"Stub has received bad data" error and other issues with v368.xx drivers

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Darren Hodgson, Jun 18, 2016.

1. Fumz

Fumz Member Guru

GPU:
    Evga 1080Ti sc black icx
    Actually, yes. I read exactly what you wrote, which is why I commented in the first place.

Many |= all, or any.

2. Shady757

Shady757 Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX 970/GSYNC

Why would RTSS be a main culprit? Furthermore, you make your self look like even more of an ass than you are by essentially saying "trust me, these programs are bad, I'm not going to tell you why because I don't actually know and I'm just being a total douche".

3. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    I guess you've tried with the stable 4.2.0 AB?

Unwinder has said there is no reason for anyone without a 10xx series to be running that beta

Doesn't look like you've tried a clean Windows install either from the looks of all those startup programs, I know you say people have claimed to have tried it and ended up with the same error again once they reinstalled those drivers, but for troubleshooting, you should always clean install yourself, install only drivers, absolutely nothing else, and test like that

Clean install on another partition/drive if you don't want to mess with this install

You can't troubleshoot a random error like this with an old Windows install and that much software/drivers installed IMO

Last edited: Jun 19, 2016
  4. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Fair point. I apologise for not being clear.

I have tested a v368.xx driver with ALL of the programs disabled once but generally when I try them now I only disable specific programs such as the Stardock ones then re-enable them if they don't cause any issues (I know WindowFX v6.0.2 causes DWM.exe crashes for example despite claiming to support Windows 10 hence why it is disabled). However, this still does not change the fact that all of these programs work fine with the v365.19 and earlier drivers.

Just to be absolutely clear in this thread though, I will do a clean install of the latest v368.51 Hotfix driver now and disable ALL of the non-Microsoft services and apps that I can and see if the issues still occur. It is very easy to replicate the Windows Store one since Check for Updates usually stops working as soon as the v368.xx driver is installed. The stub error is random though and may only occur once a day, sometimes two or three times in an hour.

One other thing which might be worth mentioning is that I use the GeForce 3D SLI Manager Tool to re-import my game profiles after installing a new driver. This is so that my custom AA and AO flags are maintained as well as new profiles plus I've corrected a lot of typos and misnamed or incorrect executables. Previously, I found that the driver overwrites or loses many of my custom settings even when using the custom install which is why I do it this way. I suspect that has nothing to do with my issues though since games are working fine (which is what these are used for) and I am probably one of the few people that does this which does not explain why others are getting the same issues.

5. Extraordinary

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    I wouldn't disable any services, just a completely bog standard clean install, fully update, install all drivers, nothing else, test

6. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 2080 Ti
    I've been experiencing the same issues as Darren with any of the 368.xx drivers I've tested (368.22, 368.25 with modified .inf, 368.39, 368.51, all clean installs either after a fresh OS Install or using Display Driver Uninstaller in safe mode beforehand - note that it happens no matter if I install the drivers with all the Nvidia Backend GeForce Experience, force-enable-gen3.exe to enable PCIe 3.0 support for GeForce Cards on X79 Chipset etc. stuff or without).
    In addition, I've observed the following issues with the 368.xx drivers:
    • Google Chrome 64 bit hangs when I enter settings at any point and exit the program and can't update itself.
    • Google Chrome 64 bit has connection issues in general, often having connection time outs.
    • Google Chrome 64 bit issues happen no matter whether hardware acceleration is enabled or disabled for the browser and with and without any plugins or extensions installed.
    • Speedtest measures bandwith cut in half, double latency and packet loss with 368.xx drivers compared to 365.19 or earlier drivers.
    • The whole system takes ages to boot with 368.xx drivers and is sluggish and slow (you click the start menu and it takes ages to come up - and often crashes in the process, you type and the text shows up seconds later).
    • Copying files over the network as well as from disk to disk is slow.
    • The PC sometimes boots right into the UEFI BIOS with 368.xx drivers installed.
    • The Mouse pointer in Windows sometimes "Freezes" and doesn't update for several seconds.
    • Addendum to what Darren posted about the invalid "stub has received bad data" error: I'm getting it randomly no matter which program or App I start, be it game, Windows Store App, Desktop program, Nvidia Control Panel even sometimes when I click options in the Control Panel, Windows Settings, etc.. Sometimes it doesn't appear for hours, sometimes it just bombards you with every second try to start a program.
    • GOG Galaxy, Steam, Origin, Uplay, Battle.net launcher, Epic Games Launcher, SWTOR Launcher, LOTRO Launcher and other game launchers occasionally have problems downloading updates and patches.
    • I sometimes notice that after I install 368.xx drivers, Windows gets deactivated (although it usually re-activates itself pretty quickly).
    • Addendum to the nvwgf2umx.dll workaround: For me DirectX feature level reverts to 9.3 if I remove this file or replace it with an earlier version that also fixes all these non-game related issues.
    • I've tried several clean Windows Installs with the 1511 version as well as the latest Insider Preview (everything at stock clocks, all devices but mouse and keyboard unplugged, nothing but what Windows originally loads on startup, just the drivers that come with Windows 10, no additional software except what Windows 10 Pro 64 bit installs either) and the issues appear even without any further drivers or software installed as soon as I install any 368.xx drivers. Once I uninstall 368.xx drivers and install 365.19 drivers or earlier, all the issues vanish.
    • The problems with the drivers seem to be the same with every one of the Windows 10 Pro 64 bit builds I've tried (Regular 1511 10586.0, Regular 1511 10586.420, Insider preview build 14361).

