers or am I misreading something?

13. DesGaizu

DesGaizu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS 3060TI
    If you count turning DSR on as "importing ancient driver profiles" then yeah sure your reading comprehension is spot on.

14. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1070 GamingX
    If re-install is the only advice you've got, then, don't post.

15. boombastik

boombastik Master Guru

GPU:
    rx580 Pulse 8Gb

16. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    DSR is on here, no issues on any R368 drivers. I don't import anything and always do a clean install. So if that's the culprit you'll have to dig deeper as it's not triggering anything on my machines.

17. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Finally fixed it!

This was my original BaseProfile from my custom profile:

Profile "Base Profile"
    ShowOn All
    ProfileType Global
    Setting ID_0x00198fff = 0x00000001 UserSpecified=true
    Setting ID_0x0019bb68 = 0x00000000 UserSpecified=true
    Setting ID_0x002ecaf2 = 0x00000000 UserSpecified=true
    Setting ID_0x005a375c = 0x96861077 UserSpecified=true
    Setting ID_0x0084cd70 = 0x00000000 UserSpecified=true
    Setting ID_0x0098c1ac = 0x00000001 UserSpecified=true
    Setting ID_0x00a879cf = 0x60925292 UserSpecified=true
    Setting ID_0x00ce2691 = 0xfffffff6 UserSpecified=true
    Setting ID_0x00e73211 = 0x00000000 UserSpecified=true
    Setting ID_0x10111133 = 0x00000000 UserSpecified=true
    Setting ID_0x101ae763 = 0x00000000 UserSpecified=true
    Setting ID_0x1057eb71 = 0x00000005 UserSpecified=true
    Setting ID_0x107d639d = 0x00000002 UserSpecified=true
    Setting ID_0x200aebfc = 0x00000000 UserSpecified=true
    Setting ID_0x20c1221e = 0x00000000 UserSpecified=true
    Setting ID_0x20fdd1f9 = 0x00000001 UserSpecified=true
    Setting ID_0x80303a19 = 0x00000001
    Setting ID_0x80857a28 = 0x00000001
    Setting ID_0x809d5f60 = 0x00000001
    EndProfile

And this is what the default profile is for v368.51:

Profile "Base Profile"
    ShowOn All
    ProfileType Global
    Setting ID_0x80303a19 = 0x00000001
    Setting ID_0x80857a28 = 0x00000001
    Setting ID_0x809d5f60 = 0x00000001
    EndProfile

Obviously, my settings, those with a UserSpecified=true tag, were overriding the defaults when I imported it using the GeForce SLI Tool. As soon as reimported the edited custom file with the bottom BaseProfile then Windows Store's Check for Updates would complete. With the top BaseProfile it doesn't and the cursor just spins endlessly.

I suspect that like DesGaizu that enabling DSR will again trigger the issue (I will try this shortly after a reboot) but at least I should be able to verify what he already knows which will hopefully help NVIDIA fix it. Glad I started this thread now; I can live without DSR for the time being anyway.

18. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    In my case, they were not ancient driver profiles but one that had previously been edited with changes to the 364/365 driver branch. Obviously, that profile worked fine with v365.19 hence why it did not trigger the issue when I reverted back to that version of the driver.

I have just spent an afternoon going through my profile and comparing it with the v368.51 one using Notepad++ to edit in the changes so I now have an up to date profile that includes my tweaks for AA/AO and indie game profiles that NVIDIA will never bother adding. These include corrections for misnamed executables and pathnames and so on.

19. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    OK so I've backed up my custom profile that works fine with the v368.51, i.e. no stub error or Windows Store update issues.

If I change any of the Global Profile settings though then even if I change it back to what it was or use restore defaults then the issue come up again. I can fix it by reimporting the backed up profile and it works straight away without restarting my PC.

Basically, I cannot change the Global profile settings without triggering the issue again. Usually I change the following settings post-driver install (if they are not imported from my custom profile):

MFAA = Off > On
    Multi-display = Multi-display > Single display
    Texture filtering - Quality = Quality > High quality
    Triple Buffering = Off > On
    DSR Factors = Disabled > Enabled (check all the scaling options)

Now if I change any of those, in any combination or singularly, and hit Apply then it triggers the issue even if I reset it back to what it was. :bang:

20. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Just enabled all of those apart from DSR and got no stub error