Streaming 4K/HDR Content on PC - Not for us!

Discussion in 'The HTPC, HDTV & Ultra High Definition section' started by dk_lightning, May 11, 2024.

1. dk_lightning

dk_lightning Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070Ti
    Unless you use Netflix that is.

Why is it Disney, Amazon, Paramount and im sure others do not let PC users stream 4K/HDR??

I have a HDR display, 4K resolution, Fast internet and a PC more than capable.

Am I doing something wrong so I don't get it?

I do get HDR stuff to work sometimes on Amazon Prime Video when using Chrome but not when using the Windows App.

What gives.. It's so frustrating to watch 1080p content on a 4k 32" screen. It looks "ok" but 4k on Netflix with HDR support is much better IMO. So if Netflix can do it whats the excuse of everyone else?

I am now looking at getting a cheap-ish 4k 50-55 inch HDR capable TV (At least HDR 600 like my monitor)

/rant

2. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Here's my guesses:

It's a business decision based on the cost of traffic per account / subscription first (as you don't get highest bitrates either, under any paying circumstances).
    Then there might be the idea that they don't even want you to use a PC to stream in the first place. Yes, this is an agenda, since PC users are better at tackling too nosy ads and data grabs.
    Third, since I used the apps on TVs for different streaming services, I always had to admit to myself, subjectively Netflix has the best UI of those I've tested, and the most responsive and quickest to load app too.

pegasus1 likes this.
  3. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    Its probably a piracy thing, the PC isn't locked down hard enough.

pegasus1 and GoldenTiger like this.
  4. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    PS5 + UHD disc + AV hardware = Max enjoyment.