Programs I normally run on Startup:
    Note that I've also done several clean Windows Installs of 1511 as well as the latest Insider Preview build without anything on startup and still had the same issues, so it might not be relevant at all:
    • Classic Start Menu (Classic Shell 4.2.7)
    • Creative UpdReg (required by Sound Blaster drivers)
    • CTXFIHLP (required by Sound Blaster drivers)
    • DS4Windows (DualShock 4 Xinput wrapper)
    • Logitech Gaming Framework (Logitech Gaming Software for G700s Mouse and G19s Keyboard)
    • MSI Afterburner 4.3.0 Beta 4

My System Specifications:
    Cooler Master HAF X Case
    Corsair Professional Series™ Gold AX1200 80 PLUS® Gold Certified Fully-Modular 1200 Watt Power Supply
    Corsair Hydro Series H100 Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler with four Corsair Fans in Push/Pull configuration
    Gigabyte Killer Gaming G1.Assassin2 Mainboard (UEFI BIOS F13c)
    Intel Core i7 3930K @ 4.3GHz
    32GB DDR3-1600 Quad Channel RAM (4x8GB Corsair Vengeance CMZ32GX3M4A1600C9 Quad Channel Kit)
    EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX Titan X Hybrid 12GB PCI-Express 3.0 Video Card
    LG 32LB561V Full-HD LED TV @ 1920x1080 @ 60Hz
    LG 42LA6608 42" Smart TV @ 1920x1080 @ 60Hz
    Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi CA20k2 16MB X-RAM onboard (X-Fi Support Pack 3.7 Drivers)
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Surround Speakers
    Intel® PRO/1000 PT Server Ehternet Adapter
    Bigfoot Networks Killer E2100 onboard Gaming NIC
    1x 250GB Samsung SSD 850 Evo 250GB SATAIII Solid State Disk (OS Drive)
    1x 512GB Samsung SSD 840 Pro 512GB SATAIII Solid State Disk
    1x 960GB OCZ Trion 150 - SATA 3 2.5" SSD
    1x 2TB Seagate Barracuda XT 7200.12 SATAIII HDD
    1x 2TB Western Digital Caviar Black SATAIII HDD
    LG BH10LS SATA BlueRay Writer
    Logitech G19s Gaming Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless Keyboard K270
    Logitech G700s Rechargeable Wireless Laser Gaming Mouse
    2x Sony DualShock 4 Controller (1 via CronusMax, 1 via direct Blue Tooth connection and DS4Windows)
    3x Xbox One Wireless Controller (via Xbox One Wireless Receiver for Windows 10)[/url]
    Microsoft Sidewinder Precision 2 USB Joystick
    Microsoft LifeCam Studio 1080p
    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64 bit (Version 1511 OS Build 10586.420)

Cable Internet Connection 250/250MBit/s

Notes:
    These notes may be of interest:
    • I am using a local user account with admin privileges on Windows 10 Pro 64 bit and only log into a Microsoft account for each Windows App whenever that's needed, in case that matters.
    • I have all the privacy options of Windows 10 enabled (although I had them at default settings whenever I tested with a clean install of Windows, so this might not matter).
      I run the included Windows Defender for protection.
    • I usually have all Windows user folders like Documents, Music, Video, etc. moved to my storage HDD with the drive letter Y: (but again, not with the clean install tests).
    • I use symbolic links for some games to link from the Origin folder on my HDD to one of the SSDs where the game resides (once again not relevant for the clean install tests I did).
    • I'm not using any Stardock Software.
    • I've scanned my system for Malware and Viruses with various reputable antivirus and anti-malware programs, none found anything wrong.
    • I've done various things to check for OS and disk corruption that are usually suggested to people bad stub errors on the net, none found any errors.

