Strange game crash; Colored Polygons

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Underwoa, Nov 14, 2015.

1. Underwoa

Underwoa Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970 4GB
    (Gif of what is happening):https://imgflip.com/gif/u4gqm

So THAT keeps happening on a semi-regular basis (meaning sometimes I can play for 45 minutes to like 3 hours before anything starts happening and sometimes it starts immediately upon loading into the game EDIT: It is now consistently happening shortly after I begin playing.) usually resulting in what seems to be a driver issue with the message at the bottom of my screen (after the game closes) saying: "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered...Display driver NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 358.91 stopped responding and has successfully recovered."

What exactly is going on here? I have been browsing everywhere trying to find a solution but have yet to really find anyone else with this problem. I have tried reinstalling my drivers a few times (clean installs), re-seating the GPU/power cables, UNDERCLOCKING my GPU and a few other things.

If anyone has any insight here or knows a better place to take this then please help...

Specs Below:

-GeForce GTX 970 (MSI)
    -i5-6600 @3.3GHz
    -16GB RAM
    -Windows 7
    -Resolution: 1920x1200
    -On NVIDIA driver 358.91 (cannot rollback)

If I end up needing a new GPU would you recommend I get an exact replacement or new model/brand? Not sure if this is a common issue or just unlucky. I assume there are a lot of people out there uaing this card for a while with no issues.

Anything else you need to know ask and I will tell you. Thanks!

2. HellSpawn2097

HellSpawn2097 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX4080 S
    Those are called artifacts, could be overheating GPU or bad memory on your GPU.
    Check your temps and if those are good, my bet goes to bad video memory.
    In that case, rma your graphics card.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2015
  3. Underwoa

Underwoa Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970 4GB
    Yeah the Temps are never higher than 55 C so I guess it is an RMA huh?

4. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    Bad VRAM?

Try underclocking the VRAM.

5. Underwoa

Underwoa Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970 4GB
    Unfortunately not. I underclocked already and then just again very dramatically. It still didn't resolve but even if it had I figure it is best to RMA as I didn't intend to pay for something I don't get to use. Thanks for the replies! :)

Perhaps there are other fixes but if I can't resolve it then I will ship it back Monday.

6. CrunchyBiscuit

CrunchyBiscuit Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti
    Yes, it really seems the card is bad unfortunately.

You could try adding some extra volts, it might help. Best is to RMA it indeed.

Good luck!