Stretch screen mania with most games on Ultra-Wide 21:9

Discussion in 'Game Tweaks and Modifications' started by DSparil, Mar 11, 2018.

1. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    So I have an LG Ultra-Wide monitor, and am very familiar with the Flawless Widescreen app to apply a resolution fix for games. The problem is, its game list is very short imo and dosen't cover most of what I play. I just picked up Castlevania: LoS Mirror of Fate on the cheap and guess what? Doesn't work with Flawless Widescreen. In game, the highest res I can go is standard HD 16:9 ratio @ 1920x1080 and I cannot adjust for 21:9. Everything is super stretched out and looks like crap, or I have to play in windowed mode.

I know some guru's here have to have a fix or a workaround for this. I gotta get that 2560x1080 resolution going in these games. Is there a way to add custom games to Flawless Widescreen maybe? Castlevania LOS Mirror doesn't appear to have an adjustable .ini file in the Steam game files, so I don't what to do with this one. I love the monitor, but this is really annoying... :mad:

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  2. mansonfamily

mansonfamily Member

GPU:
    MSI 2080 Ventus OC
    wsgf.org is a site where you can find ultrawide solutions for a lot of games(Games DB/Master games List). For this particular game the 21/9 solution is hexedit the exe (a drm free one).

DSparil likes this.
  3. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    Great source, thanks. So I've followed the fix for one particular game, and it required unpacking the .exe file and doing a hexedit on a couple things. I'm a bit new to all of this though, so can you or anyone tell me how to "repack" the stuff I just unpacked? I've made the necessary edits, but now the files are unpacked and the game will not run without the intact .exe file, not all unpacked into different files...

4. mansonfamily

mansonfamily Member

GPU:
    MSI 2080 Ventus OC
    You do not unpack or repack nothing. Just open hexedit program (HxD.exe), then File - Open and choose the .exe you want to edit. Do your modifies then File - Save. That's all. The program will create also a backup of the original (unmodified) executable in case of something goes wrong.

5. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    ^Tried it following the hexedit fix on that website to a T, and now the game won't even launch. "Failed to start. Steam error code 51". I can't win with this crap!

6. Zer01neDev

Zer01neDev Guest

GPU:
    MSi GTX 970 GAMING 4G
  7. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    Yeah, sadly some of these fixes do not work. For example, with Castlevania Mirror of Fate, the game will not launch once you Hexedit the .exe file. I spoke with the creator and he said the file has to be unpacked first with Steamless before doing the edit. I tried that route and guess what? When you go to launch the game, Steam just automatically re-downloads the original CMOF.exe file and runs the game from that.