7. TheRyuu

TheRyuu Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080
    The start menu replacements load a module into explorer.exe so disabling this service really doesn't have much of an effect. You'd have to uninstall it entirely to remove its effect on the system (or somehow otherwise disable it if it's provided as an option). I only mention this because it's actually something which loads itself into a Windows executable and is technically "always running".

The point would be to disable things one by one to see if any effect is observed however as others have mentioned this kind of testing is likely to be impossible on your current system because there is simply too many variables to narrow it down, hardware, software or otherwise.

8. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    I am not 100% sure but I believe I first encountered the stub error when I was using MSI Afterburner v4.2.0 with the v368.22 driver as v4.3.0 Beta 4 was not available at the time so I do not think it is the cause. However, since I cannot be absolutely sure and it is one of the programs that many of Guru3Ders use then I will reinstall it and see if that is definitely the case. It seems unlikely though seeing as my issues are not related to games.

Well, yes, you are correct that I should do a clean install of Windows to be absolutely sure but I really do not have the time to do that, particularly as I have a lot of programs and games installed. It also does not change the fact that my PC is 100% stable and issue-free when using the v365.19 and earlier drivers (also confirmed by others as well). I feel that I would be wasting my time trying but, of course, it is an option that I will do as a last resort. Only a LAST resort though if everything I've tried does not work and NVIDIA fail to reproduce the issue.

9. endbase

endbase Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming
    Backup your windows in the state it now is with for example Macrium reflect you can use it for free with limitations and do an clean install and see. If it does'nt solve the problem just put back the backup. If it solves your problem mount your backup and copy the most important files back. You still have to install programs but it is the easiest way I can think of

10. Extraordinary

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    Wouldn't take 15 minutes, partition the drive, clean install 10 as dualboot, test, if it works you have your answer, if it still errors, boot back into your current install, delete that new partition, continue looking for the fault

It's going to be a hell of a lot quicker to test a clean install first, than doing it this way

And will immediately either rule out, or confirm the issue is with the current setup

11. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    It's not just my system that has these issues though. Several other people on this forum have the same issues who are using completely different hardware and software, many of whom likely are not running as many background processes as me and don't have nearly as many games or programs installed.

It could well be a conflict between changes that NVIDIA have made to nvwgf2umx.dll and a commonly used program that we are all using though such as Start10 I suppose. Only the NVIDIA driver team will know what these changes are and how they could affect the way Windows works.

12. endbase

endbase Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming
    Darren do you even want to solve this problem or just keep talking about it ?

No offense but my senses say that you do not pick up the esssential suggestions made by some people here like an clean install for example just to test it. Maybe I'm wrong but I had to say it.

No hard feelings I hope

13. TheRyuu

TheRyuu Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080
    This would be the simplest way to see if it's an issue with the drivers/hardware or a conflict with some other piece of software on your current setup and would be a good first step in figuring out the cause.

And if you're worried about any issues with the current setup that could result from this just unplug all your current drives before doing this (which is really what you should be doing with a clean Windows install in any case).

14. VAlbomb

VAlbomb Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia G1 Gaming GTX 970
    I've done two clean installs and the problem happens even without any extra software installed just the Windows updates and Firefox, this is a issue created by the driver itself or some Windows update.
    I've done Ram testing using memtest86+ for hours
    CPU testing for days.
    GPU too, everything stock clocks.

The issue still happens with the 368.xx drivers, reverting to an older version of the driver solves the issues completely.

15. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 2080 Ti
    Not really, it must be something that comes with Windows if it is indeed a software conflict, since I did several clean installs without any additional software or drivers installed (even with the Ethernet cable unplugged at one or two tries) and the problems still appeared once I installed any 368.xx driver.

Check out my post, I've now updated it with details.

By the way, Darren (and everyone else with the problem), it might be a good idea to post your full system specs so everyone could compare those and see if there are any common denominators.

So far we both seem to have Intel CPUs (although from different generations), Corsair memory, Big Maxwell video cards and Creative Sound Blaster audio devices.

16. endbase

endbase Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming
    Sounds like you put a lot of effort in it too bad it is not solved and that NVIDIA can't reproduce the problem ! I would keep digging untill I would find it but sometimes that even does not work

17. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    @ endbase - I have not discounted doing a clean Windows install; I am just leaving it as the absolute last resort as I believe I would be wasting my time.

