1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Struggling to overclock 4790k - help appreciated

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by Danny_G13, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti FE @ 2GHz
    So, 4790K is still a fine CPU but juuuust starting to get long in the tooth. Want to eke more out of it.

I'm on an Asus Z97A UEFI BIOS - and I've had misfiring results with overclocking.

I can get 4.5GHz but only by ramping the voltage up to around 1.450 and even then it's not overly stable. I can't help but feel I'm missing the subtlety to do this properly.

I'm discovering the cache voltage, ring (or something, dunno what it's called in my bios) cpu input voltage, LLC, and a bunch of other stuff which I'm struggling to use to good effect.

So, short and sweet - how do I get up to 4.7 (which this chip is supposed to do comfortably) and keep it stable?

I've looked up guides but they all say different things and few seem to cater for this motherboard.

Incidentally my cooler is a Corsair H60. Idle temps in summer (when really warm as it is right now in UK) are around 30-45. Load is roughly 70C without OC. Uses shin etsu btw.

Advice please! And appreciated.

2. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Strix
    Remember one thing not Every chip is going to hit 4.5 or 4.7 ghz its called silicon lottery for a reason my brother.I had my 4790k up to 4.8 ghz on a 120mm liquid cooler like urs but....I always used the overclocking (auto) feature on my board which btw was a Gigabyte Z97x Gaming 7.I honestly think you are ok at 4.5 ghz leave it there and just be happy.GL

jura11 likes this.
  3. jura11

jura11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080 Ti 1080 FE
    Hi there

As above @nz3777 pointed out, not every chip can do 4.7GHz or more, silicone gods or lottery plays big part

My old 4790k will do 4.6Ghz or 4.7GHz as max, 4.8ghz would be possible but I would need go beyond safe voltage in my view, that's on H100i V2 and temperatures has been not the best, my friend have my 4790k and we are used NH-D15 on his and he running 4.8Ghz on daily basis and no issues with temperatures, he is running 1.32v vCore, with H100i we couldn't break 4.7GHz without the temperatures started to creep to 90's

Regarding the TIM try Noctua NT-H1, its cheap and will perform bit better than Shin Etsu, used this TIM previously and after swapping to Noctua temperatures dropped by few degrees

I posted my settings in old Haswell thread few months or years back, maybe have somewhere screenshots here posted

Regarding the cooling, get better cooler like is Noctua NH-D15 or NH-D15S or Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT etc, yours temperatures will drop by good margin and you shouldn't run to issues with temperatures

And motherboard, these cheaper board usually don't have best VRM and they can limit yours OC, this has happened to my friend, on one cheaper board we couldn't push beyond 4.5Ghz and with better board we could push well above to 4.7GHz

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

nz3777 likes this.
  4. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    Keep cache alone
    LLC 7 or 8

Digi+, set cpu current vrm to extreme and 130%

Input voltage 1.82v for starters
    Cpuv depends, whats your stock voltage at load, I doubt its more then 1.25v

Set it to 1.30v and 4.6Ghz and go from there..
    Cpu system agent, set offset 0.100v+ for starters,

Also disable spread spectrum, all the way on the bottom.

jura11 likes this.

5. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti FE @ 2GHz
    Thank you all for the replies. TJ, cheers, I'll try those!

6. DAW40

DAW40 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1060 6GB
    I don't get it Tj, with 1.30v you can go to 4.6Ghz ? He was using 1.45v and could barely do 4.6Ghz

I would take nz37777 advice and be happy with 4.5Ghz, I mean really 4.5 or 4.6,,,,, theres no difference except in benchmarks. I think for 4.5Ghz you would need 1.42v for complete stability, however watch your temps my friend.

nz3777 likes this.
  7. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti FE @ 2GHz
    I did try 4.6 but got no stability. I feel like I'm getting somewhere on 4.5 with LLC. But I still haven't got the reliability zoned in. Temps are ok at 4.5 also. Just need to figure out how to keep it stable?

8. Dragondale13

Dragondale13 Maha Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC 1070 AMP!
    nvm

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  9. DAW40

DAW40 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1060 6GB
    I think a vcore of 1.430v with LLC set you should be fine, also enable PLL and do no power savings stuff. Then run your stress test and tell us what happens and tell us the temps your getting. What cooler you using btw. Thanks

10. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    Some motherboards auto overvolt waaay too much.. that's why I suggested start with 1.30v

@Danny_G13
    Then try again at 1.30v, but this time Llc8, and cpu system agent 0.150+ offset

By input voltage, disable it and manually enter 1.82, or go a little higher 1.85v

Also by cpu power section (just bellow digi+ section) disable fault check or something like that, it will describe what is recommended disabled if OC'ing.
    There are two settings there..

Btw by cpuv set fixed voltage, dont OC with adaptive for now. Switch to adaptive later once you find your stable oc.

I still think 1.40v is not ok for base 4.4ghz, that a turbo turd if its true.. even normal 4770k weren't so bad in general.

Ok my 4770k was a bit of a golden chip - it can do 4.7ghz @ 1.285v, but still..

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
    Organik likes this.

11. DAW40

DAW40 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1060 6GB
    I can do 4200Mhz with your voltage Tj LOL. Anything higher its not gonna boot up. So then OC some more and break records for that chip. BTW how many cores is that 4770k. Thanks

12. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
  13. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti FE @ 2GHz
    Ok I've just done all this. I'll see if it works! Idle temp around 45C.

-Tj- likes this.
  14. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti FE @ 2GHz
    Ok VERY VERY VERY early impressions seem good, via TJ's advice. Was able to play a fair bit of ACO and the temp only maxed to 85C with most cores being noticeably less.

fwiw I don't trust P95 or Linx stress tests - I've passed those before on unstable systems. The best stress test really is just using the damn thing.

Thanks to all replies - I'll pop back in if/when this goes pear shaped!

-Tj- likes this.
  15. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti FE @ 2GHz
    PS DAW40 asked what cooler I had - mentioned it in the first post. Corsair H60. It's clearly not sufficient any more. It was good back in the day but I think it may have run its race now. PPS I'd only go with an AIO liquid cooler now.

16. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    Good luck! :)

17. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti FE @ 2GHz
    Thank you.

I bit the bullet and went for P95 (2.66).

10 minutes small FFT 20 minutes large (heat).

Thanks to your advice (added some extra v in core offset and input) despite the temps under P95 (essentially about 100C but no other app will ever get as high as that and I intend to get a new AIO) it was stable. Actually stable.

We'll see how long this lasts but it's a good start.

18. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti FE @ 2GHz
    Got 20 minutes of ACO before it hard locked. This is why I don't trust stability tests. Can pass them fine but then something else cr*ps out. I just cannot seem to quite get this to stick. Never have been able to get 4.5 to dial in at all. I've put vcore up to 1.4. Any other ideas?

19. Passus

Passus Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 3GB
    My 4790k runs at 4.5 with auto voltage which maxes out at 1.256v everything else is left at auto .. msi h97 pcmate mobo

stock is 1.216v so it only gets a tiny jump to keep the clocks at 4.5

all cores run at 4.5 in games not just 2

20. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti FE @ 2GHz
    Yeah that ain't working for me. I've tried for four years to have a stable rig at 4.5. It just isn't happening. Maybe the Z95X boards from Asus aren't the best for OC. Or maybe my cooler just ain't cutting it. Who knows.