Strange slow downs in DX11 games

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Mikel7, May 27, 2010.

1. Mikel7

Mikel7 Member Guru

GPU:
    Gainward/GTX970/4096Mb
    I have some strange slow downs in games like just cause 2 and AvP.Suddenly while playing the framerate drops from 60fps to 30fps without any reason and then it goes up to 60fps again.
    Have a Gtx 470 which reaches 80-84°C while playing. I happens with 197.xx drivers and 257.15 driver.
    Anyone got an idea what could be wrong?

2. E.J.Smith

E.J.Smith Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce Titan
    I have been experiencing similar strange slowdowns in games such as ME2 using any of the 197.xx and 257.xx drivers with my GTX 470. I've resorted to uninstalling monitoring software such as EVGA Precision and Rivatuner with the result being that I've gone from slowdowns to lock-ups. After reading several threads on the topic my thought is that it's a driver issue which will be worked out as Nvidia drivers mature for the 400 series cards.

3. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    Just cause is brutal and AVP is poorly optimised...problem solved.

4. Wohlrajh

Wohlrajh Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX980 Gaming 4G
    I have the same "problem" with Just Cause 2 on my GTX480 with both 197.xx and 257.15. AvP is running fine for me though, I have some FPS drops but less noticeable than for Just Cause 2.

I first imagined that was how the game is regarding Just Cause 2, because my FPS drop from 60+ FPS to 35-40 but in general that's when I make quick turns with my mouse and also when I am running in "deep" forest zones. That's kinda annoying but I don't know if this is normal (ie if everyone is experiencing this) or if this is driver related.

In which cases do you have slowdowns on JC2 & AvP ? Is it regularly (on a same action - for example drops when you simply run) or is it like me only on specific cases ?

Just Cause 2 & AvP are GPU intensive, but they should work smoothly with a GTX470.

5. Mikel7

Mikel7 Member Guru

GPU:
    Gainward/GTX970/4096Mb
    No specific cases, sometimes the same action runs at 60fps and then the next time it suddenly slows down to 30fps. Sometimes it gets slower when I just run around or drive in a car with nearly nothing around and on another screen where really a lot is to calculate it runs at 60 fps its very strange and random.

6. Wohlrajh

Wohlrajh Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX980 Gaming 4G
    Do you have exactly 60 FPS and 30 FPS or is it an approximation ? I'm saying this because that's maybe a VSync problem if this is the case. I had this problem on BFBC2, the Vsync off option that wasn't working properly apparently.. I just turned it on and off again, saved and that was ok.

When I hear drops from 60 to 30 FPS, the first thing that comes to my mind is Vsync on. If you have a 60hz monitor, and basically your GPU can handle an operation it will render a scene at 60 FPS, if not in general you will have a drop of a percentage (45, 30 FPS, etc). You maybe already know that, but check in you control panel if Vsync is off or application controled.

Also, 80-84° is ok for your card so that's not the problem ;)

7. mark007

mark007 Member

GPU:
    XFX GTX 295
    With my GTX295, I got slowdowns also today in Street Fighter 4 from what looked like 60 -> 30, then for the game to go into a sort of slow motion mode, where everything actually moved twice as slow. This was with new 257 driver.

8. eternitykh

eternitykh Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 670 FTW+ 4GB SLI
    Like Wohlrajh said,
    this sounds exactly like Vsync is on. default vsync is say 60fps on a 60hz refreshrate, if the frame rates cannot keep up @ 60fps, it'll drop down to 30fps, so it's still a divisible, that's roughly how vsync works, it puts a cap on framerates to the next closest divisible.

and for mark007's case, that sounds like a frame skipping issue?

9. dnottis

dnottis Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA SSC 970 GTX 4GB
    Force triple buffering on in the NV CP.

10. nikavelli

nikavelli Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 780 Ti
    Forcing triple buffering in the NV CP works for OpenGL games only.

In order to enable triple buffering for Direct3D games (which are the vast majority), the game has to support it in its in-game video options. If those options do not exist, you need a 3rd party program like D3DOverrider (comes with the RivaTuner 2.4.2 download suite on the frontpage).

11. Mikel7

Mikel7 Member Guru

GPU:
    Gainward/GTX970/4096Mb
    Thx fixed my problem was really Vsync never thought it would do smthg like that.

Get now between 71 and 57 fps in Just cause 2.

12. ricardonuno1980

ricardonuno1980 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 780Ti Classified :D
    you dropped normally 60 to 30fps running your monitor 60Hz because vsync is enabled without triple buffer.
    eg: 60Hz - 60fps, 60/2 fps, 60/3 fps
    75Hz - 75 fps, 75/2....
    triple buffer improves performance for vsync enabled.

but... WARNING triple buffer may damage to vram (memory onboard videocard)!!

13. DrHycodan

DrHycodan Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 2080
    I've never heard of triple buffering actually damaging any hardware.

14. Nuke_Meltdown

Nuke_Meltdown Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX580 SLI
    We need some source...Sounds weird and never heard of...!

15. GhostXL

GhostXL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Merc 319 6800 XT
    no....no it does not...

The feature would not be there if it did such a thing. Even developers add it in some of their games as an in-game option.

16. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    i've been usign Triple Buffer since the 3dfx days, this never happened.

17. Renegade8100

Renegade8100 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    lmao your reaction was best

18. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    Of course it isn't possible to damage VRAM by enabling triple buffering. All this does is store a little extra information. It doesn't change any settings or voltages or anything.

Would be like saying running two instances of photoshop will damage your RAM.

19. ThEcLiT

ThEcLiT Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 460 1gb OC
    Rivatuner's D3DOverrider is the best solution for this.

20. ricardonuno1980

ricardonuno1980 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 780Ti Classified :D
    ok. but...yes! buffering may appear BSOD/freeze or damage vram only for more than 30~50% used of vram.
    I disabled immediately triple buffering for fix BSOD/freeze problems since on feburary, 2009 :) but I miss buffering. :( ;)

I tested triple buffer enabled for opengl programs as Stellarium, Celestia... or samples opengl - I waited to quit during 2 seconds any program. lool
    running non-triple buffer, I quited without any queue. lool :)
    do you remember?