I have used DDU v16.0.0.2 to do a completely clean install of the v368.51 driver, choosing the Custom with Clean Install option and deselecting the two 3D modules (as I always do as I have no need of those). Once rebooted, I have left the game profiles as they are for the time being (I have made a backup) but will reimport them via the GeForce 3D SLI Manager Tool later. I have also disabled ALL of the programs showing in Startup Manager plus several additional ones in Services, such as WindowFX and WindowBlinds, which were both set to Manual before but not in use. I also set Start10 to disabled as well.

After a restart, I have been using Windows for the past hour. The first thing I noticed was how much snappier it felt in general use; windows and programs seem to open much quicker. The first thing I checked was the Windows Store and, sure enough, Check for Updates appears to be working... I see the cursor spinning for a few seconds then it stops. I have also been opening as many programs and applications as I can for the past 45 minutes I have been unable to reproduce the "stub received bad data" errror.

It's still too early to know for sure since it may be placebo and the issues may well occur later on. The stub error itself is intermittent and fairly infrequent. I will use my PC normally as it is and then later on re-enable programs two or three at a time, reboot then see if any of the issues resurface. Will post an update tonight.

P.S. I had to re-enable Start10, which does not seem to be causing any problems so far, because I was unable to find out how to open the Event log otherwise! OneDrive was also enabled when I opened OneNote (part of the Microsoft Office 2016 suite).

18. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    @ Cave Winder - My system specs are as follows:

System Specifications

25" Dell U2515H monitor (2560x1440) using miniDisplayPort
    Corsair K70 RGB gaming keyboard
    Corsair M65 RGB gaming mouse
    Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced case
    Intel Core i7-4770K @ 4.0 GHz
    Noctua NH-D14 cooler
    ASUS Z87-Deluxe motherboard v2103
    16 GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1,600 MHz DDR3 memory
    6 GB EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti SC graphics card
    Creative Sound Blaster Z sound card
    256 GB Crucial m4 SSD (boot)
    2 x 3 TB Seagate Barracuda SATAIII hard drives
    1 x 2 TB Western Digital Black SATAIII hard drive
    1 x 1 TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 SATAII hard drive (internal backup)
    1 x 1 TB Samsung F2 USB hard drive (external backup)
    1 x 2 TB Seagate Backup Plus USB hard drive (external backup)
    2 x Samsung SH-B123L BD-ROM/DVD rewriters
    XFX Pro Series Black Edition 850W PSU
    Windows 10 Pro v1511 (Build 10586.446) (64-bit)

Note that I manually installed a new cumulative update KB3170410 last night while using the v365.19 driver from a post on the WindowsTen Forums: http://www.tenforums.com/windows-10...update-windows-10-version-1511-kb3170410.html

This update did not show up when I checked for updates under Settings > Updates & Security but it installed with no problems. I have no idea if that fixed anything but it might be worth trying if you are having the same issues as me. Can't hurt, can it?

(The update changes the Windows build from 10586.420 to 10586.446 by the way.)

19. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 Gaming 4G
    This is real easy, 2 ways to do it.
    easiest way is right click on window icon at lower left and pic event viewer.
    Second way is go to control panel>admin tools and pick event viewer.

20. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    I think I *may* have found the cause on my system.

I have been re-enabling programs in Startup Manager by setting them to Enable then choosing Run (so they start like they would with Windows). D3DOverrider, Content Manager for PlayStation, Battle.net, Origin, all seem to work fine and cause no issues.

I then decided to reimport my custom profiles using the GeForce 3D SLI Manager Tool as I do every time I install a new driver. After doing this and seeing the successfully imported message, I opened Windows Store and clicked Check for Updates. It does not complete and, in fact, is still running now, some 5 or 6 minutes later.

I will use Notepad++ to do a comparison between the default v368.51 profiles (which I saved immediately after doing a clean install of the v368.51 driver today) and the custom one I use. There must be a setting that is causing a conflict between the driver and Windows.

Does anyone else import custom profiles by any chance, either with NVIDIA's own tool or NVIDIA Inspector?

*EDIT*
    It *IS* the custom profiles... I just opened the NVIDIA Tool to reimport the default 368.51 profile again and got a "stub received bad data" error!

I've also confirmed that reimporting the original (untampered) profile for this driver allows the Windows Store to work properly again even without rebooting. Just ran Check for Updates and it completed after 5-10 seconds.