Strange Hard disks performance..

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by flyinfinn2, Jul 2, 2007.

1. flyinfinn2

flyinfinn2 Member Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX260 216sp
    Hello guys, 3 days ago i upgraded my pc from a xp3000+ and a asrock k7s41gs and 1gb of ram 400mhz, to the system in my profile.
    Before upgrade, i bought a new hdd, a seagate 160gb 8mb buffer, model st3160815a. i installed it on my old system and was fine, very fine.
    But with the new system, my two hdd performs strange, taking 2 or so seconds to enter in any folder, and pressing back button takes another 2 or so seconds.. my 2 hdd are IDE, not sata yet. the main hdd is the new, and the second is a 120gb 2mb buffer, a bit old, but always workerd like a dream. enter on some folder of the second hdd(old), takes me 10 seconds, like my Fs2004 addons folder(32gb) and this never had this problem..
    as i come from a old technology and mobo, i dont know how tweak my m2n-e sli, im sure is a good mobo, but i dont know exactly what to touch. All my games works very fine in fps, no problems. but in rfactor(racing game) sometimes my hdd works when loading textures, then is fine, again never had this problem even with my old system!.
    I upgraded the mobo bios to the latest, i have all the latest nforce 500 drivers, defraged the 2 hdds... same problem. some settings in bios are AUTO, like PIO mode(What is this? :approval: ) and UDM5 mode 5.
    Some help to solve this problem? well, is not a big problem at all, but is stressed when im working some hours...

Main HDD are on the primary IDE channel alone, and my second HDD are on the secondary ide channel with my DVD. hdd master, dvd slave.

Well, thanks gurus!

2. Solinari

Solinari Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI N560GTX-Ti Twin Frozr
    I don't really know what kind of hard drives you have or what they support, but UDMA-5 is one lower than the maximum transfer speed for an IDE, it should be UDMA-6.

Try Everest Ultimate Edition, then look in 'Storage' and 'ATA' to see what your drives are capable of and what the current mode is.

This may well not make any difference, but if it's set at a lower transfer mode than it supports, then you may as well know about it and change it.

3. CTman

CTman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 6800 V9999
    Seagate PATA ide Harddrives only support up to UDMA 5 (ATA100);

More info:
    http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/products/desktops/barracuda_hard_drives/
    http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/products/desktops/diamondmax/
    http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/products/desktops/internal_3.5_inch_hard_drive/

Check whether the harddrives are in DMA mode instead of PIO mode (via control panel>>System>>Hardware>>Device Manager>>IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers>>Primary/secondary IDE Channel>>advanced settings;

If the harddrives are in pio mode you can revert the setting back to dma; more in this guide:
    http://winhlp.com/WxDMA.htm

Good luck!

Last edited: Jul 2, 2007
  4. flyinfinn2

flyinfinn2 Member Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX260 216sp
    hello guys..
    it seems that all the settings was correct in windows and bios, UDMA mode 5 is enable in bios and in windows. i doint know what to do. i finished defrag disk c:, and nothing changed, 2 seconds to enter in a folder, and a lot of work.
    :coffee2:

thanks

5. flyinfinn2

flyinfinn2 Member Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX260 216sp
    At least i know for sure that is a software problem. simply because if i load windows in safe mode, the problem is gone completly, but with windows loaded normally, the problem comes back. im dont know which kind of sortware can be the problem. :(

6. flyinfinn2

flyinfinn2 Member Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX260 216sp
    Ok guys, it seems that the problem is solved, at least i can access my folders with no delay, or minimal delay. and i dont know why is solved now:deflate:

7. CTman

CTman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 6800 V9999
    Maybe the problem was caused by using a dual core processor in combination with Windows XP sp2 and have enabled Cool 'n' quiet.

You have enabled Cool 'n' Quiet and are using Windows XP sp2? If yes, then install the MS dualcore hotfix (for Intel and AMD dual-core processors) or the AMD dual-core optimizer (for AMD X2 dual-core processors) if you haven't installed them.

And how much capacity are there left in the harddrives (in %)?

Good luck!

Last edited: Jul 3, 2007
  8. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AorusXtreme 1080Ti
    PIO is crap and hangs the system, you should be able to change it in the System devices for the primary and secondary IDE channels to use DMA if available instead of PIO, as this just happened recently im guessing its incorrectly on PIO( used to kill my old Dell when the DVD was on PIO )